What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos under investigation for possible salary cap irregularities

betcats

Referee
I know its just my hate saying this and its not good for the game, but I would like to see the Broncos get raped by the NRL for salary cap breaches.

gUt

Coach
I know its just my hate saying this and its not good for the game, but I would like to see the Broncos get raped by the NRL for salary cap breaches.

Which Broncos would you like to see get raped?

gUt

Coach
Its not all that complicated guys

The Broncos are under investigation right now, have no big names outside of Hannant coming off contract at the end of 2014 and we are expected to believe that they can legally fit both Milford and Boyd into the squad for 2015 and beyond

Bronco hate is rife around here but surely even staunch Broncos supporters can see that this has to be a massive issue

Personally I don't know enough about it to comment but I'm watching with as much interest as anyone. Of course I'd like us to be cleared and I'd like to know it's not some dodgy cover up that clears us.

Not sure how I'd take it if we were found to be doing a Melbourne or worse.

The Broncos hate is quite another issue and mainly comes from (fully understandable) jealousy.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Personally I don't know enough about it to comment but I'm watching with as much interest as anyone. Of course I'd like us to be cleared and I'd like to know it's not some dodgy cover up that clears us.

Not sure how I'd take it if we were found to be doing a Melbourne or worse.

The Broncos hate is quite another issue and mainly comes from (fully understandable) jealousy.

I don't think it could possibly be as bad as what the Storm cooked up. There's no suggestion of second (and third!) secret contracts for players....is there?

I think you'll find a lot of Bronco's hate stems from their hand in the Super League debacle. Believe me, that's not jealousy.

BunniesMan

Immortal
IF they've done wrong I hope the punishment is the right punishment. f**k fines. I wouldn't care if they took a million a year for the next hundred years. Taking money from them does nothing for me or my club or the wider NRL.

IF they've done wrong I hope they get competition points taken away from them. If it is the worst case scenario I want them starting on -52 next year.

MrAnonymous

Bench
I find this shit f**king hilarious.

The star studded teams the Broncos have had over the past 25yrs and nothing has been said. They finally have a squad of pretty much of plodders and they're getting done for Salary cap shit, da f**k:lol:.

As much as i despise the Broncos, I kinda hope nothing comes of this shit it will hurt the competition as a whole to much.

i'm more concerned about how the f**k Bennett is going to make the most of 4 legitimate top line fullbacks in 1 squad

4 legitimate top line fullbacks? Don't you mean 1 rookie top liner (Milf), 1 has been (Barba), 1 excellent origin winger (Boyd) and 1 fullback that every Bronco supporter I know thinks is a rubbish fullback (The Hoff)?

insert.pause

First Grade
I find this shit f**king hilarious.

The star studded teams the Broncos have had over the past 25yrs and nothing has been said. They finally have a squad of pretty much of plodders and they're getting done for Salary cap shit, da f**k:lol:.

As much as i despise the Broncos, I kinda hope nothing comes of this shit it will hurt the competition as a whole to much.

Despite what some want to believe it's not a storm-like scenario, getting done with a couple of points or a fine is not going to do to much damage to the game, Broncos will cop it and move on.

POPEYE

Coach
Can't have another team done for sloppy bookwork, everyone should be hoping the Broncos come through this alright. When you have a witch hunt you only stir up the witches, League doesn't need any more curses than betting, illegal supplements and Origin in one year

betcats

Referee
Can't have another team done for sloppy bookwork, everyone should be hoping the Broncos come through this alright. When you have a witch hunt you only stir up the witches, League doesn't need any more curses than betting, illegal supplements and Origin in one year

Some wise words here crazy P, I still cant help but hope they get f**ked though.

blaza88z

Coach
4 legitimate top line fullbacks? Don't you mean 1 rookie top liner (Milf), 1 has been (Barba), 1 excellent origin winger (Boyd) and 1 fullback that every Bronco supporter I know thinks is a rubbish fullback (The Hoff)?

none of them are about to win a Dally M but each in their own right on their day could be a first choice fullback at most clubs in the NRL

blaza88z

Coach
I don't think Hoffman is a rubbish fullback for what it's worth, I think he's a terrible ballplayer (which is what separates the standard fullbacks from the elite fullbacks)

also if you're willing to regard Barba as a "has been", I don't want to know what you thought of Jayne amidst all of those wooden spoons considering Barba is having his worst season in a still very young career

BunniesMan

Immortal

Oh what rubbish. If it is a worst case scenario situation, even that will do no long term damage to the game as a whole.

Snappy

Coach
Just old man pops getting in his daily anti-origin dig. Nothing to see there.

If we're found to have cheated, dock us points next year and move on.

Last edited:
I don't think Hoffman is a rubbish fullback for what it's worth, I think he's a terrible ballplayer (which is what separates the standard fullbacks from the elite fullbacks)

also if you're willing to regard Barba as a "has been", I don't want to know what you thought of Jayne amidst all of those wooden spoons considering Barba is having his worst season in a still very young career

The difference is that even during the Eels run of spoons, Hayne was still playing at level that sat him in the top 3-4 fullbacks in the game and saw him dominate Origin in a badly beaten side. Plus he was still the Eels best player.

Barba on the other hand is just plain awful at the moment. On current form, the only way he is retaining his spot in the side is reputation, and the fact that few coaches like to admit to making such a big dollar recruitment failure (kudos to Sk and Sticky for having the balls to do it with Sandow at the Eels). In fact, it you were recruiting only on current season form, Barba would struggle to find a home at any club playing first grade. Lachlan Maranta > B Barba at the moment.

_Johnsy

Referee
Take what you will from the below links/articles.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/league/coach-unaware-of-alleged-player-payments-20090713-dhjs.html
"Giving evidence last week at the corruption trial of former Queensland government minister Gordon Nuttall, Nissen said Talbot - a keen Broncos fan, who was often seen in the club's dressing room after games and travelled to their World Club Challenge in England in 2007 - was a generous man who had given money to some Brisbane players, as well as Bennett."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/thoroughbreds-introduced-team-to-high-life/story-e6frexni-1225757608032
"Facing seven years' jail for handing $300,000 to jailed former Queensland minister Gordon Nuttall, Talbot was alleged during the trial to have paid Broncos in cash. The claim was made under oath by Don Nissen, former Broncos chairman now head of Talbot's personal board. Legal sources believe Talbot's trial - its likely defence relying on demonstrating his generosity, which means detailing names and amounts - will have plenty of Broncos figures nervous."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/brisbane-broncos-fan-ken-talbot-paid-cash-to-shane-webcke/story-e6frg6n6-1225747115763?nk=a84cbdb03b3f32366703cde5109083a1
"The Australian understands the NRL's probe will focus on payments allegedly made to several players, including Webcke, by Talbot in return for guest appearances made at functions, mines and hotels under his business umbrella. Talbot has never been officially associated with the Broncos through an NRL-approved club sponsorship, but the founder of Macarthur Coal was a long-time member of the Thoroughbreds - a group of wealthy businessmen supporting and advising Broncos players"

Latest posts