What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Jets

Come on merkins!!!

Rabbit—ohhhhs!!!

The unrelenting murder of hares and rabbits in Redfern, Waterloo etc by men seeking meat and pelts.
Then to callously holler in the streets, proud of their crimes. FFS they rub it in by parading around a fretful furry rabbit as their mascot trying to make amends for the atrocities of the past.

Plus my great nan once braised a rabbit and choked on a bone.
I’ll never support the Rabbitohs again.

That story more or less describes pretty much everybody's family from the time (including my own). You are one of the few whom is choosing to act offended instead of taking pride in the struggles they survived through, and frankly you aren't even doing it sincerely.

BTW, nobody, I repeat nobody, suggested that the club have a WWII theme. So you aren't even arguing a point that anybody made, just shouting into the wind like always.
You did, actually.

"I bet you I could sell fifty pares of official Jets/Bombers aviators and WWII style bomber jackets for every ten 'Kings' shirts with Wally Lewis on them, and put simply that is why it's a better brand."​

My grandmother was raped twice by invading troops, producing 2 kids, and my grandfather was held in a concentration camp where he almost died. It changed their lives for the worse and impacted on how they raised their children. My mother is still feeling the impacts of it today.

None of the current 16 NRL brands can be linked to millions of deaths over a 6 year period within the last 100 years. There are countries in Europe still rebuilding due to the bombings and loss of life sustained in WWII.

Come on merkins!!!

Rabbit—ohhhhs!!!

The unrelenting murder of hares and rabbits in Redfern, Waterloo etc by men seeking meat and pelts.
Then to callously holler in the streets, proud of their crimes. FFS they rub it in by parading around a fretful furry rabbit as their mascot trying to make amends for the atrocities of the past.

Yeah but they stopped doing that after everyone in Redfern lost their teeth.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You did, actually.

"I bet you I could sell fifty pares of official Jets/Bombers aviators and WWII style bomber jackets for every ten 'Kings' shirts with Wally Lewis on them, and put simply that is why it's a better brand."​
God you're so full of shit that it's embarrassing!

I specifically said-
Because it gives you a historic connection to the market, it gives you a foundational narrative to sell, and a golden age of aviation theme offers massive marketing and merchandising opportunities.
For obvious reasons bomber jackets were invented during the World Wars, but remain a popular fashion item to this day, and that classic style was ubiquitous through to at least the 80s. Then Top Gun came out and the more modern style became more popular.

I specifically chose the examples of bomber jackets and aviators because of this official mockup that the Bombers produced back in the day of potential merchandising opportunities-
0b488fbaeffd1b9c688cb6734ee62836

Notice the the blue fur-lined bomber jacket down the bottom there.
My grandmother was raped twice by invading troops, producing 2 kids, and my grandfather was held in a concentration camp where he almost died. It changed their lives for the worse and impacted on how they raised their children. My mother is still feeling the impacts of it today.
Again, almost everybody in the world has similar family stories from the time.

So join the club because that time period sucked for everybody, but you can't change history and pretending it didn't happen is the best way to make sure that it repeats it's self.
None of the current 16 NRL brands can be linked to millions of deaths over a 6 year period within the last 100 years. There are countries in Europe still rebuilding due to the bombings and loss of life sustained in WWII.
Sure if you want to frame it in exactly that way, but it'd be idiotic to frame it that way as, A. activist for other causes would see the tactic and copy it (as has happened in America), and B. it would make it look like you are trying to frame the suffering in that specific period as worse or more important than the suffering in other periods of history, which is an extremely dangerous path to tread both ethically and philosophically.

However, I'd love to see you tell e.g. the Native Americans that Wounded Knee and the Trail of Tears were somehow less significant than WII. You'd probably start a riot lol.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Come on merkins!!!

Rabbit—ohhhhs!!!

Seriously though, doing it with the Rabbitohs is easy as pie.

People suffering through the Great Depression and abject poverty more generally.

God you're so full of shit that it's embarrassing!

I specifically said-
For obvious reasons bomber jackets were invented during the World Wars, but remain a popular fashion item to this day, and that classic style was ubiquitous through to at least the 80s. Then Top Gun came out and the more modern style became more popular.

I specifically chose the examples of bomber jackets and aviators because of this official mockup that the Bombers produced back in the day of potential merchandising opportunities-
0b488fbaeffd1b9c688cb6734ee62836

Notice the the blue fur-lined bomber jacket down the bottom there.
You did mention WWII, so knock off the BS. The Bombers brand used WWII style logos and promos. It was the least popular bid of the bunch and had to saddle up with Jets to remain relevant. I think that says everything about how much appetite there is in Brisbane for a WWII themed team.

Again, almost everybody in the world has similar family stories from the time.

So join the club because that time period sucked for everybody, but you can't change history and pretending it didn't happen is the best way to make sure that it repeats it's self.

No one is saying we should pretend it didn't happen. I just said we shouldn't celebrate it. There's a reason why Nazi propaganda isn't allowed to be celebrated.

Spare me the BS about nearly every family having members locked up in a concentration camp during WWII. It's just not true. The only civilians who endured this fate were those from central Europe and eastern Asia. It didn't happen anywhere else. 4.5 million Poles died, most of them civilians, at the hands of Nazi gunfire or in a concentration camp where they were starved, tortured and worked to death in the most unsanitary conditions. The majority of the world's population did not experience this, and it's an insult for you to sit there and pretend that India, Australia and America were in the same boat as the Poles.

Sure if you want to frame it in exactly that way, but it'd be idiotic to frame it that way as, A. activist for other causes would see the tactic and copy it (as has happened in America), and B. it would make it look like you are trying to frame the suffering in that specific period as worse or more important than the suffering in other periods of history, which is an extremely dangerous path to tread both ethically and philosophically.

However, I'd love to see you tell e.g. the Native Americans that Wounded Knee and the Trail of Tears were somehow less significant than WII. You'd probably start a riot lol.
What happened to the Poles, Jews and east Asians in WWII was far worse. People were tortured over long periods and starved to death. The Japanese would perform experimental operations on fully conscious civilians from Russia and China.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You did mention WWII, so knock off the BS. The Bombers brand used WWII style logos and promos. It was the least popular bid of the bunch and had to saddle up with Jets to remain relevant. I think that says everything about how much appetite there is in Brisbane for a WWII themed team.

No one is saying we should pretend it didn't happen. I just said we shouldn't celebrate it. There's a reason why Nazi propaganda isn't allowed to be celebrated.

Spare me the BS about nearly every family having members locked up in a concentration camp during WWII. It's just not true. The only civilians who endured this fate were those from central Europe and eastern Asia. It didn't happen anywhere else. 4.5 million Poles died, most of them civilians, at the hands of Nazi gunfire or in a concentration camp where they were starved, tortured and worked to death in the most unsanitary conditions. The majority of the world's population did not experience this, and it's an insult for you to sit there and pretend that India, Australia and America were in the same boat as the Poles.
Everything you've said here are just strawmen. You literally have not addressed one point that I actually made, it's quite impressive actually.

I will address one thing though, the Bombers brand was absolutely not WWII themed.

For one thing Charles Kingsford Smith flew in WWI, not WWII (in fact he died before WWII), and that isn't even what he was famous for.
And with the exception of the the Bombers name and air sirens (which aren't intrinsically linked to WWII anyway), almost all their other imagery was post-war aviation themed, mainly 50s-60s aviation stereotypes.
What happened to the Poles, Jews and east Asians in WWII was far worse. People were tortured over long periods and starved to death. The Japanese would perform experimental operations on fully conscious civilians from Russia and China.
There're innumerable periods and cultures in history that have committed unspeakable crimes against humanity, to try and rank them as better or worse seems like an impossible task to me. A real fool's errand, and a dangerous one at that.

The only real difference between the early 20th century and previous time periods is that it was the first time when global war, industrial genocide, and recording the horrors of war through the medium of film, were really possible.

Last edited:
Everything you've said here are just strawmen. You literally have not addressed one point that I actually made, it's quite impressive actually.

I will address one thing though, the Bombers brand was absolutely not WWII themed.

For one thing Charles Kingsford Smith flew in WWI, not WWII (in fact he died before WWII), and that isn't even what he was famous for.
And with the exception of the the Bombers name and air sirens (which aren't intrinsically linked to WWII anyway), almost all their other imagery was post-war aviation themed, mainly 50s-60s aviation stereotypes.

There're innumerable periods and cultures in history that have committed unspeakable crimes against humanity, to try and rank them as better or worse seems like an impossible task to me. A real fool's errand, and a dangerous one at that.

The only real difference between the early 20th century and previous time periods is that it was the first time when global war, industrial genocide, and recording the horrors of war through the medium of film, were really possible.
I just read up on CKS as it's been over 20 years since I learnt about him at school.

He lived all over the place, including Canada as a kid, and is mostly known for setting speed and distance records. How is that relevant to an RL team created over 80 years since his death?

Wikipedia says this:

Shortly after his second marriage he joined the New Guard,[8] a radical monarchist, anti-communist, and allegedly fascist-inspired organisation.[10]​

There's no way today's PC culture will accept this. The forum we're talking on has plenty of crazy communists posting away in the Four Corners section.

MugaB

Coach
I just read up on CKS as it's been over 20 years since I learnt about him at school.

He lived all over the place, including Canada as a kid, and is mostly known for setting speed and distance records. How is that relevant to an RL team created over 80 years since his death?

Wikipedia says this:

Shortly after his second marriage he joined the New Guard,[8] a radical monarchist, anti-communist, and allegedly fascist-inspired organisation.[10]​

There's no way today's PC culture will accept this. The forum we're talking on has plenty of crazy communists posting away in the Four Corners section.
What the F... are we all debating about?
Who cares who the bombers image is of, it could be just a pilot, we can make it a female pilot make it look like carol danvers, she flys jets and is a comicbook character, it doesn't have to be a specific person, the adelaide thunderbirds in netball have a cool logo that has a female with almost illawarra steelers-like look, it could be a race car driver or any old pilot of somesort, its not specific to any actual one thing, im not saying do anything exactly like the thunderbirds, but a generic pilot of any gender, instead of a boring old plane could work better and cause a lot less drama

toomuchsoup

Juniors
For f**ks sake.... BLUE! In a comp that is over saturated with blue, one of the new teams want to be.... BLUE! And they’re creeping on one of the only other green teams unique shade of green. I hope they don’t get in if that’s the identity they’re going for
4271675B-ED5A-4674-922A-4F300A3BE7D0.jpeg

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Here are 30 reasons why the Brisbane Jets bid should win the NRL’s 17th team licence

Here are 30 reasons why the Brisbane Jets led by Ipswich chairman Steve Johnson, should win the NRL licence bid. They are the names of 30 league elites from the Ipswich district.

Ipswich SHS’s famous son, Allan Langer.

What do Allan Langer, Sam Walker, Kevin Walters and Luke Keary have in common aside from being elite halves?

They all come from Ipswich.

Ipswich is an old coal mining town, but when it comes to rugby league Ipswich is also resource rich, with talent around most clubs and schools in Ipswich.

As the Brisbane Jets bid for the 17th NRL licence, led by Ipswich Jets chairman Steve Johnson, gathers momentum, we give you an insight into some of the past and present talent which emphasises the playing strength of the region.

Current NRL players from the district include Philip Sami (Queensland. Titans), Treymaine Spry (TItans), Ronaldo Mulitalo (Sharks), Tautau Moga (Knights) Jo Ofahengaue (Wests Tigers), David Fifita (Titans), Anthony Milford (Broncos), Matt Parcell (English Super League), Luke Keary (Roosters), Jake Turpin (Broncos), Sam Walker (Roosters), Kurt Capewell (Penrith) and Thomas Mikaele (Wests Tigers).

Throw into the mix past Queensland or Australian players such as Kevin Walters, Kerrod Walters, Steve Walters, Allan Langer, Chris Beattie, Noel Kelly, Ian Robson, Gary Coyne, Denis Flannery, Rod Morris, Dud Beattie, Des Morris, Greg Quinn, Dud Beattie, Larry Briggenshaw and Gary Purcell, to name a few, and you have an all-star group to match it with any Team of the Century from other regions.

“There are so many talented schoolboys that have come from Ipswich,’’ said Ipswich SHS Langer Cup coach and teacher Joshua Bretherton.

“When you listen to the current group of players talk, they are very excited about the potential NRL club in the region.

“It would mean so much to them, they are very passionate about the area.

“It is another club for them to perssuade their talents and stay close to family.’’

Other Australian players like Townsville born Peter Gallagher (St Edmund’s College), Roma’s Willie Carne (Ipswich Boys Grammar School) and Sarina raised Dale Shearer (Ipswich SHS) attended school in the region.

The Ipswich Jets are also a stepping stone to bigger things, with the likes of Manly premiership winner Steve Matai who used the Jets as a springboard into the NRL, while players like Brad Chicken, Danny Coburn, Glen Haggath, Ian Lacey, Donald Malone, and Ray Ovens, to name a few, went on to represented Queenslansd Residents from Ipswich.

Then you have elite BRL club players like Ipswich SHS past student and Brisbane representative prop Al McInness, Queensland representative, Ray Kelly, gun half Kevin Langer, Queensland Residents’ player Steve Parcell and BRL/Queensland Cup hit man Darren Wolens giving you an additional snap shot of just some of the talent which has swirled in and out of club and school rugby league around the region.

Ipswich SHS alone has a glittering array of past players such as Shearer, Langer, Sami, Spry Ronaldo Mulitalo and brother Lorenzo, Lupe Tivalu (Storm), Kiko Manu (Bulldogs), Valu Lisati (Penrith Jersey Flegg), Evander Tere-Rongotaua (Roosters Jersey Flegg), Ilai Tuia (Penrith Jersey Flegg), Elone Taufa (Penrith Jersey Flegg), Josh Cleeland (Bulldogs) and Daniel Ticehurst (Knights).

Two from the current crop from the Ipswich SHS, prop Josiah Pahulu (Titans) and second rower Kulikefu Finefeuiaki (Cowboys), will spearhead Ipswich SHS’s Langer Cup campaign, while the likes of Raiden Fonoti (Souths Logan), Kea Pere (Brisbane Tigers) and Faitatoa Faitatoa (Tweed Seagulls) play in the Queensland Cup.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/ques...e/news-story/e77c06b4725ed9d90541a7f238d2b658

Perth Red

Post Whore
What a strange article, all it says to me is that Ipswich doesnt need an NRL team to produce talent as it is doing so already!

Never heard of 'Brad Chicken" before but its a cracking name for a RL player lol

What a strange article, all it says to me is that Ipswich doesnt need an NRL team to produce talent as it is doing so already!

Never heard of 'Brad Chicken" before but its a cracking name for a RL player lol
I think I remember him.

Ray Ovens played in the 1980s. You can see footage of him playing in the 1988 and 1989 BRL GFs as halfback on YouTube.

Marshall Chalk played in the early 2000s.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

Expansion hopefuls Brisbane Jets deny they are broke ahead of NRL’s Monday bid submission deadline​

The NRL’s three expansion hopefuls must submit their formal bids by Monday. And the Jets have hit out at claims they lack the funds to become Brisbane’s second NRL team in 2023.

The Brisbane Jets have rubbished concerns about their financial viability as the prospective expansion teams prepare to table formal bids to the NRL.

The expansion battle is about to get serious with the three consortia bidding to become the NRL’s 17th team in 2023 — the Jets, Firehawks and Dolphins — ready to submit their applications before Monday’s 5pm deadline.

The ARL Commissioners and NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo will be among the figureheads who will examine the three bid documents with a view to announcing Brisbane’s new NRL team in July in a landmark month for the code.

While the Redcliffe-based Dolphins possess $100 million in assets and the Easts Tigers-backed Firehawks have $25 million in cash reserves, there are fears the Jets are broke and will struggle to meet the NRL’s request for a $10m bank guarantee.

But Jets bid co-chief Nick Livermore scoffed at speculation the western-corridor consortium is battling a cash crisis and cannot bankroll a second Brisbane team to challenge the Broncos.

“Financial viability will only be one part of the assessment process but we can assure the NRL we have no concerns about our finances,” Livermore said.

“We are comfortable that the Commission will want a bank guarantee and there may come a time when they may require more than $10 million, and we could certainly stretch out financially to demonstrate that.

“It’s not just about having start-up money, but the ability to create funding long-term and that’s what we are focused on with the regions we are targeting.

“The big difference between us and the other bids is we don’t have a leagues club.

“If the NRL wants pokie money, then, yes it would be a concern for us, but if the NRL isn’t worried about pokie money being the future of the game, then we have no concerns about our financial viability.”

Firehawks bid chief Shane Richardson confirmed they have their submission ready to go and will service the western-corridor region being targeted by AFL’s Brisbane Lions if they win the NRL’s 17th licence.

“We have a really good plan around participation and expansion of the game,” Richardson said.

“I have great respect for the Jets bid, but if they don‘t get the licence, we have a plan to take on that western-corridor area and encompass everybody.

“The AFL is going out to a league area and I think it’s important rugby league grows the game in that region.

“Peter V’landys (ARLC chairman) is absolutely right, it’s time to attack the AFL in that area.”

Jets co-chief Steve Johnson said both local and state governments were ready to tip in millions for infrastructure in the western-corridor as part of Brisbane’s 2032 Olympics bid.

“With our model, we will put up money to show we will be viable,” he said.

“The days of NRL clubs being supported by leagues clubs are passe.

“If a COVID crisis hits, leagues clubs are in major trouble. You have to have other revenue streams and we will have that.”