What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos under investigation for possible salary cap irregularities

Spot On

Coach
Who was tipping bennett would stay at Newcastle. He only ever rehashes what has already been reported.

Lol. You believe Ikin would have announced Bennett's decision to the world and against his wishes? He would have known exactly what was happejing behind the scenes. He played the game just as well as his father-in-law. Bennett has taught him well.

insert.pause

First Grade
Lol. You believe Ikin would have announced Bennett's decision to the world and against his wishes? He would have known exactly what was happejing behind the scenes. He played the game just as well as his father-in-law. Bennett has taught him well.

Either way it doesn't make him the most credible source.

blaza88z

Coach
Ikin wouldn't have a single clue what the hell has gone down, Bennett is employed as our coach as of next year so guess what.. he won't know either

keep hanging on boys, hate us all you want it will just hurt more when your team gets flogged unless you're a Newcastle fan in which case you've been getting flogged ever since that crackhead Johns retired

blaza88z

Coach
He's dropping in everywhere and delivering the exact same line!!!!

Hahahahah! What a deadshit. Surely he can come up with something better!!! God help him if the shit really hits the fan for the Broncs.

that's the first time I have said that, give yourself an uppercut and if that uppercut proves to be fatal I hope you come back in your next life and follow a real rugby league team

other clubs fans are starting to exhibit hate towards Brisbane again, this is promising as a Brisbane fan

For any other reason, I love the hate from other fans. But for cheating every fan of every other club deserves to put unlimited shit on the club and you won't see me smiling about it. I will just be ashamed.

If this is all true, then it's f**king awful, 26 years of greatness and the legacy gets pissed on.

blaza88z

Coach
For any other reason, I love the hate from other fans. But for cheating every fan of every other club deserves to put unlimited shit on the club and you won't see me smiling about it. I will just be ashamed.

If this is all true, then it's f**king awful, 26 years of greatness and the legacy gets pissed on.

if we had done anything as sinister as everyone is hoping, the findings would have been released by now

the fact that noone actually knows what is going on is enough for the vermin to feed off of and I will sleep easy tonight knowing they're feeding off it like frenzied maniacs

blaza88z

Coach
The only merkin in here with hurt feelings is you.

f**king settle down.

you're absolutely right, perhaps I will vent my inner anger in a match thread by predicting the opposition of Brisbane to win 13+ using the same reason for doing so on a week to week basis

Griffoshark66

First Grade
if we had done anything as sinister as everyone is hoping, the findings would have been released by now

the fact that noone actually knows what is going on is enough for the vermin to feed off of and I will sleep easy tonight knowing they're feeding off it like frenzied maniacs

Guess the Sharks have done nothing sinister either then?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/br...tion-digs-deeper/story-fndv2w3r-1227017104723

Broncos Leagues club seeks legal advice as NRL salary cap investigation digs deeper

7 hours ago August 08, 2014 12:00AM

BRONCOS Leagues club have hired one of Queensland’s top lawyers as the NRL extends its salary cap probe to eight players including Brisbane-bound Anthony Milford and co-captain Corey Parker.

On the eve of their must-win clash against the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium, a Courier-Mail investigation can reveal:

■ Former Broncos Leagues boss Geoff Kuehner, who quit on July 23, allegedly authorised payments totalling $298,000 to Brisbane’s football arm;

■ NRL salary cap auditor Jamie L’Oste Brown will interview Milford next week over the composition of his Broncos contract;

■ Parker’s new two-year deal, brokered in April, will be scrutinised;

■ One player has fronted a Broncos board member seeking more than $50,000 in unpaid contract money;

■ Former football manager Andrew Gee has sought legal advice following his sudden resignation in May; and

■ Corporate lawyer Angelo Venardos has been engaged by Broncos Leagues after the club, via Venardos, voluntarily submitted a report to ASIC a fortnight ago.

While Ben Barba and Martin Kennedy have been interviewed, Parker and Milford are other leading players in the crosshairs of the NRL’s integrity unit probe.

L’Oste Brown was scheduled to meet Milford, currently contracted to the Raiders, in Canberra on Tuesday. But without legal representation, Milford was unable to attend and will now be interviewed after his side’s clash against Parramatta this Saturday in Darwin.

There is no suggestion the players, their agents or any current or ex-Broncos employees have orchestrated a salary cap breach.

A third of Brisbane’s full-time squad were summoned to Red Hill last week to be interviewed by NRL investigators. The group was told the selection was “random”. The players’ managers were banned from attending but the Broncos organised legal representation for the group, which included Barba and Kennedy.

Auditors asked the players about the nature of their deals and details of any third-party arrangements. The NRL is specifically interested in contracts brokered between 2011-14, including that of Parker, who does not have a manager and deals directly with Broncos hierarchy.

Milford’s manager Sam Ayoub confirmed his client has been contacted by NRL investigators. He insists Milford’s Broncos deal is not in jeopardy, despite Canberra being perplexed at the 20-year-old rejecting their base offer of $900,000 a season for three years.

“The NRL want to interview him and they are entitled to,” Ayoub said.

“Anthony couldn’t make it at a day’s notice so it didn’t happen, but we said not a problem in the world, we have no issue.

“I’ve been told by the NRL it’s in relation to salary cap issues at the Broncos from 2011-14. Anthony joins the Broncos in 2015 so we have no concerns.”

Asked if his deal was being investigated by the NRL, Parker said: “They would talk to most people. It’s all part of the process of an investigation.”

Barba’s manager Chris Orr said the former Dally M winner left the interview comfortable with his contractual terms at the Broncos.

“Ben was among a bunch of players who were interviewed,” he said.

“He was asked a few questions and he fully co-operated with the Broncos and the NRL.”

While the NRL are ramping up their football-club probe, Broncos Leagues have engaged legal help via Venardos to assist in dealings with ASIC.

At this stage, ASIC have not launched a formal investigation.

It is believed that the evidence submitted to ASIC says Gee did not use any funds for personal gain. All transactions were itemised in Broncos Leagues Club accounts, with Kuehner, as CEO, allegedly approving the alleged payments.

Kuehner did not return calls to The Courier-Mail. Broncos chairman Dennis Watt declined to comment, while CEO Paul White said following Kuehner’s departure: “We continue to co-operate fully with the NRL.”

Venardos, who worked at ASIC for seven years, confirmed on Wednesday he was representing Broncos Leagues. Should ASIC choose to open an investigation, they have the power to interview Gee, who is refusing to co-operate with the NRL probe.

“A letter was sent on behalf of the Leagues club spelling out a history of certain matters (the alleged payments) and some of the issues that have already been made public,” he said.

“At this stage, it’s in the assessment phase. Just because ASIC has been notified it doesn’t mean the leagues club or anyone associated with the leagues club has done anything wrong.”

Asked if Gee could be compelled to talk, Venardos said: “Absolutely, they can interview anyone.

“If ASIC choose to investigate, they (can) could talk to staff members at the leagues club, former directors, as long as there is a link or relevance to any matter under investigation. They have very broad powers in the course of investigations.”

Spot On

Coach
Either way it doesn't make him the most credible source.

As far as Bennett is concerned, Ikin would know much more about Bennett's thought and plans than anyone you would deem a 'credible source'.

Who are those you believe are credible sources?

Spot On

Coach
Anyone think Blahblah88 is becoming somewhat paranoid about others and their feelings about his beloved Broncs?

Noname36

First Grade
keep hanging on boys, hate us all you want it will just hurt more when your team gets flogged unless you're a Newcastle fan in which case you've been getting flogged ever since that crackhead Johns retired

And your club hasn't won a f**king thing since Bennett left and is now going backwards by bringing him back instead of trying to move on.

You'd wanna hope you win something in the next 3 years because you're gonna be even further behind after that...and you're not exactly giving Bennett a good head start to do that with being found out for being f**king cheats.

betcats

Referee
Milford being interviewed next week( the paper said he turned down 900k a season from the raiders, if thats anywhere close to correct fmd!), Gee refusing to cooperate and seeking legal advice and the Broncos hiring a lawyer who used to work for asic. This stinks for the broncs.

Latest posts