What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

Pippen94

First Grade
I don't think there is that much tribalism in Brisbane. People from the city might look down their nose at Ipswich or Logan as in they would never choose to live in those areas but they don't "hate" people just cause they are from Logan lol If there are people in Logan who actually hate others just cause they live close to Brisbane city then they are f**king morons.
Yeah right! Brisbane is only city in world where there's no inter-rivalry - bullsh...
History of BRL shows that's not true

Pippen94

First Grade
not to mention the cold hard fact is brisbane2 are going to be going head to head with the broncos. To do that they are going to need a substantial revenue base, and to do that they are goi png to need a substantial active fanbase and corporate support. Anything less and they are going to be another manly, and the game doesn’t need that.
You got it ass backwards - team should be anything but corporate. Should tap into rivalries & divisions within city and most importantly appeal to strong culture of rugby league there.
Brisbane is a sinc - ppl love & follow the sport. Getting ppl to follow Perth will be tough task.

Pippen94

First Grade
none of those things make you a sustainable nrl club, being able to raise $30mill a year revenue does. Of all the bids the bombers look to have the best business brains behind them and most likelihood challenging broncos for the corporate $ not to mention with a broader fanbase being able to get 25k member and 20k plus crowds that any brisbane 2 club is going to need if they are to be anything other than a very poor relation to the broncos.

having established scond tier clubs who are geographically isolated, reliant on pokies just because they have jnrs and a LC/ training roomsis a recipe for mediocrity for brisbane2, imo.
Having second team with no point of difference is biggest mistake NRL can make - failed in every other. NRL should follow success stories like wanderers, Fremantle etc.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I apologised to TGD for getting him mixed up with mongoose. He has gone on to insult me plenty of times, unprovoked, starting on Page 27 of the "Rank the Brisbane bids" thread. He even wrongfully accused me of wanting 7 teams in the Greater Brisbane area on Page 28 of the "Rank the Brisbane bids" thread. I put him on ignore at the time because I got sick of his lies and shit. He then denied saying he made that accusation on Page 39 of "Redcliffe up their hand up" thread, which is a common tactic of his when he's confronted. I copied and pasted what he said, to which he had no answer.

I won't be responding to or mentioning him again.
See there you go again; you take a crack, I swipe back, you play victim.

Your apology doesn't men shit if your actions don't change, and BS you won't respond to or mention me again, before you know it you'll be sniping again.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Having second team with no point of difference is biggest mistake NRL can make - failed in every other. NRL should follow success stories like wanderers, Fremantle etc.
Nobody is saying that the second team shouldn't have a point of difference. All they are saying is you don't have to pick a tiny suburban club that is only appealing to a tiny portion of the population to have that point of difference.

Redcliffe isn't analogous to either the WSW or Freo, both big clubs that represents a big part of the population. It's analogous to Manly or Cronulla, little suburban clubs with very narrow appeal.

Pippen94

First Grade
Nobody is saying that the second team shouldn't have a point of difference. All they are saying is you don't have to pick a tiny suburban club that is only appealing to a tiny portion of the population to have that point of difference.

Redcliffe isn't analogous to either the WSW or Freo, both big clubs that represents a big part of the population. It's analogous to Manly or Cronulla, little suburban clubs with very narrow appeal.
What point of different do you propose Einstein?? All you have been campaigning for is a second big club playing out of Suncorp - newsflash one already exists

Dolphins represent Morton Bay with population bigger than Canberra

Santino Patane

Juniors
Point taken and I will take your advice on board.

Does Sunshine Coast hate all of Moreton Bay, or just Redcliffe?

When I read your comment I thought you meant people from Sunshine Coast hate the Dolphins. My mistake.

There is a lot of tribalism in SEQ. It's for this reason I don't think 2 teams can cover all RL fans across the region. If I had my way then there would be a team in Logan, one in Ipswich and one in Moreton Bay, as they're close to Brisbane and all hate one another. The tribalism would make for great rivalries. Half the reason I hate the Broncos is because I was born and raised up there in its southeast and noticed how much hatred its people had for Logan and Ipswich. It is classism at its worst. I moved to Logan 18 years ago and found the place to be friendlier and more family oriented, with more parks and greenery plus larger blocks of land. I now have a strong dislike towards the City of Brisbane and avoid going into it unless I have to. The people there hate Logan, call us 'bogans' and refuse to refer to us as a city even though we were designated as one in the early 80s by the QLD GOV, but they are quick to poach our talent. The eastern suburbs of Logan, which is where I live, are quite affluent and put much of Brisbane's older suburbs to shame. The only part of Brisbane I like is its bayside suburbs as they're leafy and more down to Earth.

I can't get behind the Titans for the same reason you can't support Redcliffe. Too much hate from Gold Coast towards Logan. It would be different for you as you're from Beenleigh, which was part of Gold Coast until 07 or 08. I noticed a lot of support for Titans in Beenleigh when I visited it in 2008. Its people never wanted to join Logan City when the council borders were redrawn.

Redland hates Logan, but I don't mind Redland. It's mainly semi-rural and its built up areas remind me of Springwood and Daisy Hill. I'd like to see Wynnum, Wynnum West, Manly and Manly West join Redland City and the Seagulls become the Redland City Seagulls.

I give shit to TGD because he has been a prick on many occassions, and not just to me.

PR is alright, but his bias towards Perth gets on my nerves as he turns a blind eye to the difficulties a team from there will face, while talking down Brisbane's bids and moaning about Sydney. A team in Perth could work if supported by HQ, but it will be fighting with the Force, Glory and Wildcats just to carve out a small niche in a WA market that's obsessed with fumbleball. All of those clubs and sports have a massive head start over any NRL team that ends up in Perth, so it will be a hard slog. It would be cheaper and more fruitful in the long run to go with NZ2, in my opinion. There are less sports and pro clubs to compete against in NZ and it will improve the Kiwis in the long run.

When I was deciding on a username it was a choice between Bring Back The BRL or Get Rid of the Donkeys. I chose the latter because IBM, M4L and other Donkeys fans have been hanging around Cowboys game day threads since 2018, making fun of my team's poor form because they're salty about 2015 and all the finals games we've owned them in, so I wanted to stir them up.
Thanks mate for responding maturely! Again, rare on the internet these days.

We actually have similar stories- half my childhood was up the Coast and half of it was in the Southside of Brisbane. I moved to Beenleigh 18 years ago. Beenleigh used to be closer to the Coast in attitude, but these days with its huge growth, the population is now more in Logan. I’m not a huge fan of this (my weekends are on the southern end of the coast or the Tweed) but I do much rather life in Logan over Brissie these days as Brisbane has lost it’s soul- way too busy and gave up what made it a great place.

I used to be a Broncos fan before falling into the Titans a few years into the franchise. I always back Queensland teams, just some more than others. If a second Brisbane team came into the comp, there’s a good chance they’ll be my second team. I can see this will be how a second team will grow- non Broncos fans (maybe even some Broncos fans) take them on as a second team, then over time (and some luck) they will get fully on board. Hopefully a lot of the large Storm fans in Qld will jump on board, as well as the random few NSW supporting fans in SEQ.

IMO, I’d prefer to see the second team to be not locality based. With the Broncos having 30+ years of being the only team in town, the fans are spread around. Having another team locality based could alienate potential fans from other parts. With this in mind, I’d love to see the Firehawks get up. But wherever the team lands, I’ll back them. I’d rather see a successful bid take root and go well, and if the powers to be see Redcliffe as the way to make it happen, let’s do it then! So long as the Dolphins hold to their word and cater for the whole SEQ.

The Great Dane

First Grade
What point of different do you propose Einstein?? All you have been campaigning for is a second big club playing out of Suncorp - newsflash one already exists

Dolphins represent Morton Bay with population bigger than Canberra
There are any number of points of difference that could be utilised. Geography is the most obvious, but not the only answer.

Centralised stadia is not only proven to be a very successful model, but to be significantly cheaper for the taxpayers as well. Besides a new NRL standard stadium isn't going to be built in Brisbane anytime soon, so unless we are waiting 20-30 years the new team will have to play out of Suncorp whether they like it or not.

The Dolphins only represent Morton Bay on paper, and population doesn't equal consumer base.

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
There are any number of points of difference that could be utilised. Geography is the most obvious, but not the only answer.

Centralised stadia is no only proven to be a very successful model, but to be significantly cheaper for the taxpayers as well. Besides a new NRL standard stadium isn't going to be built in Brisbane anytime soon, so unless we are waiting 20-30 years the new team will have to play out of Suncorp whether they like it or not.

The Dolphins only represent Morton Bay on paper, and population doesn't equal consumer base.
Didn't answer how you'd create point of difference

mongoose

Coach
Yeah right! Brisbane is only city in world where there's no inter-rivalry - bullsh...
History of BRL shows that's not true

Sure there is old sporting rivalries within every city. I'm saying there is no huge class divide or demographic based rivalry between different regions of Brisbane. You can point to the BRL but the Broncos have fans from every corner of the city and even outside of the city. Their support is not localised in any particular area from what I have noticed. They have fans in affluent areas like Red Hill/Ashgrove, mid range areas like Chermside/Aspley to lower class areas like Woodridge. Because they are BRISBANE Broncos and were a team for the whole city.

Thanks mate for responding maturely! Again, rare on the internet these days.

We actually have similar stories- half my childhood was up the Coast and half of it was in the Southside of Brisbane. I moved to Beenleigh 18 years ago. Beenleigh used to be closer to the Coast in attitude, but these days with its huge growth, the population is now more in Logan. I’m not a huge fan of this (my weekends are on the southern end of the coast or the Tweed) but I do much rather life in Logan over Brissie these days as Brisbane has lost it’s soul- way too busy and gave up what made it a great place.

I used to be a Broncos fan before falling into the Titans a few years into the franchise. I always back Queensland teams, just some more than others. If a second Brisbane team came into the comp, there’s a good chance they’ll be my second team. I can see this will be how a second team will grow- non Broncos fans (maybe even some Broncos fans) take them on as a second team, then over time (and some luck) they will get fully on board. Hopefully a lot of the large Storm fans in Qld will jump on board, as well as the random few NSW supporting fans in SEQ.

IMO, I’d prefer to see the second team to be not locality based. With the Broncos having 30+ years of being the only team in town, the fans are spread around. Having another team locality based could alienate potential fans from other parts. With this in mind, I’d love to see the Firehawks get up. But wherever the team lands, I’ll back them. I’d rather see a successful bid take root and go well, and if the powers to be see Redcliffe as the way to make it happen, let’s do it then! So long as the Dolphins hold to their word and cater for the whole SEQ.
I couldn't agree more about Brisbane losing its soul. Quirk gave the greenlight for high rise development all over the city and killed the semi-rural farming suburb of Rochedale, in exchange for money from cashed up Chinese and Indians.

Property prices have pushed the working class out of Brisbane and the infrastructure isn't there to support the high rise developments. Back in the 90s, I don't recall the streets having cars parked all along one side of the road in the inner suburbs. Now I see it all the way down to Upper Mt Gravatt. In some areas they have parking inspectors going up and down the streets issuing fines to people who have no choice but to park there because their workplace doesn't have any parking.

RL is growing in working class cities like Logan and Ipswich, but clubs in Brisbane's newly cashed up areas are having to merge or fold. I'm fairly certain that Souths Graceville had to merge with the Normanby Hounds. Junior clubs from Wests' district have either merged or folded, too.

RL is a working man's game, and the gentrification of the inner suburbs has led to an influx of snobs flowing into the area who don't want their kids playing it.

The Broncos are a corporate success, but it's come at the detriment of the grassroots clubs that made them a powerhouse on the field during the 90s.

I think the Broncos have played a large role in the demise of Wests. They're right in their territory. The other two clubs from that area, Pastoral Brothers Leprechauns at Grange and Fortitude Valley Diehards at Albion are only a shell of their former selves and had to relocate.

I am probably in the minority, but I would like to see the Broncos rebrand so they can rebuild junior RL in their vicinity. Maybe adopt the name Western Brisbane Broncos and replace the maroon and gold with red and black as their primary colours, and add royal blue and navy blue as their secondary colours so that they represent Wests, Valleys and Brothers. They've got the money to invest in junior RL within their vicinity, so they should rebuild Wests, Valleys and Brothers from U7s to Queensland Cup. Without a strong grassroots base the game will slowly die. I could wrong, but I think the Broncos demise on the field has occurred since clubs like Valleys, Brothers and Wests became a shell of their former selves.

I generally fear for RL in Brisbane if its 2nd NRL team is a corporate-based neutral brand that weakens Easts, Wynnum, Norths and Redcliffe.

Sure there is old sporting rivalries within every city. I'm saying there is no huge class divide or demographic based rivalry between different regions of Brisbane. You can point to the BRL but the Broncos have fans from every corner of the city and even outside of the city. Their support is not localised in any particular area from what I have noticed. They have fans in affluent areas like Red Hill/Ashgrove, mid range areas like Chermside/Aspley to lower class areas like Woodridge. Because they are BRISBANE Broncos and were a team for the whole city.
While there isn't violence-induced hatred between people from the cities that make up Greater Brisbane, there is a class divide.

With property prices spiralling upwards in the inner suburbs it will only make things worse.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
You got it ass backwards - team should be anything but corporate. Should tap into rivalries & divisions within city and most importantly appeal to strong culture of rugby league there.
Brisbane is a sinc - ppl love & follow the sport. Getting ppl to follow Perth will be tough task.

if the nrl was a $15-20mill revenue proposition for sure, but it’s not. The big clubs are now generating $30mill plus, any new club in Brisbane needs to be able to do same or they will be In serious trouble within a couple of years as they have to spend to try and match the clout of the worlds richest RL club who are their main rival.

don’t kid yourself, whilst Fremantle maybe marketed as the working mans club they are as corporate as they come, board is from the very top end of town, major blue chip sponsors, play at a state of the art stadium 26km from their region name, $75mill a year revenue etc etc. You also have to remember that Fremantle have the massive advantage that if you come to perth and want to go and watch afl then dockers is your only option as eagles are sold out with memberships and still have a 5 year waitlist. That drives their memberships and supporter base in a way that Brisbane2 won’t have the benefit of as Broncos can’t get close to selling out games.

Last edited:
if the nrl was a $15-20mill revenue proposition for sure, but it’s not. The big clubs are now generating $30mill plus, any new club in Brisbane needs to be able to do same or they will be In serious trouble within a couple of years as they have to spend to try and match the clout of the worlds richest RL club who are their main rival.

don’t kid yourself, whilst Fremantle maybe marketed as the working mans club they are as corporate as they come, board is from the very top end of town, major blue chip sponsors, play at a state of the art stadium 26km from their region name, $75mill a year revenue etc etc. You also have to remember that Fremantle have the massive advantage that if you come to perth and want to go and watch afl then dockers is your only option as eagles are sold out with memberships and still have a 5 year waitlist. That drives their memberships and supporter base in a way that Brisbane2 won’t have the benefit of as Broncos can’t get close to selling out games.
AwFuL clubs have the advantage of not being perceived by the big end of town as being made up of supporters from the low socio-economic sector. NRL clubs are viewed by big business as being followed by poor people.

RL and fumbleball are not playing by the same rules. What works for AwFuL won't work for NRL.

Reflector

Juniors
I have lived experience from living the first half of my life in Brisbane and the second half in Logan.

The hatred from people who live in Brisbane is "classism", as in they think they're superior to people from Ipswich and Logan. I remember the snide comments people made about Logan when I lived there.

My sister, who works in the Brisbane CBD, gets bullied at work for buying a house in Logan. The people who bully her don't even have a house, yet they think they're superior because they rent in Brisbane. My other sister, who is from a snobby part of Brisbane always makes fun of Logan.

I know people from Logan who refuse to state where they're from when they're in Brisbane because of how classist people react. I've encountered the same classist attitude from people when I've mentioned I am from Logan.

I don't like how built up the inner suburbs of Brisbane are and the horrible traffic on its old skinny roads. It's a scary place to drive for people not used to that thing. I like peace and quiet. I love nature, and there's bugger all of that in the inner suburbs of Brisbane because the houses are built on top of each other on sub-divided blocks of land, with lots of high rise buildings and street after street of cars parked on one side of the road making it hard to navigate.

The area I live in has every shop and type of business, so I can easily get everything I need locally. I would never move back to Brisbane.

The attitude of Brisbane people to Logan sounds like the attitude of Sydney people to anybody who lives west of Parramatta...

MugaB

Coach
if the nrl was a $15-20mill revenue proposition for sure, but it’s not. The big clubs are now generating $30mill plus, any new club in Brisbane needs to be able to do same or they will be In serious trouble within a couple of years as they have to spend to try and match the clout of the worlds richest RL club who are their main rival

Again it takes time for an expansion team to gather a competitive roster, they'll (whoever is bid winner) most likely be spooners in the first year, or for a few years, till all the right personnel can turn the on field success into money, history shows us this, since the dogs in '35 to the Cowboys of '95, every expansion team had had to sit at the bottom of the ladder till they can match it with the rest of the league, Melbourne and Warriors were the only exceptions, but SL war folding in '98 and ARL's 4 club expansion in '95 probably helped that. Even if we get a Perth team or an Adelaide team or NZ2 or even 2 more SEQ clubs, expect which ever of them to not be an instant success, so they'll fail against the richest club in league regardless, expansion teams take time... lots of time

The attitude of Brisbane people to Logan sounds like the attitude of Sydney people to anybody who lives west of Parramatta...
That's a good analogy and very true. Just like Sydney, where fans of Rabbitohs have been forced out of Redfern to live out west, so too have working class people from the inner suburbs of Brisbane, who are now living in Logan, Ipswich, Redlands and Moreton Bay.

Again it takes time for an expansion team to gather a competitive roster, they'll (whoever is bid winner) most likely be spooners in the first year, or for a few years, till all the right personnel can turn the on field success into money, history shows us this, since the dogs in '35 to the Cowboys of '95, every expansion team had had to sit at the bottom of the ladder till they can match it with the rest of the league, Melbourne and Warriors were the only exceptions, but SL war folding in '98 and ARL's 4 club expansion in '95 probably helped that. Even if we get a Perth team or an Adelaide team or NZ2 or even 2 more SEQ clubs, expect which ever of them to not be an instant success, so they'll fail against the richest club in league regardless, expansion teams take time... lots of time
Correct. Warriors had an entire country to draw players from, which helped them. Crushers signed a few big name hasbeens and RU recruits, littered with young discarded players from the Broncos. Cowboys didn't have a chance to sign anyone big, so all they got was an ageing Martin Bella, who was originally from NQ, and average players from struggling teams such as Adrian Vowels from the Seagulls. Johnathon Davies was recruited from Welsh RU to play for Cowboys. Other than that it was a roster full of kids plucked out of no where. Reds got a Julian O'Neill who was sacked from the Broncos for doing all sorts of stupid things off field, like pissing on a worker at a casino. Mark Geyer went over there, but was suspended a lot for foul play. A couple of NSW reps joined them, like Brad McKay if my memory is correct, but other than that they were not strong enough to make the top 8.

Melbourne got to pluck the guts out of the 3 clubs that folded in the end of 97. Crushers, Reds and Mariners. That's the only reason they succeeded. News Ltd owning them helped their cause.