What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane will play the WCC at Suncorp...

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Sadfish said:
Like last time yeah??

2001-c-WCC%20Winners.JPG
From what I remember, it was pissing down, you had the ref in your pocket, the broncos were in their offseason on the other side of the world and you still almost lost.

salivor

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Big Brisbane crowd??? F**k off - you lot have been telling us for weks that "no one cares" about it!!!!!!!!

BTW, if The rep Broncos wuss out, and the baby broncos play, will that be the same baby broncos that Souths flogged at Suncorp a few months ago???

We could easily get 30k, this is the same Mortein though that thinks we can't get 50k for Round 1 next year despite the fact we got 46k this year.

a) It was nearly half a year ago now
b) It was at Stadium Australia
c) 20 points isn't a flogging
d) It was the same Baby Broncos that by your definition flogged the Sharks who at that point were the form team of the comp.
e) Try harder

Misty Bee

First Grade
In other words, Brisbane went to the other side of the world to play a game they couldn't be bothered playing?????

And Wayne Bennet probably blamed NSW.

Misty Bee

First Grade
You could fill it, Dribblor, but you kept telling us no one cared. Meaning a zero crowd. Get it?

Howcome Brisbane is the ONLY club who claims some sort of major triumph by beating Cronulla??????

salivor

First Grade
And nobody really cared how much we were going to lap Souths and Canberra by in our home games against them this year either yet we still easily drew 20k for both encounters. Brisbane can draw a crowd, I know it irks you Mortein.

I see a little bit of dribble on your lip as well. Major triumph? Claimed by who? Mortein sniffing induced hallucinations don't count. A win by the Baby Broncos over what was at the time the form team of the comp is a fair effort, not a major triumph though, that was reserved for 01 Oct 2006, a day I know you'll treasure.

salivor

First Grade
innsaneink said:
When you're Australias bunnys for 30 years plus, in the international arena, you take what you can get.

And NZ's bunnys for the last 10, couldn't even make the final of the Tri Nations last year on their home soil. Good one GB, you can have a WCC victory every year if it keeps you happy, saves us putting you on suicide watch.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I'm happy that Brisbane can draw a crowd. You doubted that a week ago, dribblor, not me.

I recall I was the one hanging for Brisbane to turn up and play full strength. You wanted to pike out, so poor old Hodges could lay in a hammoc somewhere for a few more weeks.

BTW, they aint the baby broncos. They are the Clydesdales, a club who has seen a sh*tload more seasons that your mob. And claiming Cronulla were 'the form team of the comp'.....What comp was that? Superleague???? :lol::lol::lol:

From your posts I think it's quite clear who is the person with the aerosol can up his nose, and it certainly ain't me!

salivor

First Grade
I never knew fly spray could have such devastating effects, my thoughts go out to you and your family. Quite sad that you can't remember comments made less than a week ago let alone who the form team in the comp was just 4 months ago, there's a lesson there for the kiddies.

Sadfish

Juniors
salivor said:
I seem to recall Brisbane going on a pub crawl sometime in the off-season in 2001, this must've been the result of it, nice pic though. Let's see how well Saints go in Australia in the middle of the Brisbane summer in front of a big Brisbane crowd. I don't need to remind you how well English sides have gone on Australian soil in the past, cricket scores are the norm I believe. There's a challenge for the boys, who can score more, Brisbane or Australia in the ashes.

I'm sure Wigan beat Brisbane in their own back yard not so long ago to win the WCC llmao.

I certainly hope the Aussie clubs don't chicken out again from the prospect of being beaten on Aussie soil, and give an English team the CHANCE of a win.

Usually they are too scared to hold in Australia.

effnic

Bench
salivor said:
If it eventuates then I'm tipping the Baby Broncos to add another scalp to the list.
The same baby broncos the wooden spooners touched up this year?

Quidgybo

Bench
The Sunday Mail said:
Bosses want Bronco stars

Greg Davis and David Riccio
October 22, 2006 12:00am

ENGLISH rugby league powerbrokers are considering starting the entire 2007 Super League season a week earlier to allow Brisbane to field a full-strength line-up for the World Club Challenge clash with St Helens.

The Broncos have repeatedly stated they will not make their host of Test stars available for the annual match-up between the NRL and English premiers, which has been scheduled for February 4 in the UK.

Brisbane plans to give its internationals a full eight weeks' rest following the Tri-Nations tournament before they start pre-season training. This will effectively rule them out of the match against the Saints.

However, St Helens chairman Eamonn McManus says the game's governing body in England – the Rugby Football League – is considering a plan so the match can take place on February 24 with a star-studded Brisbane side.

The Saints boss says the RFL could start the English season a week earlier in February to open up a weekend for the WCC later that month so it doesn't throw out the rest of next year's schedule.

"Our point of view is that we would play the game anywhere and at anytime as long as it was viable for both clubs," McManus told The Sunday Mail from England.

"If we go ahead with February 4 with a weakened Broncos side then I think that would undervalue the game but the other alternative is to bring our whole season a week forward to open up the date towards the end of the month.

"We would love to play a full-strength Broncos side and our fans would love to see it too so hopefully we can work something out for the good of the game."

McManus said he did not envisage St Helens being able to find time in its hectic domestic schedule to make the trip to Australia later in the season and the game would almost certainly have to be played in England.

He said the club's Tri-Nations representatives would be available for the match despite the gruelling workload for the English stars that sees the Super League season start before the NRL and finish after the Australian season.

Brisbane has a February 24 trial against Canberra at Dolphin Oval on the last weekend for NRL pre-season matches before the premiership starts a fortnight later.

Canard

Immortal
McManus said he did not envisage St Helens being able to find time in its hectic domestic schedule to make the trip to Australia later in the season and the game would almost certainly have to be played in England.

What everyone seems to be forgetting about this whole thing, their are two sides competing.

Its not just the Broncos calling the shots, its St Helens decision as well.

salivor

First Grade
Sadfish said:
I'm sure Wigan beat Brisbane in their own back yard not so long ago to win the WCC llmao.

I certainly hope the Aussie clubs don't chicken out again from the prospect of being beaten on Aussie soil, and give an English team the CHANCE of a win.

Usually they are too scared to hold in Australia.

Not long ago? I guess 12 years does feel like it was just yesterday. 3 years later ESL sides were getting cricket scores put on them in Aus but a half strength competition.

Misty Bee

First Grade
effnic said:
The same baby broncos the wooden spooners touched up this year?

Don't go there, effnic, or they will start crapping on about how wonderful Cronulla are!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I've never understood why they credit the team world champions of said year in February. Surely a match as such between 2000's respective premiers would make them world club champions in 2000, not 2001. Being world champions after just one game early in the year of said year makes little sense. That's just me being pedantic though :lol:

LESStar58

Referee
Glad to see it here!

I remember the WCC played mid season at ANZ in 94 between the Broncs and Wigan had a massive crowd!

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i still dont care about this game. it would be ncie to see an aussie team win but really i'm more interested in the NRL premiership than a pre season trial between last seasons premiers.

not convinced there'll be much or a crowd if it's played at suncorp either