What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos under investigation for possible salary cap irregularities

some11

Referee
Take what you will from the below links/articles.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...of-alleged-player-payments-20090713-dhjs.html
"Giving evidence last week at the corruption trial of former Queensland government minister Gordon Nuttall, Nissen said Talbot - a keen Broncos fan, who was often seen in the club's dressing room after games and travelled to their World Club Challenge in England in 2007 - was a generous man who had given money to some Brisbane players, as well as Bennett."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...eam-to-high-life/story-e6frexni-1225757608032
"Facing seven years' jail for handing $300,000 to jailed former Queensland minister Gordon Nuttall, Talbot was alleged during the trial to have paid Broncos in cash. The claim was made under oath by Don Nissen, former Broncos chairman now head of Talbot's personal board. Legal sources believe Talbot's trial - its likely defence relying on demonstrating his generosity, which means detailing names and amounts - will have plenty of Broncos figures nervous."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...747115763?nk=a84cbdb03b3f32366703cde5109083a1
"The Australian understands the NRL's probe will focus on payments allegedly made to several players, including Webcke, by Talbot in return for guest appearances made at functions, mines and hotels under his business umbrella. Talbot has never been officially associated with the Broncos through an NRL-approved club sponsorship, but the founder of Macarthur Coal was a long-time member of the Thoroughbreds - a group of wealthy businessmen supporting and advising Broncos players"

Allegations and Talbot going down in a plane crash.. that's what I got out of it.

blaza88z

Coach
other clubs fans are starting to exhibit hate towards Brisbane again, this is promising as a Brisbane fan

Nice Beaver

First Grade
other clubs fans are starting to exhibit hate towards Brisbane again, this is promising as a Brisbane fan

So this is the stock standard response to anyone daring to enjoy this is it?

Believe me pal, most have hated the Bronco's all along. Whether they are first or last the hate is there.

Slug

Juniors
IF they've done wrong I hope the punishment is the right punishment. f**k fines. I wouldn't care if they took a million a year for the next hundred years. Taking money from them does nothing for me or my club or the wider NRL.

IF they've done wrong I hope they get competition points taken away from them. If it is the worst case scenario I want them starting on -52 next year.

Booting them out of the comp would be good for starters. :D

Spot On

Coach
So this is the stock standard response to anyone daring to enjoy this is it?

Believe me pal, most have hated the Bronco's all along. Whether they are first or last the hate is there.

He's dropping in everywhere and delivering the exact same line!!!!

Hahahahah! What a deadshit. Surely he can come up with something better!!! God help him if the shit really hits the fan for the Broncs.

Spot On

Coach
wonder if Ikin knows something will happen after what he said on Sterlo

Please fill us in. What was said??? I hope it wasn't a fan of another club worried that there players might leave and sign with the Broncs???? Blahblah88 will be on Twitter unleashing!

Slug

Juniors
Unfortunately these cheating arseholes will only get a slap on the wrist now. Their dirty laundry has been washed and dried over the past 7 years....call it their own statute of limitations written by their owner.
7 years approx.

News. Corp. are ultimately responsible for the entire farce surrounding the salary cap and their clubs. No one cares about the Storm..that's why they got scapegoated. This mob, who almost ruined league and cheated their way to multiple premierships now get a slap on the wrist while poor old Cronulla get ASADA'D. 'Kn joke.

Spot On

Coach
Unfortunately these cheating arseholes will only get a slap on the wrist now. Their dirty laundry has been washed and dried over the past 7 years....call it their own statute of limitations written by their owner.
7 years approx.

News. Corp. are ultimately responsible for the entire farce surrounding the salary cap and their clubs. No one cares about the Storm..that's why they got scapegoated. This mob, who almost ruined league and cheated their way to multiple premierships now get a slap on the wrist while poor old Cronulla get ASADA'D. 'Kn joke.

f**k Slug, I like the cut of your jib. Very well said.

El Diablo

Post Whore
talked about Smith wanting to make an example of them if things have been done

possibly starting the season on negative points

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...salary-cap-ruled/story-fni3gv4u-1227017208941

Brisbane Broncos could be docked points if the club if found to have breached salary cap ruled

FOX SPORTS
August 07, 2014 8:50PM

THE Brisbane Broncos could start season 2015 on negative points if the club is found to have breached salary cap guidelines, according to Fox Sports commentator Ben Ikin.

The NRL is currently investigating claims the Broncos have cheated the salary cap by as much as $450,000 over the past three years, through third-party deals including a $400,000 loan from the Leagues club.

A number of high-profile Broncos players have been interviewed in recent weeks as part of the probe, and while there is on suggestion any players or their agents have done anything wrong, investigators have been unable to talk to former football operations manager Andrew Gee, who is no longer employed by the club.

Talking on Sterlo, Ikin suggested the NRL will make an example of the club should it be found guilty of breaching the guidelines by docking competition points, as a warning to other NRL clubs looking to circumvent the salary cap.

“One thing I know is that Dave Smith and the NRL have a big appetite to uncover the whole truth.

“And once they do, if there has been any wrongdoing or breaches, they will come down very hard because they believe that, in this instance, if they can take a strong stance it will send a very loud and clear message to the rest of the competition that salary cap rorting is unacceptable.”

Ikin added that incoming Broncos coach Wayne Bennett is more than likely across the current situation at the club and will be prepared for all potential outcomes.

“I would suggest Wayne has already been briefed by the Broncos, so too the NRL, and would be building some contingency plans that would cover anything from the loss of star players right through to the starting of the 2015 season on negative competition points.

“And that is the tip going forward that if clubs are found to have breached salary cap guidelines then the loss of competition points will become the common penalty.”

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
What the hell would Iken know what is happening re Brisbane cheats salary cap issues ?
He'd know no more than any Courier Mail hack.

Latest posts