What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

M8 not heaping shit on Sharks fans just proving they are the biggest hypocrites on these boards saying that the Bears were failures when the Sharks have been getting handouts for over two decades.
You’ll be in a Perth Bears jersey soon, can’t wait to see that.
I hope it's a red and black jersey without gold to really rub it in that it's not the Western Reds.

Centy Coast

Juniors
No extra funding since 97 SL. Thats a good 27 years ago.
So you should be saying "Sharks haven't had a hand out for over two decades"
Your comprehension and writing skills are the equivalent of Norths Directors not being able to read the contract they signed with Manly. ie: non-existent.
Sharks still got plenty of hand outs, something the Bears never got the opportunity to receive and you have the audacity to call the Bears a failed club, pot calling the kettle black. Your comments count for nothing with this kind of logic.
Again read the comments on here before embarrasing yourself, Bears boards members didn’t care what they were signing as they were paid off $$$, seriously what day program do you attend ?.

MugaB

Coach
I wasn't going to lay the boot in, but you should stick to the facts. The Sharks were propped up by the NSWRL, and received handouts from the ARL and SL as well.

• In 1983, after the Sharks had run into debt, the NSWRL stepped in and provided a loan.
  • In 1993, Cronulla went into receivership, with the ARL bailing them out.
  • In 1995, the lure of dollars saw them jump ship and join Super League.
  • In 2004, former coach John Lang declared, "The Sharks have no influence and no money. They have spent half their history staving off bankruptcy... some seasons have been a success just to exist."
And let's not talk about Geoffrey Edelsten... actually, let's talk about that, the day club officials tried to sell the team to a media portrayed snake oil salesman.

In 1986, medico-gad-about-town Geoffrey Edelsten and his blonde sidekick Leanne tried to buy the Sharks. The club rolled out the red carpet, only to be blocked by the NSWRL.

And they cheated the cap the year they won their first Premiership but it had not bearing on the victory, huh ?.

Be very careful, Sharks winning the premiership in 2016 had no record of salary cap breaches, it was the year after, and that was dealt with a penalty (large fine) same as parra, these weren't blatant cheating, it was just bad management and they went over somewhat, and not by much, which stilll should get punished regardless, but not the "hiding of secret payments" like what was going on in Victoria, that was blatant

Centy Coast

Juniors
Be very careful, Sharks winning the premiership in 2016 had no record of salary cap breaches, it was the year after, and that was dealt with a penalty (large fine) same as parra, these weren't blatant cheating, it was just bad management and they went over somewhat, and not by much, which stilll should get punished regardless, but not the "hiding of secret payments" like what was going on in Victoria, that was blatant
Last time I looked, if you were over you were over, cheating is cheating, it was only covered up and sugar coated because the NRL didn’t want to ruin the fairytale of the Sharks first Premiership for rugby league fans in the Shire.
Sure you can’t compare it to Melbournes two sets of books etc but if you are over you are over.
Tainted Premiership that should have a * next to it.

Vlad59

Juniors
Weak gutted dog club and supporter
Your posts here have been a litany of lies and bullshit. You’ve been shown up as a liar constantly over the last 24 hours yet you’ve continued to fight from a corner with a losing hand. It’s been pathetic to watch.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Your posts here have been a litany of lies and bullshit. You’ve been shown up as a liar constantly over the last 24 hours yet you’ve continued to fight from a corner with a losing hand. It’s been pathetic to watch.
How am I lying when I have actual links, and the parts I didn’t have links to just type them in and they will magically appear, are you really that dumb.

docbrown

Coach
I chatted to John grant over a decade ago. He cited the Sharks and Sea Eagles. That was around 2011. It was an off hand comment over dinner.
I read a book that went into Ken Arthurson's plans. He said when Sydney clubs failed financially or didn't meet crowd goals etc, they'd merge or relocate. It definitely would have been in a more logical manner than the post-Super League compromise.

Wb1234

Referee
Does it matter where you get your handouts hahaha now your just struggling like your club, year after year after year with handout after handout after handout after handout.
How come you rorters kept your Premierships and Melbourne didn’t ?.
Geez talk about being looked after.
He’s got you lol

I knew he meant nrl not arl and was being technical

Wb1234

Referee
If they had, Super League could've had Sydney teams to the North (Bears), West (Panthers), South (Sharks) & central-ish (Bulldogs) - and probably not have bothered setting up the Rams which I understand was to make up an even number of teams.
Getting a foundation club would’ve been huge for super league

Canterbury was a big club but their other Sydney clubs were marginal at the time

Had the dragons or Newcastle gone across the arl would’ve been struggling big time

Wb1234

Referee
Weren’t they over for like five year in a row except for the year they won the gf ie before and after ?

Diesel

Referee
What V'landys said is how I feel about a 5th Queensland team coming in for now. We need to give the Dolphins a few more years' breathing space before another Brisbane bid is considered.

I can tell you as a Brisbane resident the support for the Dolphins is fever pitch. They knocked off a supposed contender in the Sharks last night, they've been all over the local news up here for most of this year, they have a genuine bona fide star in the Hammer, I even hear my colleagues talking about them in the office.

Let the Dolphins enjoy their time in the sun, let them continue to build a massive following. Don't let anything come in locally that will detract from the magnificent achievements their club has made in such a short space of time.

But what GROTD has said about the financials stacking up for a Brisbane bid team is true as well. But I would urge caution. Let the people of Perth and the south island of NZ celebrate the arrival of their own NRL teams, and then come back to Brisbane. Patience is the key for a 5th Queensland team.
Dolphins have been great for RL in Brisbane. Seeing a lot of merch on the Southside