What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos under investigation for possible salary cap irregularities

u4er

Juniors
Lol, people are funny. Look back through the history of salary cap breaches. Broncos will cop a fine of around 200k, and that will be it. Assuming there's nothing else uncovered during the investigation.

blaza88z

Coach
people just want the worst possible thing to happen to us

they don't care if we get fined, they want to see us losing points and players de-registered :lol:

love it

BunniesMan

Immortal

they don't care if we get fined, they want to see us losing points and players de-registered :lol:

love it

Fines won't make a meaningful difference to a club like the Broncos. Losing points will. But I still find it hard to believe it'll go that far. I still think the NRL will "come down hard" with some weak fine and that'll be the end of it.

gregstar

Referee

love it
absolutely.

i want to see players assaulted, wives & girlfriends leaving, the club going bankrupt after news departs, a sex scandal involving griffen & a small llama, all former players found guilty of match-fixing since 1988, all former head office officials charged with every unsolved crime in queensland & recordbreakingmaroons sodomised in public by a john ribot (i realise that one may not actually be a punishment)

gUt

Coach
absolutely.

i want to see players assaulted, wives & girlfriends leaving, the club going bankrupt after news departs, a sex scandal involving griffen & a small llama, all former players found guilty of match-fixing since 1988, all former head office officials charged with every unsolved crime in queensland & recordbreakingmaroons sodomised in public by a john ribot (i realise that one may not actually be a punishment)

Or worst of all forced to merge with another club. What a disgrace that would be.

Last edited:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Broncos already have given themselves a penalty by persisting with barba and kennedy. the dogs and roosters sold us lemons. with enough work they may come good, but if they were household items you'd be complaining to the ACCC

i hope kennedy is part of the breach and we *have* to release him. send him to parra

Kiwi

First Grade
Fines won't make a meaningful difference to a club like the Broncos. Losing points will. But I still find it hard to believe it'll go that far. I still think the NRL will "come down hard" with some weak fine and that'll be the end of it.

You can't just take points away because a club is rich enough to pay a fine. The punishment will fit the crime as it should with a fine. Seeing as Souths is now in a good position financially would you be happy for your club to start losing points for finable offenses because they can afford fines now?

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Anyone who wants to start speculation without proof post shit like this

Ahhhhh so you can say that a fine is sufficient without having any of the facts but someone else is not allowed to speculate at what may have happened at Donkey's HQ? Got it now.

BunniesMan

Immortal
You can't just take points away because a club is rich enough to pay a fine. The punishment will fit the crime as it should with a fine. Seeing as Souths is now in a good position financially would you be happy for your club to start losing points for finable offenses because they can afford fines now?

I think all cap indiscretions should be punished with point deductions. The bigger the indiscretion the bigger the penalty. Say 1 point per $50,000. Because if you do wrong by the cap you're doing wrong by every other team. But a fine doesn't help every other team.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
So long as that doesn't apply to second tier breaches. Already clubs get double punished by having a season with a lot of injuries with a fine. Taking points off them would be taking the piss.

Packy

Bench
f**k this thread is hilarious. All the Bronco fans that have never had to sweat before are showing themselves to be the biggest apologists out there.

Kiwi

First Grade
So long as that doesn't apply to second tier breaches. Already clubs get double punished by having a season with a lot of injuries with a fine. Taking points off them would be taking the piss.

I think extension of the second tier cap should happen in cases where injuries force a teams hand.

Kiwi

First Grade
Ahhhhh so you can say that a fine is sufficient without having any of the facts but someone else is not allowed to speculate at what may have happened at Donkey's HQ? Got it now.

People are saying lose of points and fines, which is fine, but it is based on what is known, the 450k over 3 years. Which is very different to claiming x players contract is dodgey or claiming the Broncos spent two weeks hiding everything else before calling the NRL. There is a very big difference.

Danish

Referee
I think its premature to be saying that the club will be losing points, copping a fine, or otherwise.

To me it doesn't really matter how much they breached the cap by after a certain point. It matter much more what the intent was. Plenty of clubs go over by $100k+ now and then due to rep player payments, 2nd tier breaches etc, and those aren't really that bad as they were not intending to cheat the cap.

A team that goes over by even $100k who is found to have knowingly subverted the cap through shady means, however, should be punished and punished severely.

Kiwi

First Grade
I think all cap indiscretions should be punished with point deductions. The bigger the indiscretion the bigger the penalty. Say 1 point per $50,000. Because if you do wrong by the cap you're doing wrong by every other team. But a fine doesn't help every other team.

So according to this article relating to 2012 and the breaches you are saying that all these clubs should have started 2014 with negative points or had points docked during the 2013 season?

http://www.nrl.com/seven-clubs-fined-for-salary-cap-breaches/tabid/10874/newsid/73305/default.aspx

http://www.nrl.com/five-clubs-breach-salary-cap-in-2010/tabid/10874/newsid/62722/default.aspx

Couldn't find 2011, not through lack of trying. There are a few clubs who have breached similar to the Broncos amount each year, some over some just under. Tigers got close to 200k and only got fined. Unless they find more it'll just be a fine and no more a big deal than what the Tigers, Raiders, Sharks have done.

As shown here

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...1/history-of-salary-cap-breaches/default.aspx

Other clubs have been over by more and only received fines. Cowboys were over in 2000 and 2001 by 200k a year and coped a 100k fine. Very similar situation as to here really, and very close to the mark money wise.

So again unless they find more, and if it's there even as a Broncos fan I hope they find it, fine at worst.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
People are saying lose of points and fines, which is fine, but it is based on what is known, the 450k over 3 years. Which is very different to claiming x players contract is dodgey or claiming the Broncos spent two weeks hiding everything else before calling the NRL. There is a very big difference.

OK, so you know how much the breach was for each of the years then?

I assume you must if you are saying a fine is sufficient based on $450k over 3 years.

What if $350k of the breach is for this season?

And yes, I'm sure the Bronc's were just "checking things out" before going dutifully to the NRL. They are the Bronco's after all - the club that stands for all that is good and pure in the world.

kbw

Bench
What ever the breach or fine this stinks as Gee has been left out to cop all the blame
If Gee wasn't such a grub as a player when he played, I would feel a bit sorry for him.
In typical News fashion he has been made the scape goat for something the Broncos knew all about

Latest posts