What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

BuffaloRules

Coach
Rather than go through the TV debate for the umpeenth time, lets discuss the fact that with a second Brisbane side in the comp, it would mean that you could have a game in Brisbane every week..

How good would this be?

Adam - are you aware that over the Easter/Anzac Day break, there is no game being played in Brisbane?...

Whats your thoughts on this?

clarency

Juniors
I have written a big speech about this earlier so I'll sum it up quickly and I'll hope others elaborate:

- A 2nd Bris side allows a game every week at suncorp, providing Brisbanites a weekly dose of rugby league. While there are many passionate league supporters of every club, I am willing to bet that there are many mild Broncos fans that will also support Bris2 (sorta like QLD v NSW) and we will therefore see much higher crowds for Bris2 than any other potential team.

- (minor point) It provides out of town supporters a second game to watch. eg - Dragons fans can now see their team play twice (against Broncos and Bris2) as opposed to once (Broncos), assuming they don't want to travel to Gold Coast.

- The bigger one, finals tv ratings. If one's team does not make it they usually go for another team from the same state. QLD only has 3 teams. Cowboys don't often make it to the finals... titans sometimes do sometimes don't... meaning that the entire state viewing hinges on the Broncos. If we don't get a QLD team playing in the finals we will see a massive drop in ratings. Don't you find it a strange coincidence that the NRL final began out-rating AFL when it was Melbourne (Vic) vs Broncos (QLD). NSW will always support the game but for the sake of keeping viewers stuck to the TV... it's more beneficial having a variety of states in the finals to cover as large an area as possible.

I don't buy the "If CCB don't make it 1.1mil will turn away from RL". Honestly that's one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time.

Last edited:

Spitty

Juniors
Can someone explain how another team in SE QLD will bring a significantly larger increase in TV viewers over the CC Bears? Sorry if this has already been answered but I can't be arsed looking through 100 pages of trolling. And sorry if this seems like trolling, it's actually something I'm interested in debating.

Another QLD side gives the broadcaster another choice for the Friday night QLD live game. But does more choice = more viewers?

Any 2 new sides are going to result in an extra game.
A new QLD side will obviously rate better than the Bears in QLD.
But overall, will Brisbane2 v some random club rate better than Bears v whoever?
Given there are more NSW clubs and state biases taken into account, it seems plausible that in the overall ratings Bears could rate higher.

I don't have the actual research in front of me, or the link to the article I read mid last season. But apparently Channel 9 have found that ratings in Qld for games involving Qld teams are very high, while ratings involving non-Qld teams are very low. Whereas in NSW the ratings for NSW teams are very high, but when non-NSW teams the ratings are still pretty high.

So in a nut shell, the theory is that NSW and Qld fans will watch Brisbane2. While NSW fans and only a few Qld will watch Norths.

Not my research, not my idea, just something I read. I'll try and find a link.

Talons

Juniors
I find it laughable that you continuously miss the point. I had a go because the bloke called an entire region "d1ckheads". It has nothing to do with Brisbane or the Bears bid.

North Shore:
Upper North Shore

The "Upper North Shore" usually refers to the suburbs north of Chatswood, east of the Lane cove river and south of the uppermost border of the Ku-ring-gai council area. It is made up of the handful of suburbs encompassing the Ku-ring-gai council. The area is known for its clean leafy streets, stately homes and high property prices. Ku-ring-gai was rated as having the number 1 quality of life in Australia (there are 590 Australian Local Government Areas) in the BankWest Quality of Life Index 2008.
Lower North Shore

The Lower North Shore encompasses all of the North Shore's northern shore of Sydney Harbour stretching from the Lane cove River in the west to Middle Head (Mosman) in the east and includes Mosman, Kirribilli and Longueville.

The Lower North Shore usually refers to the suburbs adjacent to the harbour such as Neutral Bay, Waverton, Mosman, Cremorne, Lavender Bay, Milsons Point, Cammeray and North Sydney. The Lower North Shore has an eastern boundary adjacent to Middle Harbour, or at the Roseville Bridge at Castle Cove and Roseville Chase. The term Lower North Shore can include the local government areas of Municipality of Mosman, City of Willoughby, Municipality of Lane Cove and North Sydney Council.

All North Sydney Bears areas to me.

--

Northern Beaches:

Manly

Warringah

Pittwater

All Manly-Warringah Sea-Eagles areas to me.

Perhaps you should've done some research yourself?

Have a cry mate. Everything I've claimed I've backed up and GEOGRAPHICALLY the cc isn't part of Sydney, however on a corporate level and on an existing fan base level we are entitled to claim northern beaches because a) we already have sponsors from here and b) we have fans and members from here too.
Had the bears not been involved with this cc bid then ofcourse we wouldn't count ns but due to the little fact it's a foundation team, with multiple generational fans we can. The powers to be acknowldge this. However seqld covers goldcoast, Ipswich, redcliffe, toowoomba and Brisbane. 2 which have teams and another 1 with a bid which incorporates another (ippy/toow) and redcliffe which will eventually bid.

Every bid has different circumstances. Best to get your knowledge up and recognize these differences in circumstances before talking.

I realise this is a Brisbane2 thread, and I fully support their bid and wholeheartly think Brissie2 bring more to the table than the CC bid.
I just got a little peeved when RBB claimed that "we are entitled to claim northern beaches". I happened to grow up in that region and the Northern beaches aren't the North shore.

docbrown

Coach
Can someone explain how another team in SE QLD will bring a significantly larger increase in TV viewers over the CC Bears? Sorry if this has already been answered but I can't be arsed looking through 100 pages of trolling. And sorry if this seems like trolling, it's actually something I'm interested in debating.

I made quite a few posts about it on the Ipswich Jets thread. I'd search for it and post it here but the webpage is mucking around on my computer at the moment.

adamkungl

Immortal
Rather than go through the TV debate for the umpeenth time, lets discuss the fact that with a second Brisbane side in the comp, it would mean that you could have a game in Brisbane every week..

How good would this be?

Adam - are you aware that over the Easter/Anzac Day break, there is no game being played in Brisbane?...

Whats your thoughts on this?

You could have a game in Brisbane every weekend, but I bet due to complications of the draw you don't. Some weeks there will be none, some weeks there will be 2. Case in point: There are FOUR teams in Western Sydney. In Round 8, none of them have a home game.

That said, there should be more games in Brisbane, yes. Though I'm very doubtful they would pull the same support as the Broncos, I expect it will be closer to the Titans crowds, maybe slightly higher.

I don't have the actual research in front of me, or the link to the article I read mid last season. But apparently Channel 9 have found that ratings in Qld for games involving Qld teams are very high, while ratings involving non-Qld teams are very low. Whereas in NSW the ratings for NSW teams are very high, but when non-NSW teams the ratings are still pretty high.

So in a nut shell, the theory is that NSW and Qld fans will watch Brisbane2. While NSW fans and only a few Qld will watch Norths.

Not my research, not my idea, just something I read. I'll try and find a link.

Maybe QLDers should support RL better :sarcasm:

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench

Another QLD side gives the broadcaster another choice for the Friday night QLD live game. But does more choice = more viewers?

Any 2 new sides are going to result in an extra game.
A new QLD side will obviously rate better than the Bears in QLD.
But overall, will Brisbane2 v some random club rate better than Bears v whoever?
Given there are more NSW clubs and state biases taken into account, it seems plausible that in the overall ratings Bears could rate higher.

Just ask the networks what they would prefer.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm sure the NRL will be, and I'm sure it will ultimately decide where the two expansion teams are. All 3 main bids are goers so it is likely to come down to TV value. Shame that TV continues to dictate the direction of our game but I guess you make your bed and so have to lay in it.

BDGS

Bench
I'm guessing you are saying the three major bids are WA, CC and Brissie2?

If thats the case, i fail to see how a bid that has only been around since last November is anyway near being labelled a "goer". They couldn't possibly be as far advances as the other two.

I guess perception rather then reality may get a lot of people to side with them.

bobmar28

Bench
I'm guessing you are saying the three major bids are WA, CC and Brissie2?

If thats the case, i fail to see how a bid that has only been around since last November is anyway near being labelled a "goer". They couldn't possibly be as far advances as the other two.

I guess perception rather then reality may get a lot of people to side with them.

Imo any QLD bid will not need to be as far advanced as CC and WA.

clarency

Juniors
Imo any QLD bid will not need to be as far advanced as CC and WA.

Exactly. I mean it's simply a bid. IMO all it should require is research. The actual leg work of setting up the team should come after the announcement. All this establishment of sponsors and memberships during the bid process is nothing more than a "well we've started already so just put us in" ploy.

_Johnsy

Referee
Can someone explain how another team in SE QLD will bring a significantly larger increase in TV viewers over the CC Bears?.

What a pathetic crowd for the heartland of RL in Aus. One game in SEQ over the weekend.

According to some this is the "biggest" local derby in the NRL.

Played @ Robina, a leisurely free 1hr 10min train trip from Brisbane to the door of the stadium and it could only manage 20,000.

I am not so convinced about the strength of the game in SEQ if this game can only draw 20k. What's the issue here, brisbane fans refuse to travel??
I am sure the usual lines of excuses will be trotted out, strangely enough they'll be similar to those used down south.

Arguing that a 2nd Brisbane side will automatically increase the TV numbers is flawed, just as people argue the CC bears will also increase the TV numbers.

A 2nd brisbane team is needed, even if it is only to break up Brisbane's monopoly.

clarency

Juniors
What's the issue? I'm wondering how often you come on here considering there has been countless complaints over the pricing of Robina over the last.. years or something?

Explain why the argument for increased TV numbers via Bris2 is flawed?

_Johnsy

Referee
It is simple, you cannot say any one new team will increase TV numbers in SEQ or Sydney. People who watch & follow the game in these 2 areas will already be watching. Is a 2nd Brisbane side or CC side going to bring new fans/TV viewers to RL ? No. They are already watching the game.

Pricing of tickets @ Robina is not an issue when it is the one time per year that brisbane play the Titans @ Robina. $30 a ticket for an adult is not expensive for one game a year. Are you saying that brisbane fans can't afford a $30 ticket when the broncs play @ Robina once every 12 months..............FMD!!!!