What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Jets

The Great Dane

First Grade
Nope, they were giants, monsters, even kronos was regarded as one
View attachment 47372
Merriam-Webster, and you, are wrong.

The Titans were the pantheon of gods whom preceded (and sired) the Olympians in Greek Mythology. Cronus was the king of the Titans, the god of time, and depicted in the myths as a slightly tragic character that became corrupted by power and fear and as such had to be overthrown.

I forget the exact story word for word, and giving the abridged version; Cronus gets a prophecy that his children the Olympians will one day over throw him, which leads him to become extremely paranoid and start cannibalising them to try and prevent it from happening. Naturally the Olympians don't like their farther eating them and revolt, which leads to a sort of civil war within the Titans and Olympians which ends with the Brothers Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon (and maybe some others I'm forgetting) getting Cronus drunk on fermented honey and chaining him up in the cave Nyx where he sleeps for eternity, and trapping most of the other Titans in Tartarus.

The story is an allegory about the corrupting elements of power.
Its the whole human vs mutant (x-men)
Issue, no one can prove or disprove, what the titans actually looked like other that they were giants, kronos offspring could have been smaller than giants, but still larger than the average human, thus still being considered god like. Most movie depictions of both gods and titans show this too, not that thats evidence of course, (im going off hercules, and wrath/clash of the titans)
That's not true either.

There're detailed descriptions in the myths of what the Titans (and Olympians) looked like, and contemporary depictions of them in art from the time.
Normally they are just depicted as exceptional looking humans. Imagine giant 10 out of 10 super models with miraculous powers and that describes what most Greek gods looked like.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Charles Kingsford-Smith has been dead since 1935. I don't see how a brand based around a man who has been dead for over 85 years will appeal to RL fans who've never heard of him.

Brisbane Kings, with King Wally Lewis as their brand.
Because it gives you a historic connection to the market, it gives you a foundational narrative to sell, and a golden age of aviation theme offers massive marketing and merchandising opportunities.

I bet you I could sell fifty pares of official Jets/Bombers aviators and WWII style bomber jackets for every ten 'Kings' shirts with Wally Lewis on them, and put simply that is why it's a better brand.
You also wouldn't need to pay Charles Kingsford-Smith for his image, would would have pay Wally Lewis for his.

Pippen94

First Grade
Merriam-Webster, and you, are wrong.

The Titans were the pantheon of gods whom preceded (and sired) the Olympians in Greek Mythology. Cronus was the king of the Titans, the god of time, and depicted in the myths as a slightly tragic character that became corrupted by power and fear and as such had to be overthrown.

I forget the exact story word for word, and giving the abridged version; Cronus gets a prophecy that his children the Olympians will one day over throw him, which leads him to become extremely paranoid and start cannibalising them to try and prevent it from happening. Naturally the Olympians don't like their farther eating them and revolt, which leads to a sort of civil war within the Titans and Olympians which ends with the Brothers Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon (and maybe some others I'm forgetting) getting Cronus drunk on fermented honey and chaining him up in the cave Nyx where he sleeps for eternity, and trapping most of the other Titans in Tartarus.

The story is an allegory about the corrupting elements of power.

That's not true either.

There're detailed descriptions in the myths of what the Titans (and Olympians) looked like, and contemporary depictions of them in art from the time.
Normally they are just depicted as exceptional looking humans. Imagine giant 10 out of 10 super models with miraculous powers and that describes what most Greek gods looked like.

You found Wikipedia

Pippen94

First Grade
Because it gives you a historic connection to the market, it gives you a foundational narrative to sell, and a golden age of aviation theme offers massive marketing and merchandising opportunities.

I bet you I could sell fifty pares of official Jets/Bombers aviators and WWII style bomber jackets for every ten 'Kings' shirts with Wally Lewis on them, and put simply that is why it's a better brand.
You also wouldn't need to pay Charles Kingsford-Smith for his image, would would have pay Wally Lewis for his.

What are you a hundred years old?!

WWII was a terrible period for many of the "New Australians" who arrived in the 50s as refugees. The last thing people want is a reminder of the bloodshed their ancestors endured during the most gruesome time in recent memory.

The Great Dane

First Grade
WWII was a terrible period for many of the "New Australians" who arrived in the 50s as refugees. The last thing people want is a reminder of the bloodshed their ancestors endured during the most gruesome time in recent memory.
That's nice and all, but it doesn't change the fact that what I guess you could call the aviation motif from that time period, and the ones directly after it, are still extremely popular to this day.

Besides you can look to be offended by anything by making such reductive arguments about them, but just because something can be made to be "offensive" when framed in just the right way and with the right degree of manufactured outrage, doesn't mean that is actually offensive in any meaningful way to anybody in the broader society.

In other words spare me your faux outrage.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Also using those standards you could make almost all sporting brands too 'gruesome' to be used.

That's nice and all, but it doesn't change the fact that what I guess you could call the aviation motif from that time period, and the ones directly after it, are still extremely popular to this day.

Besides you can look to be offended by anything by making such reductive arguments about them, but just because something can be made to be "offensive" when framed in just the right way and with the right degree of manufactured outrage, doesn't mean that is actually offensive in any meaningful way to anybody in the broader society.

In other words spare me your faux outrage.
My grandparents came to Australia as refugees in the 50s. The country they were from was bombed to buggery. They were never the same after the torture they experienced at the hands of the Germans. I'm not going to support a team that reminds me of the horrors my grandparents endured.

Perth Red

Post Whore
My grandparents came to Australia as refugees in the 50s. The country they were from was bombed to buggery. They were never the same after the torture they experienced at the hands of the Germans. I'm not going to support a team that reminds me of the horrors my grandparents endured.

really? So your not a fan of the raiders due to the Vikings rape and plunder? Or the cowboys for the horrors inflicted on the indigenous Americans by the Wild West?, I mean how far back are you going to be upset by?

I’ve worked with many of the ww2 generation and many had the time of their life, especially the women. Of course others went through real horror, but even many of them had nostalgia for the period for different reasons, not that there are many left who have direct memories of those times.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That story more or less describes pretty much everybody's family from the time (including my own). You are one of the few whom is choosing to act offended instead of taking pride in the struggles they survived through, and frankly you aren't even doing it sincerely.

BTW, nobody, I repeat nobody, suggested that the club have a WWII theme. So you aren't even arguing a point that anybody made, just shouting into the wind like always.

The Great Dane

First Grade
really? So your not a fan of the raiders due to the Vikings rape and plunder? Or the cowboys for the horrors inflicted on the indigenous Americans by the Wild West?, I mean how far back are you going to be upset by?
Why stop with the easy examples of Vikings and Cowboys?
  • Tigers, Panthers, and Sharks- eat people and are victims of poaching and organised crime trading in their goods.
  • Bulldogs- dogfighting and bear-baiting, animal abuse, and unethical breeding practices.
  • Titans- cannibalism and dangerous cults.
  • Storm- natural disasters that kill many and ruin many more lives.
  • Warriors and Knights- see Vikings, also I bet I could find some morons who would claim the Warriors brand is a racist stereotype.
  • Dragons- connection to St. George, all the worst parts of Christianity and organised religion in general, plus connection to England and colonialism.
  • Pirates- do I really need to explain?
  • Dolphins- the ethics of Sea World and other marine parks (Blackfish), Dolphin hunting practices, habitat destruction and pollution, overfishing.
See you can twist almost anything into being offensive if you really want to.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Why stop with the easy examples of Vikings and Cowboys?
  • Tigers, Panthers, and Sharks- eat people and are victims of poaching and organised crime trading in their goods.
  • Bulldogs- dogfighting and bear-baiting, animal abuse, and unethical breeding practices.
  • Titans- cannibalism and dangerous cults.
  • Storm- natural disasters that kill many and ruin many more lives.
  • Warriors and Knights- see Vikings, also I bet I could find some morons who would claim the Warriors brand is a racist stereotype.
  • Dragons- connection to St. George, all the worst parts of Christianity and organised religion in general, plus connection to England and colonialism.
  • Pirates- do I really need to explain?
  • Dolphins- the ethics of Sea World and other marine parks (Blackfish), Dolphin hunting practices, habitat destruction and pollution, overfishing.
See you can twist almost anything into being offensive if you really want to.
You forgot roosters = cockfighting and KFC