What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos under investigation for possible salary cap irregularities

insert.pause

First Grade
they have been carrying yow yeh on their cap over the same period so its not like they have been advantaged anyway.

_Johnsy

Referee
:lol:

do you just bookmark news articles on your computer to bring out at a later date?

I take it Google hasn't arrived in your household yet. Next time I'll just crap on with emotion and bias without any factual basis at all. Bronc fans love that.

Last edited:

Nice Beaver

First Grade
they will cop a fine, even if say 350k is in one year. That is my opinion. 450k is fairly close to the Cowboys 200k a season in 2000 and 2001, it is the closest precedent. We can only speculate with the numbers released, there is no point in trying to say but what if there is more, no point unless they find more and release details. Knights in 2000 were almost 400k over the cap in a single year and just got a fine with the same scenario almost.

As for the last bit, show me proof sunshine, do we say your club does the same and makes sure there is nothing showing before any audits, not because they are playing by the rules but because they just need to make sure all their illegal activities are covered up well enough? All the bullshit innuendo is just that, bullshit innuendo someone like rothfield would be proud of.

Thanks for the sermon, Tony.

Canard

Immortal
they will cop a fine, even if say 350k is in one year. That is my opinion. 450k is fairly close to the Cowboys 200k a season in 2000 and 2001, it is the closest precedent. We can only speculate with the numbers released, there is no point in trying to say but what if there is more, no point unless they find more and release details. Knights in 2000 were almost 400k over the cap in a single year and just got a fine with the same scenario almost.

As for the last bit, show me proof sunshine, do we say your club does the same and makes sure there is nothing showing before any audits, not because they are playing by the rules but because they just need to make sure all their illegal activities are covered up well enough? All the bullshit innuendo is just that, bullshit innuendo someone like rothfield would be proud of.

Precedent from 14 years ago? Gee mate that's grasping.

Lossy

Juniors
I had another look at it, the Warriors were over $1.1m combined for the 2004 & 05 season and were fined $430k and lost 4 points at the start of 2006
Had a further punishment of operating under a reduced cap for the following 3-4 years also. Salary cap minus 3-400k.

Diesel

Referee
Whatever they cop, as long it's in line with whatever the precedence being set is for $500k over 2-3 years I'm fine with.

In a perfect world they should be stripped with all points and get the wooden spoon, have exemptions put on thrm and be forced to share Brisbane with another 2 other teams

Diesel

Referee
Had a further punishment of operating under a reduced cap for the following 3-4 years also. Salary cap minus 3-400k.

True, I kinda forgot that but in some ways the 2006-11 seasons weren't affected, they would've made the finals in 2006 if it wasn't the 4 pt handicap, reached the finals 2007-08 and 2010-11 plus a GF so not all is bad for the Broncos

Lossy

Juniors
True, I kinda forgot that but in some ways the 2006-11 seasons weren't affected, they would've made the finals in 2006 if it wasn't the 4 pt handicap, reached the finals 2007-08 and 2010-11 plus a GF so not all is bad for the Broncos
Yep. And the lower cap made us look harder at cheaper local juniors. Coincided with the U20s comp coming in quite nicely too.

Dogs Of War

Coach
The Broncs discovered an irregularity and immediately reported it to the NRL and advised them to investigate. That's more than the Storm and Bulldogs ever did. Nothing story.

Not true. On channel 9 they reported that a whistleblower reported it. Broncos became aware and then came forward.

Chook

First Grade
Here's hoping they investigate the Thoroughbreds involvement in all their third party deals as they have been a legal rort since inception.

Chook.

Canard

Immortal
Whatever they cop, as long it's in line with whatever the precedence being set is for $500k over 2-3 years I'm fine with.

Is precedence relevant in Rugby League though?

Seriously with constantly evolving rule changes, on and off the field I can't see this being a consideration whatsoever.

Any club should be punished in line with what the current rules and regulations are. Not what happened 15 years ago or what people wish to happen.

Latest posts