What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

You need to stop talking about things you know nothing about @The Great Dane.

It's moronic to suggest the Crushers' brand wasn't shithouse and a contradiction of a previous post you made, where you said "South Queensland" is too generic and won't appeal to anyone.

Screenshot_20201123-142155.png

Think before you contradict yourself, FFS.

How exactly did "Crushers" reflect Brisbane?

Its logo was of an old steam engine train from the early 20th century carrying sugar cane.

South-Queensland-Crushers-640x576.jpg

South east Queensland isn't known as a sugar cane producing area. So that's a massive fail right there. It felt like a country team from northern Queensland based out of Brisbane, representing no one from the area.

Redcliffe Dolphins won't just be representing Redcliffe. It covers all of Moreton Bay Region, which is bigger than the shithole regional city your team is based in.

Moreton Bay Region
469,465 (2019)

https://profile.id.com.au/moreton-bay/#:~:text=Welcome to the Moreton Bay Region Community Profile,and 44 kilometres north of the Brisbane CBD.

Canberra
452,000 (2019)

https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/206175/canberra/population#:~:text=Canberra - Historical Population Data , 1.38% 67 more rows

They'll also represent Sunshine Coast Region.

Sunshine Coast Region
384,301 (2019)

https://profile.id.com.au/rda-sunshine-coast/about#:~:text=The 2019 Estimated Resident Population for the RDA,a population density of 1.22 persons per hectare.

If you're against that then go advocate for the Raiders to be relocated to Perth.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach

It's moronic to suggest the Crushers' brand wasn't shithouse and a contradiction of a previous post you made, where you said "South Queensland" is too generic and won't appeal to anyone.

View attachment 44042

Its logo was of an old steam engine train from the early 20th century carrying sugar cane.

View attachment 44043

South east Queensland isn't known as a sugar cane producing area. So that's a massive fail right there. It felt like a country team from northern Queensland based out of Brisbane, representing no one from the area.

Redcliffe Dolphins won't just be representing Redcliffe. It covers all of Moreton Bay Region, which is bigger than the shithole regional city your team is based in.

Moreton Bay Region
469,465 (2019)

https://profile.id.com.au/moreton-bay/#:~:text=Welcome to the Moreton Bay Region Community Profile,and 44 kilometres north of the Brisbane CBD.

Canberra
452,000 (2019)

https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/206175/canberra/population#:~:text=Canberra - Historical Population Data , 1.38% 67 more rows

They'll also represent Sunshine Coast Region.

Sunshine Coast Region
384,301 (2019)

https://profile.id.com.au/rda-sunshine-coast/about#:~:text=The 2019 Estimated Resident Population for the RDA,a population density of 1.22 persons per hectare.

If you're against that then go advocate for the Raiders to be relocated to Perth.

There are sugar mills around Beenleigh actually. Bundaberg isn't north QLD either, it's still closer to Brisbane than Townsville.

Who says Redcliffe is representing Moreton Bay? just because they say they represent that area doesn't mean they do.... and no one identifies with Moreton Bay anyway.

flippikat

Bench
Large area my arse.

It's a tiny insular peninsula, literally Brisbane's answer to Manly.

Exactly. And the argument that it'll be a Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast team kinda pulls it away from the need for a 2nd BRISBANE team.

I'm seriously believing now that once Greater Brisbane gets a 2nd team, it'll be a long time (if ever) before it gets a 3rd.

My past thoughts of "maybe Redcliffe, then maybe a Western Corridor team after that" are meaningless, when considering the stark reality that the NRL (and by extension, the NSWRL "old boys" network) are taking their own good time over just a SECOND Brisbane club.. and will have to be dragged kicking & screaming to consider anything beyond that (Brisbane or elsewhere).

T-Boon

Coach
Exactly. And the argument that it'll be a Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast team kinda pulls it away from the need for a 2nd BRISBANE team.

I'm seriously believing now that once Greater Brisbane gets a 2nd team, it'll be a long time (if ever) before it gets a 3rd.

My past thoughts of "maybe Redcliffe, then maybe a Western Corridor team after that" are meaningless, when considering the stark reality that the NRL (and by extension, the NSWRL "old boys" network) are taking their own good time over just a SECOND Brisbane club.. and will have to be dragged kicking & screaming to consider anything beyond that (Brisbane or elsewhere).

Greater Brisbane Dolphins

Vee

First Grade
South Queensland is so broad that it's almost meaningless, it's trying to be everything to everyone. So I wouldn't go with South Queensland, I'd go with a more geographically targeted, but still broad, region, something like e.g. South Brisbane Crushers.

But you get the general idea though, a neutral brand that can represent a lot of people.
South Brisbane is a suburb. Perhaps the SEQ Crushers?

flippikat

Bench
Greater Brisbane Dolphins

I'm still not 100% convinced.

Yes, it's using a bigger name than just the suburb.. and if it's playing the vast majority of home games at Suncorp, that's another big tick... BUUUUT I'm not sure if the Dolphins will appeal outside their traditional suburban base.

There are sugar mills around Beenleigh actually. Bundaberg isn't north QLD either, it's still closer to Brisbane than Townsville.

Of the 22 sugar mills operating in Queensland, none are located in the Greater Brisbane area. Of the 2 that are located in southern Queensland, one is in Wide Bay and the other in Gold Coast City.

17 are located in North Queensland.

3 are located in Bundaberg.

You could include Bundaberg as "South Queensland", but it has bugger all in common with Brisbane, which is where the Crushers were based.
Who says Redcliffe is representing Moreton Bay? just because they say they represent that area doesn't mean they do.... and no one identifies with Moreton Bay anyway.
Redcliffe Dolphins say it on their website.

Will the Dolphins NRL team be called the Redcliffe Dolphins and will they wear the same colours and jersey as the Redcliffe Dolphins QLD Cup team?

The new Dolphins team will represent Brisbane and the whole of SEQ and be positioned as a second Brisbane team. The club intend to work with the community to look at what the club is to be named in reference to Brisbane and the SEQ region it will play out of as part of the bid process. The team will represent not only, Brisbane but also the Moreton Bay, Redlands, Logan and Sunshine Coast areas and the larger SEQ region. The NRL team will NOT be called Redcliffe. The team will have its football and administration operations based at the Redcliffe Headquarters which is only 25mins from Brisbane airport and just over 30mins from the Brisbane City.​

The Dolphins NRL team will keep the Red and White colours but will add an additional colour to the NRL team. The plan is to engage the local SEQ community to help decide what additional colour should be added for the new Dolphins NRL team.

http://www.dolphinsnrl.com.au/credentials/
If I was in charge I would call them the East Coast Dolphins.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade

Your comprehension skills are so unbelievably bad that it's f**king impossible to talk to you!

I never said the Crushers brand was good, in fact I passed no judgment on their brand at all.

All I said was that they didn't fail because of their brand, like you were making out. Which they didn't by the way, they failed because of bad finances and a bit of bad luck and poor timing.
The Redcliffe Dolphins will only represent all of Moreton Bay and the Sunshine Coast in you're dreams, and it's hilarious that you, a person from f**king Logan, is calling Canberra a shithole, then again you are one of the most pig ignorant people I've ever met so I shouldn't be surprised.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Of the 24 sugar mills operating in Queensland, none are located in the Greater Brisbane area. Of the 22 that are located in southern Queensland, one is in Wide Bay and the other in Gold Coast City.

17 are located in North Queensland.

3 are located in Bundaberg.

You could include Bundaberg as "South Queensland", but it has bugger all in common with Brisbane, which is where the Crushers were based.

Redcliffe Dolphins say it on their website.

Will the Dolphins NRL team be called the Redcliffe Dolphins and will they wear the same colours and jersey as the Redcliffe Dolphins QLD Cup team?

The new Dolphins team will represent Brisbane and the whole of SEQ and be positioned as a second Brisbane team. The club intend to work with the community to look at what the club is to be named in reference to Brisbane and the SEQ region it will play out of as part of the bid process. The team will represent not only, Brisbane but also the Moreton Bay, Redlands, Logan and Sunshine Coast areas and the larger SEQ region. The NRL team will NOT be called Redcliffe. The team will have its football and administration operations based at the Redcliffe Headquarters which is only 25mins from Brisbane airport and just over 30mins from the Brisbane City.​

The Dolphins NRL team will keep the Red and White colours but will add an additional colour to the NRL team. The plan is to engage the local SEQ community to help decide what additional colour should be added for the new Dolphins NRL team.

http://www.dolphinsnrl.com.au/credentials/
Saying it and actually achieving it are two vastly different things.

On paper they may represent all of that area, but in reality the chances of them actually representing all of that area in a meaningful way are slim to none.

The Great Dane

First Grade
South Brisbane is a suburb. Perhaps the SEQ Crushers?
Broaden the meaning in the sporting context to mean everything south of the river and it'll work.

Broncos = North of the river.
New team = South of the river.

I'm was just spitballing anyway.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'm still not 100% convinced.

Yes, it's using a bigger name than just the suburb.. and if it's playing the vast majority of home games at Suncorp, that's another big tick... BUUUUT I'm not sure if the Dolphins will appeal outside their traditional suburban base.
I still think that Brisbane United Whatevers has a lot of merit.

LOL@ @The Great Dane saying my comprehension skills are bad, just as you did the very thing you wrongfully accused me of.

Screenshot_20201123-202858.png

I never accused you of saying the Crushers' brand was good you f**ken idiot. I said it's moronic to claim it wasn't shithouse.

You did say that "South Queensland" is "so broad that it's almost meaningless".

Screenshot_20201123-142155.png
The name "South Queensland" was part of the Crushers' brand, FFS.

So you think "South Queensland" or "Crushers" wasn't the reason the Crushers failed, but you don't want Brisbane 2 to be called "South Queensland" because it's "meaningless". That's some mental gymnastics right there.

You talk shit and when confronted about it you respond like a nutter.

Screenshot_20201123-204336.png
Mate, you're a dickhead.

It's "your dreams". Work on your grammar.

You're not in any position to say the Dolphins cannot represent Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast.

Tell me Einstein, exactly how have you come to the conclusion that the Dolphins will not resonate with residents of Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast?

Do you have some psychic power that allows you to know how everyone in those two regions think and feel?

Sunshine Coast is full of surfies, beach bums and retirees. Naming the club after a much revered marine mammal that's endemic to the Coral Sea and Moreton Bay has just as much chance of resonating with surfies, beach bums and retirees living along the coast as any other brand.

Canberra is a shithole. It's in the middle of no where, cold as f**k during the winter and hot during the summer. It relies heavily on the public sector and without it no one would bother to live there. Logan on the other hand is ideally located between Brisbane and Gold Coast, has a growing population and is attracting more private businesses each year. So yeah, I will say Logan is a better place to live than dreary old Canberra.

Last edited:

Jimmy Wiggle

Juniors
LOL@ @The Great Dane saying my comprehension skills are bad, just as you did the very thing you wrongfully accused me of.

View attachment 44062

I never accused you of saying the Crushers' brand was good you f**ken idiot. I said it's moronic to claim it wasn't shithouse.

You did say that "South Queensland" is "so broad that it's almost meaningless".

View attachment 44063
The name "South Queensland" was part of the Crushers' brand, FFS.

So you think "South Queensland" or "Crushers" wasn't the reason the Crushers failed, but you don't want Brisbane 2 to be called "South Queensland" because it's "meaningless". That's some mental gymnastics right there.

You talk shit and when confronted about it you respond like a nutter.

View attachment 44064
Mate, you're a dickhead.

It's "your dreams". Work on your grammar.

You're not in any position to say the Dolphins cannot represent Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast.

Tell me Einstein, exactly how have you come to the conclusion that the Dolphins will not resonate with residents of Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast?

Do you have some psychic power that allows you to know how everyone in those two regions think and feel?

Sunshine Coast is full of surfies, beach bums and retirees. Naming the club after a much revered marine mammal that's endemic to the Coral Sea and Moreton Bay has just as much chance of resonating with surfies, beach bums and retirees living along the coast as any other brand.

Canberra is a shithole. It's in the middle of no where, cold as f**k during the winter and hot during the summer. It relies heavily on the public sector and without it no one would bother to live there. Logan on the other hand is ideally located between Brisbane and Gold Coast, has a growing population and is attracting more private businesses each year. So yeah, I will say Logan is a better place to live than dreary old Canberra.

You think TheGreat Dane thinks he has psychic powers, you must think it also. No one knows whether the Sunny Coast or people living on Moreton Bay would support the Dolphins. Your just guessing like everyone else,
One thing that I know is all my former teammates (that I’m still in contact with) can’t stand Redcliffe. There are about 56 junior clubs in Brisbane & a lot of those clubs wouldn’t like them either.

Santino Patane

Juniors
So to clarify to those sane people that aren’t all over Rugby League in SEQ in this thread, it’s time to take “Get rid of the Donkeys” at face value- ie read his name and realise how ridiculous his ideas are. For a while I thought he had some reasonable points, but lately I realise how far off the reservation he is. When any sane League supporter considers disbanding one of the most successful clubs in Australian sport for any reason that won’t send the game back to the 70’s is their main idea, you need to figure they are either a troll (which I initially thought) or delusional.

The Crushers actually got their name from one of the more successful clubs on the old “North Coast League” (now known as Sunshine Coast) in Nambour. Their logo was a Cane Locomotive as there were a lot of Cane Farms around the area in the 20th century. I know this for two reasons- 1. I grew up on the Sunshine Coast and was a proud Caloundra Shark player 2. My family became Cane Farmers when we came to Australia. There are still a few cane farms left in the Yandina area. Also, the greater Beenleigh area is one of Queensland’s larger micro cane producers, directly contributing ingredients for Beenleigh Rum. I know this as I’ve lived in Beenleigh for 18 years now. Finally, with the Crushers connected with the Brisbane region through the fact they used Brisbane’s formal colours of Blue and Gold. Is is documented fact that the Crushers failed in their go due to white-anting from Newscorp/Broncos. I was there- I saw it in person as a fan.

Very few people in SEQ care or support the QRL teams. I say this as a huge ISC fan (go the Falcons!!) and would struggle to support a suburban team. Not to all the multiple arguments put forward how this would negate any support outside of the suburban region with the team. This is the exact reason the NRL is choking with too many teams in Sydney. Success in great national comps never brand to locals (eg Lakers and Clippers or United and City, and I realise the folly of comparing our sport to the big boys). But the fact is Redcliffe are the only team with a whole chance of gaining entry to the NRL, even though I would rather see the Firehawks up.

Finally, any talk of the Dolphins as a Redcliffe team being supported by the Sunny Coast is absolute falsehoods perpetuated by people that only know the area via a map. Sunny Coast people think of Redcliffe in a worse light than the Gold Coast thinks of Logan (at least Goldies have to drive through Logan, which you don’t need to up the coast). There is genuine distain between the two locations.

I am my own person with my own ideas, and could be wrong as anyone else in this forum, but I’ve actually based my ideas in real facts, not personal wish my washy emotions. “Donkeys” hangs heaps of shit on The Great Dane, and whilst I don’t agree with everything Dane says, I find him at least reasonable and not as troll like. Lastly, go the Titans- 2021 is looking like a great year!!!

You think TheGreat Dane thinks he has psychic powers, you must think it also. No one knows whether the Sunny Coast or people living on Moreton Bay would support the Dolphins. Your just guessing like everyone else,
One thing that I know is all my former teammates (that I’m still in contact with) can’t stand Redcliffe. There are about 56 junior clubs in Brisbane & a lot of those clubs wouldn’t like them either.
Gold Coast wanted to use the Dolphins mascot, did they not?

Older people who've played against the Dolphins probably hate them with a passion, but that's not who the team will be aiming to draw support from. It will have an established fanbase that can be sold to the younger generation within the Moreton Bay/Sunshine Coast regions who aren't old enough to harbour any ill will towards the Dolphins.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Gold Coast wanted to use the Dolphins mascot, did they not?

Older people who've played against the Dolphins probably hate them with a passion, but that's not who the team will be aiming to draw support from. It will have an established fanbase that can be sold to the younger generation within the Moreton Bay/Sunshine Coast regions who aren't old enough to harbour any ill will towards the Dolphins.
It's not about the mascot you f**king moron!

It's the connection that the mascot has to the club that is the problem, because most people whom aren't Redcliffe fans don't f**king like them and the Dolphin has become the symbol of that distaste.

Take the Broncos that you so irrationally hate. If they moved to Logan and changed their name to the Logan Broncos would you support them? No of course you wouldn't, because you hate them!
The same thing will happen with the vast majority of people that the Dolphins will claim to represent if they enter the NRL.

Latest posts