What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

BDGS

Bench
Carlton Blues 1864 - NSW Blues 1907
Collingwood Magpies 1892 - Western Suburbs Magpies 1908
Essendon Bombers 1872 - Brisbane Bombers
North Melbourne Kangaroos 1869 - Australian Kangaroos 1954?
Richmond Tigers 1885 - Blamain Tigers 1908
Western Bulldogs 1883 - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs 1935

Seems like a bit of lack of creativity amongst RL teams.

Westerns Bulldogs were footscray from 1883-1996. Changed name to Western Bulldogs in 1997.

http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/western_bulldogs_(1).htm

juro

Bench
Bombers doesn't have very positive imagery in rugby league.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is putting up the bomb - the least creative way of scoring a try. If you can't do anything else, boot it high and hope.

And the second thing that comes to mind is that they bombed a try - all he had to do was pass it to the unmarked player and he would have been in under the posts...

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach

Nicknames for AFL teams developed over time just like in RL.

My guess is that Essendon's name came in around WW2.

That said - Brisbane Bombers is a crap name too.

docbrown

Coach
Well Queensland Kings was my favourite pick. Has an alliteration too.

Applesauce pointed out that the Brisbane council coat of arms had a griffin on it -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...czecin_COA.svg/454px-POL_Szczecin_COA.svg.png

http://cloud.graphicleftovers.com/19349/299528/m-224c.jpg

And Griffins are Kings of both beasts and birds in heraldry, hence why they usually have crowns.

Edit: although there's the Sydney Kings, to be honest Queensland Kings is moreso in the vein of Newcastle Knights or St George Illawarra Dragons.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench

More like a lack of research.

Brutus

Referee

Do you honestly think Canterbury was known as the Bulldogs in 1935? It wasn't until the mid-to-late 70's when they became the Bulldogs from the Berries.

Same goes for a lot of the fumbleball teams you have mentioned.

It's rather amusing that you think these nicknames came into play the year these clubs were formed. lol lol lol

BuffaloRules

Coach
Essendon Bombers from 1872..

Not many bombers flying in those days!

Dud nickname for a RL team though...

Looking at the way this bid is developing, I think I want Ipswich to get in now...

Goddo

Bench
Wow, they managed to pick the most monumentally sh!t option on the list. This bid has every single advantage to cream its oposition, yet they find ways to screw the pooch, like their brand.

Terrible name. If they get up I can see the NRL telling them to get a new one.

Heres what I hope happens from here:

Manly relocate to Sunshine Coast,
Wellington "XXXX", Ipswich Jets, Perth Reds, Central Coast Bears (Manly/Cronulla must relocate for this bid though), are the next 4 expansion licences, sensibly brought in over a 10 year period, and
Sydney clubs take 6 or more games to Adelaide.

20 team NRL in 2025 looks like:

5 QLD - North Queensland Cowboys, Gold Coast Titans, Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles, Brisbane Broncos, Ipswich Jets
10 NSW - Newcastle Knights, Central Coast Bears, St George Illawarra Dragons, Sydney Roosters, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, Parramatta Eels, Penrith Panthers, Wests Tigers, Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
2 NZ - Auckland Warriors, Wellington "XXXX"
1 VIC - Melbourne Storm
1 WA - Perth Reds
1 ACT - Canberra Raiders

Last edited:

clarency

Juniors
So I'm guessing I'm the only one that thinks Bombers isn't that bad. I mean it's not my preference. I think Brisbane/Queensland Kings was the way to go, though Bombers is hardly the worst option on that list.

Though I do see the AFL having a cry in the media about it...

Well Queensland Kings was my favourite pick. Has an alliteration too.

Applesauce pointed out that the Brisbane council coat of arms had a griffin on it -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...czecin_COA.svg/454px-POL_Szczecin_COA.svg.png

http://cloud.graphicleftovers.com/19349/299528/m-224c.jpg

And Griffins are Kings of both beasts and birds in heraldry, hence why they usually have crowns.

Edit: although there's the Sydney Kings, to be honest Queensland Kings is moreso in the vein of Newcastle Knights or St George Illawarra Dragons.

I said there is a red deer on the Qld coat of arms and suggested Brisbane Bucks. But that didn't seem to be popular. But I'm pretty sure it's a shit load better than Bombers. They will never get in with that name.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I said there is a red deer on the Qld coat of arms and suggested Brisbane Bucks. But that didn't seem to be popular. But I'm pretty sure it's a shit load better than Bombers. They will never get in with that name.

I'm pretty sure the clubs nickname will be low down the assessment criteria for a new team!

Of more concern is that they are asking for fans to volunteer to run their social networking media!

Joker's Wild

Coach
The club name is directly linked to their marketability.

I would think that would make it very important to the NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
it shows alot, but then it is probably too deep for you!

The sports world is full of cr4p names, I don;t know of any club that has gone bust due to their nickname!