What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

T-Boon

Coach
I still think that Brisbane United Whatevers has a lot of merit.

I think "united" is a bit (actually totally) soccer'ish.
Greater Brisbane is good because it is a real backhander to the Broncos, is all inclusive (similar to united or Real as in Real Madrid (if that is the meaning of Real?)) and some other third reason that I cannot now think of but was also a great reason.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bombers bid can and will work with a brand change, they’ve got serious money behind them, serious business connections, will be a genuine Suncorp based club and will appeal to a wider audience than either the dolphins or fire hawks bids. But they do need to relent and change their name!

They had reasonable popularity but that was despite a pretty garbage name and just showed how keen Brisbane are for any alternative.
Exactly!

The cane carrying steam engine train in their logo was outdated. It was clearly a steam engine train as it had a funnel/smokestack with smoke flowing out of it. That was technology from the early 19th century and wad phased out and replaced with diesel/electricity long before 1995. Why the club decided to make itself look 60 years behind the times, God knows. It made them come across as a hillbilly pub team.

Their jersey, shorts and socks were mustard, blue and red. Brisbane's colours are blue and gold, with white in the flag.

https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/abo...rates/council-history/symbols-used-by-council

There was a bit of red in their uniform, but not enough to represent the poinsettia that is Brisbane's floral emblem and was used as the logo by the BRL's representative team.

Combined_Brisbane_Division_Poinsettia_Badge.jpg
Bombers are using a colour scheme that is just as shit, putting a man from the early 20th century, Charles Kingford-Smith, in their logo, fully equipped with attire from that era. They're also basing themselves north of the river, like the Crushers. The 3 BRL clubs closest to Broncos' HQ at Red Hill, Valleys, Brothers and Wests, all went bust. The ones that survived were well away from that area. Norths survived but their Leagues Club is not anywhere as strong as Easts, Wynnum and Redcliffe. Souths struggle. Of the remaining BRL teams, Norths and Souths are closest to Broncos Leagues at Red Hill. Crushers based their Leagues Club out of Grange, which is where Pastoral Brothers Leprechauns were headquartered.

I can see the Bombers failing just like the Crushers, as they are repeating their mistakes.

Last edited:
Bombers bid can and will work with a brand change, they’ve got serious money behind them, serious business connections, will be a genuine Suncorp based club and will appeal to a wider audience than either the dolphins or fire hawks bids. But they do need to relent and change their name!
Their colours and logo need to represent 21st century Brisbane and they need to be based south of the river.

MugaB

Coach
But no base? No Club, no juniors, no nothing. All they really have is a brand that you're saying needs to now change, then really they have bugger all
The bid is flawed because there's no base to it, its just a bunch of ruch dudes pooling their money to buy a race horse, theres no stables
I don't see this as a bid, its just a plan. And seems to be no different to the Norths bears consortium, that has all these rich folk ready to invest, once a license is aquired

East Tigers/Firehawks= have the junior catchments, lower grade set up and resources to play in the actual area of Brisbane City, sharing Suncorp..
Redcliffe Dolphins = have the Junior catchments, lower grade set up, plans to play at Suncorp, leagues club, and assets.
Western Corridor Jets= catchments via Ipswich lower grades, plans for Suncorp..

Bombers have a generic brand that the consensus of folk already hate, and sorry only plans to play at Suncorp

The Bombers should maybe look at collaborating with the Firehawks.

East Brisbane or East Coast Firehawks, East Brisbane/Coast can even cover Redcliffe.

View attachment 44076

Great post, @mongoose. You're starting to see the light.

I'd support the club if it was called East Coast Firehawks. There are businesses called East Coast in Upper Mt Gravatt and Logan. The team would represent Logan, eastern Brisbane and Redlands.

You do realise Easts are setting up sub-district clubs in Yarrabilba and Flagstone, right?

Those two suburbs are at the southern outskirts of Logan and are growing rapidly. Easts already have teams in Springwood and Rochedale.

Dolphins should team up with Norths to become the North Brisbane Dolphins.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
But no base? No Club, no juniors, no nothing. All they really have is a brand that you're saying needs to now change, then really they have bugger all
The bid is flawed because there's no base to it, its just a bunch of ruch dudes pooling their money to buy a race horse, theres no stables
I don't see this as a bid, its just a plan. And seems to be no different to the Norths bears consortium, that has all these rich folk ready to invest, once a license is aquired

East Tigers/Firehawks= have the junior catchments, lower grade set up and resources to play in the actual area of Brisbane City, sharing Suncorp..
Redcliffe Dolphins = have the Junior catchments, lower grade set up, plans to play at Suncorp, leagues club, and assets.
Western Corridor Jets= catchments via Ipswich lower grades, plans for Suncorp..

Bombers have a generic brand that the consensus of folk already hate, and sorry only plans to play at Suncorp

none of those things make you a sustainable nrl club, being able to raise $30mill a year revenue does. Of all the bids the bombers look to have the best business brains behind them and most likelihood challenging broncos for the corporate $ not to mention with a broader fanbase being able to get 25k member and 20k plus crowds that any brisbane 2 club is going to need if they are to be anything other than a very poor relation to the broncos.

having established scond tier clubs who are geographically isolated, reliant on pokies just because they have jnrs and a LC/ training roomsis a recipe for mediocrity for brisbane2, imo.

none of those things make you a sustainable nrl club, being able to raise $30mill a year revenue does. Of all the bids the bombers look to have the best business brains behind them and most likelihood challenging broncos for the corporate $ not to mention with a broader fanbase being able to get 25k member and 20k plus crowds that any brisbane 2 club is going to need if they are to be anything other than a very poor relation to the broncos.

having established scond tier clubs who are geographically isolated, reliant on pokies just because they have jnrs and a LC/ training roomsis a recipe for mediocrity for brisbane2, imo.
How many RL/RU clubs average 25k?

The Broncos are the only one to the best of my knowledge. The RU clubs in England and France get well under that.

EDIT

Bordeaux Bègles averaged 24,518 last year to its 9 games.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Top_14_season

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think "united" is a bit (actually totally) soccer'ish.
Greater Brisbane is good because it is a real backhander to the Broncos, is all inclusive (similar to united or Real as in Real Madrid (if that is the meaning of Real?)) and some other third reason that I cannot now think of but was also a great reason.

It's only a soccer thing because we allow it to be.

No reasonable person is going to be turned off a brand because they are called "united" and "that is a soccer thing".

The Great Dane

First Grade
The Bombers should maybe look at collaborating with the Firehawks.

East Brisbane or East Coast Firehawks, East Brisbane/Coast can even cover Redcliffe.

View attachment 44076
Neither party wants that though. Both groups want to own the club, not to be major shareholders without a controlling share.

They'd both go into negotiations assuming that the other will be the minority partner, be unable to come to an agreement because of that assumption, and then negotiations about a merger would fall apart.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade

Santino Patane

Juniors
You said the Queensland Cup isn't well supported. Then you go on to say there's massive hatred of the Redcliffe Dolphins on the Sunshine Coast.

Make up your mind, FFS.

How can a team from a competition that isn't well supported, in your view, be hated by so many people?

In order for a brand to be hated outside of its base there has to be recognition and support for its rivals.

I've watched the Queensland Cup enthusiastically from its inception and, I can safely say Redcliffe, Wynnum and Easts have always been the biggest and best supported clubs. When Lang Park was demolished in 2001 the GF was moved to Dolphin Oval.

The Dolphins aim to take one game a year to Sunshine Coast. They obviously think they can resonate with the people up there.

Sorry mate, you got me wrong. I never mentioned the “Falcons” hating the “Dolphins”, but rather the general population. Hence my comparison between Logan and the Gold Coast. This comes from lived experience as well as my family/friends still up the Coast. The two locations, whilst geographically close, are culturally polar opposites. Your initial rebuttal was full of holes too, but there were too many to respond to and I want to stop the tit for tat that goes nowhere.

I mentioned in my first post you sometimes make sense and (credit where credit is due) you do try to back your arguments where you can. A lot of people don’t have the ability to. But your problem is in your heuristics. You only back and argue points to prove you’re right and don’t back down when you’re proven wrong. Try and be mindful of confirmation bias, because you’re extremely guilty of it. I applaud your passion for Rugby League in Brisbane and agree with you fully in the need to represent our area more. Just end in a point of “agree to disagree” quicker if you can’t change minds. Dampen down some of the vitriol and others might be more amenable to listen to you. :thumbsup:

Perth Red

Post Whore
And the Broncos are one of few pro rugby clubs in the world that are a profitable business.

The fact that most other clubs underachieve isn't an excuse for you to underachieve.

not to mention the cold hard fact is brisbane2 are going to be going head to head with the broncos. To do that they are going to need a substantial revenue base, and to do that they are goi png to need a substantial active fanbase and corporate support. Anything less and they are going to be another manly, and the game doesn’t need that.

Sorry mate, you got me wrong. I never mentioned the “Falcons” hating the “Dolphins”, but rather the general population. Hence my comparison between Logan and the Gold Coast. This comes from lived experience as well as my family/friends still up the Coast. The two locations, whilst geographically close, are culturally polar opposites. Your initial rebuttal was full of holes too, but there were too many to respond to and I want to stop the tit for tat that goes nowhere.

I mentioned in my first post you sometimes make sense and (credit where credit is due) you do try to back your arguments where you can. A lot of people don’t have the ability to. But your problem is in your heuristics. You only back and argue points to prove you’re right and don’t back down when you’re proven wrong. Try and be mindful of confirmation bias, because you’re extremely guilty of it. I applaud your passion for Rugby League in Brisbane and agree with you fully in the need to represent our area more. Just end in a point of “agree to disagree” quicker if you can’t change minds. Dampen down some of the vitriol and others might be more amenable to listen to you. :thumbsup:
Point taken and I will take your advice on board.

Does Sunshine Coast hate all of Moreton Bay, or just Redcliffe?

When I read your comment I thought you meant people from Sunshine Coast hate the Dolphins. My mistake.

There is a lot of tribalism in SEQ. It's for this reason I don't think 2 teams can cover all RL fans across the region. If I had my way then there would be a team in Logan, one in Ipswich and one in Moreton Bay, as they're close to Brisbane and all hate one another. The tribalism would make for great rivalries. Half the reason I hate the Broncos is because I was born and raised up there in its southeast and noticed how much hatred its people had for Logan and Ipswich. It is classism at its worst. I moved to Logan 18 years ago and found the place to be friendlier and more family oriented, with more parks and greenery plus larger blocks of land. I now have a strong dislike towards the City of Brisbane and avoid going into it unless I have to. The people there hate Logan, call us 'bogans' and refuse to refer to us as a city even though we were designated as one in the early 80s by the QLD GOV, but they are quick to poach our talent. The eastern suburbs of Logan, which is where I live, are quite affluent and put much of Brisbane's older suburbs to shame. The only part of Brisbane I like is its bayside suburbs as they're leafy and more down to Earth.

I can't get behind the Titans for the same reason you can't support Redcliffe. Too much hate from Gold Coast towards Logan. It would be different for you as you're from Beenleigh, which was part of Gold Coast until 07 or 08. I noticed a lot of support for Titans in Beenleigh when I visited it in 2008. Its people never wanted to join Logan City when the council borders were redrawn.

Redland hates Logan, but I don't mind Redland. It's mainly semi-rural and its built up areas remind me of Springwood and Daisy Hill. I'd like to see Wynnum, Wynnum West, Manly and Manly West join Redland City and the Seagulls become the Redland City Seagulls.

I give shit to TGD because he has been a prick on many occassions, and not just to me.

PR is alright, but his bias towards Perth gets on my nerves as he turns a blind eye to the difficulties a team from there will face, while talking down Brisbane's bids and moaning about Sydney. A team in Perth could work if supported by HQ, but it will be fighting with the Force, Glory and Wildcats just to carve out a small niche in a WA market that's obsessed with fumbleball. All of those clubs and sports have a massive head start over any NRL team that ends up in Perth, so it will be a hard slog. It would be cheaper and more fruitful in the long run to go with NZ2, in my opinion. There are less sports and pro clubs to compete against in NZ and it will improve the Kiwis in the long run.

When I was deciding on a username it was a choice between Bring Back The BRL or Get Rid of the Donkeys. I chose the latter because IBM, M4L and other Donkeys fans have been hanging around Cowboys game day threads since 2018, making fun of my team's poor form because they're salty about 2015 and all the finals games we've owned them in, so I wanted to stir them up.

mongoose

Coach
I don't think there is that much tribalism in Brisbane. People from the city might look down their nose at Ipswich or Logan as in they would never choose to live in those areas but they don't "hate" people just cause they are from Logan lol If there are people in Logan who actually hate others just cause they live close to Brisbane city then they are f**king morons.

I don't think there is that much tribalism in Brisbane. People from the city might look down their nose at Ipswich or Logan as in they would never choose to live in those areas but they don't "hate" people just cause they are from Logan lol If there are people in Logan who actually hate others just cause they live close to Brisbane city then they are f**king morons.
I have lived experience from living the first half of my life in Brisbane and the second half in Logan.

The hatred from people who live in Brisbane is "classism", as in they think they're superior to people from Ipswich and Logan. I remember the snide comments people made about Logan when I lived there.

My sister, who works in the Brisbane CBD, gets bullied at work for buying a house in Logan. The people who bully her don't even have a house, yet they think they're superior because they rent in Brisbane. My other sister, who is from a snobby part of Brisbane always makes fun of Logan.

I know people from Logan who refuse to state where they're from when they're in Brisbane because of how classist people react. I've encountered the same classist attitude from people when I've mentioned I am from Logan.

I don't like how built up the inner suburbs of Brisbane are and the horrible traffic on its old skinny roads. It's a scary place to drive for people not used to that thing. I like peace and quiet. I love nature, and there's bugger all of that in the inner suburbs of Brisbane because the houses are built on top of each other on sub-divided blocks of land, with lots of high rise buildings and street after street of cars parked on one side of the road making it hard to navigate.

The area I live in has every shop and type of business, so I can easily get everything I need locally. I would never move back to Brisbane.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I give shit to TGD because he has been a prick on many occassions, and not just to me.
I'm so sick of this playground sniping BS that you go on with.

Need I remind you of our first interaction, you know when you confused me with Mongoose because we both had green avatars and proceeded to abuse the hell out of me. You still attribute to me things I didn't do because you're an idiot whom couldn't tell the difference between two people because of the colour of their avatars.

You abuse the hell out of me, I give back as good as I get, and then you accuse me of being the 'prick' in the situation is basically how all of our interactions have gone, and it's because you are happy to give but as soon as you get it back from somebody they are a big meanies.

Basically you are a cry bully whom never matured and desperately needs to grow the f**k up!

I apologised to TGD for getting him mixed up with mongoose. He has gone on to insult me plenty of times, unprovoked, starting on Page 27 of the "Rank the Brisbane bids" thread. He even wrongfully accused me of wanting 7 teams in the Greater Brisbane area on Page 28 of the "Rank the Brisbane bids" thread. I put him on ignore at the time because I got sick of his lies and shit. He then denied saying he made that accusation on Page 39 of "Redcliffe up their hand up" thread, which is a common tactic of his when he's confronted. I copied and pasted what he said, to which he had no answer.

I won't be responding to or mentioning him again.

Latest posts