What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos General Discussion

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Well done to Corey Parker who picked up Dally M Lock of the year. More than thoroughly deserved imo.

Yoda

Juniors
That's like asking Ben Johnson to help out Cronulla with the ASADA investigation.

AceAv

Juniors
We'll do our best to enjoy him thx mate.

I love how there's suddenly so much hatred for the kid because he didn't do what you wanted.

League guru

Juniors
Just finished reading Sailors book "Crossing the Line". It rates with Mundines as the greatest lead of egotistical crap I have read. The Bronks need to keep him well away from Barba. The thing that amazes me the most after reading the book is the way that Bennett catered to certain people. He was only too quick to show some the door but pandas to others.

some11

Referee
Just bumping this to get the Dell thread off the main forum, was started in the Dogs forum and got moved here lol.

broncos4life

Juniors
Just finished reading Sailors book "Crossing the Line". It rates with Mundines as the greatest lead of egotistical crap I have read. The Bronks need to keep him well away from Barba. The thing that amazes me the most after reading the book is the way that Bennett catered to certain people. He was only too quick to show some the door but pandas to others.

Why would he give them pandas? How did he get these pandas?

Snappy

Coach
Sounds like Hoffman is over his hissy-fit, and is getting on with the job at the Broncos.

TODD BALYM NEWS LIMITED JANUARY 13, 2014 11:00PM

KIWI Test star Alex Glenn has likened Ben Barba's arrival at Brisbane to the enormous impact Sonny Bill Williams delivered to New Zealand, with the Broncos now possessing an "aura of something is going to happen this year".

The mass changes that swept through Red Hill finally subsided yesterday as the full Broncos training squad reunited for the first time, with World Cup heroes Corey Parker, Sam Thaiday, Josh Hoffman and Glenn all reporting for duty.

Hoffman's appearance put to rest his off-season of disenchantment, when he asked for a release to Canterbury. The star fullback looked comfortable running at right centre outside Barba, who looks certain to start the year in the No.1 jersey.

Barba may have limped away from the session with ice on his troubled right ankle, but Glenn could already sense the impact the 2012 Dally M medallist could bring to the Broncos.

Ben Barba during training yesterday.
Ben Barba during training yesterday. Source: News Limited
"He is a strike player and a very key player," Glenn said.

"It definitely brings a lot of excitement, you've seen the talent that Benny has got and he can produce.

"Obviously there are players that are very nervous because he is coming in and he might be taking your position, like Hoffy was, but it's very exciting when you get a player of that stature who can perform on the field as strong as he can.

"You always want to play with players like that, I got the opportunity to play with Sonny (Bill Williams) and it was the same thing playing with him, you learn new stuff from professionals like them and take it on board."

Ben Barba ices his ankle during training.
Ben Barba ices his ankle during training. Source: News Limited
Glenn said Hoffman had put his desire to leave the club behind him and had reported for training happy and determined to produce a big season.

"To see him back in training and with a big smile . . . I think that break freshened him up and he got on with his business," he said.

"There is no doubt that he will be ready for a big season this year."

Josh Hoffman (front) is expected to play centre, with Ben Barba (back) in the No. 1 jersey. Picture: Tim Marsden
Josh Hoffman (front) is expected to play centre, with Ben Barba (back) in the No. 1 jersey. Picture: Tim Marsden Source: News Limited
Glenn admitted he was surprised by last week's captaincy shock, when Thaiday was replaced by Parker and Justin Hodges.

Hodges was absent from training yesterday as he recovers from an achilles injury. He is said to be pushing for a return as soon as round one, despite initially being expected to miss almost half the season.

"They had to make some changes and what's done is done and we're moving forward," Glenn said. "But to see the boys and the vibe you know you just get that aura of something is going to happen this year. It's great." .

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...brisbane-broncos/story-fniabm4i-1226800945337

Last edited:

Kiwi

First Grade
and it looks like he will be getting time in the centres which looks like it'll be his best position

man2iel_

Juniors
Hi All,

I am a new member, some quick hits on me:

* Brisbane Broncos fan from day one.
* Queensland Maroons fan.
* Favourite Brisbane Broncos player? All-time: Allan Langer; Today: Corey Parker
* Favourite Brisbane Broncos game? Hard to go past being at the 1992 Grand Final win with dad and my brothers.
* Ben B###a? I'd have preferred we let him go to Gold Coast. I think he will add to the team though I am all about the man before the player. B###a will win us games, provide us with highlights and perhaps spark another premiership run over the coming years; of that I am certain. My position won't change here and I refuse to type his surname on the forums in my own silent protest to the signing.

I look forward to interacting with you all throughout the season.

hooch is crazy

Juniors
Corey Oates needs more game time. Gillett isn't up to 60+ minutes on a consistent basis.

Broncos player profile has him at 192cms and 106kg. He looks skinny to me. He could add 4-5kg and do it easily. He's gonna be somethin special.

Disappointed Jon Green hasn't been able to find his way into the side. I noticed him when was running around for St George Illawarra and thought he was impressive. Pity he couldn't go to the next level with his game. He's a bopper and a tireless defender.

Vaisefuder

Juniors
Corey Oates needs more game time. Gillett isn't up to 60+ minutes on a consistent basis.

Broncos player profile has him at 192cms and 106kg. He looks skinny to me. He could add 4-5kg and do it easily. He's gonna be somethin special.

Disappointed Jon Green hasn't been able to find his way into the side. I noticed him when was running around for St George Illawarra and thought he was impressive. Pity he couldn't go to the next level with his game. He's a bopper and a tireless defender.

He's pretty similar to Mitchell Dodds in that regard.

If Dodds could pick up his running game he'd be bloody good. He's a big lad, hits like a hammer, and is defensively sound. He just needs to start making some metres.

If he took a leaf out of Jarrod Wallace's book this season we'd have a pretty impressive stock of props.

John b

Juniors
The Broncs forwards need some edge of ruck combinations ,the players are there ,Benny is yet to put them together,looks very promising. However the backs especially Jack Reed is the weak link ,missing tackles and conceding points by not being committed ,and being run down fri nite but for Milf we would not have scored . the backs need a better 3/4 quick ,I'd drop Reed or read him the riot act asap. We are conceding too many points against ,anyone agree?

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
My thoughts on how the Broncos went in origin.

I thought Parker, Hodges, Thaiday (probably in that order) were excellent. McGuire showed he belonged in SOO and Gillett got limited minutes. Boyd was tentative at best.

hellteam

First Grade
Agree with your thoughts. It's pretty ridiculous that Boyd's third (?) Game back from that injury was origin. But he was safe enough and probably a better option than anyone else qld could have picked. Should have had a try but for the shocker of a pass from inglis