What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

applesauce

Bench
No-one from Brisbane will support an Ipswich team, unless they are from Ipswich.

Which leaves a pool too small to draw fans from when compared to the CC, Perth, Wellington.

The main reason I believe an Ipswich team won't work is because of Suncorp. It is an hour by train from Ipswich (the same as the GC). Yet when the Broncos play the Titans at Suncorp it is ~40k when the Broncos play the Titans an hour away it is ~20k (this year at least).

Considering the huge amount of Broncos fans that don't travel 1hr to the GC via train (probably 2hrs by car on a Friday), to sell out the Skilled local derby, how do we expect a smaller hub like Ipswich to travel to Brisbane EACH WEEK???

beads6

First Grade
No-one from Brisbane will support an Ipswich team, unless they are from Ipswich.

Which leaves a pool too small to draw fans from when compared to the CC, Perth, Wellington.

The main reason I believe an Ipswich team won't work is because of Suncorp. It is an hour by train from Ipswich (the same as the GC). Yet when the Broncos play the Titans at Suncorp it is ~40k when the Broncos play the Titans an hour away it is ~20k (this year at least).

Considering the huge amount of Broncos fans that don't travel 1hr to the GC via train (probably 2hrs by car on a Friday), to sell out the Skilled local derby, how do we expect a smaller hub like Ipswich to travel to Brisbane EACH WEEK???

Was more Broncos fans at Skilled than Titans fans when we played the Titans this season.

applesauce

Bench
Was more Broncos fans at Skilled than Titans fans when we played the Titans this season.

That still doesn't explain why it didn't sell out, and the Titans average 17.5k.

You would expect that if it was easy enough that the Broncos fans would turn up and sell out Skilled considering 27k is lower than the Broncos 35k average...

What happens when we expect the far smaller (in size and fanbase), Ipswich fans to get a train to Suncorp every week.

flamin

Juniors
In the long term we could have 2 Brisbane teams representing the city and an Ipswich team representing the area to Toowoomba. I think its clear to most that the Ipswich bid is based on expected population growth 15 years in the future, whereas a 2nd Brisbane team has the potential to have huge support now.

I want the South Queensland Crushers back in the comp. Why can't they be called South Queensland ? SQ and the Western Reds I want to see in the NRL in 2013.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Missed page two of that article.

As part of this focus, the bid website www.BattleForBrisbane.com.au has an opportunity for fans to design the jersey, pick the colours and give the prospective team a name.

This will be shortlisted this month with a final five names and colours announced later in the month.

An official logo, name and colour scheme will then be revealed in May
ahead of a proposed call for new team tenders from the NRL Independent Commission.

"The response to the website has been overwhelming to say the least. We've had entries from across the country and some of the names put forward for the team have been very creative. We will definitely have an interesting shortlist to pick from," bid director Bill Rae said.

AuDragon

Juniors
I call bullshit
I wasn't there this year, but the previous 3 games were about 60/40 for the Titans.
Given how they were travelling this season when we played them compared to us, I'd say the same amount of Bronco fans travelled down as usual, but since there were 7k seats empty, most of which would normally be bandwagon Titans.
So it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Broncos fans were in the majority.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I want the South Queensland Crushers back in the comp. Why can't they be called South Queensland ? SQ and the Western Reds I want to see in the NRL in 2013.

Tainted brandname + "Brisbane" is more likely to pull in higher sponsorship $$ as it will be seen as more of an equal to the Broncos and not a country brother like the Cows.

Same way you have two Chicago baseball teams instead of having one called Chicago and one called Illinois.

Highway1

Juniors
The Jets bid is publicly owned and is being run to represent the people of Ipswich in the highest league available. This bid is privately owned and is being run to create an alternative to the Broncos. The bids have very different aims.

Well if those two bids merge, the community aspect of Ipswich and the corporate aspect of the Brisbane II should be taken on board.

That still doesn't explain why it didn't sell out, and the Titans average 17.5k.

You would expect that if it was easy enough that the Broncos fans would turn up and sell out Skilled considering 27k is lower than the Broncos 35k average...

What happens when we expect the far smaller (in size and fanbase), Ipswich fans to get a train to Suncorp every week.

There are plenty of Titans fans from Brisbane, that's because they live in Brisbane doesn't mean they can't support the Titans, same thing for Ipswich. I expect the Ipswich team to have strong support from those who live within the Ipswich train line and Ipswich Rd corridors.

In regards to the 40k and 20k crowd figures you've stated, the day and the time of the day has a major factor on why the crowds are not as high as it should be, I mean a Friday night 7:30pm doesn't give much room for people who finish study or work at let say 5pm.

With the Ipswich team, I'd like to think that it is not limited to Ipswich when gathering support, but wider into Brisbane and Queensland.

Tainted brandname + "Brisbane" is more likely to pull in higher sponsorship $$ as it will be seen as more of an equal to the Broncos and not a country brother like the Cows.

Same way you have two Chicago baseball teams instead of having one called Chicago and one called Illinois.

Considering the decentralised nature of Queensland, why have another Brisbane team called Brisbane when you can name the next Brisbane team after a sizable historic city like Ipswich?

Queensland is not like Victoria where the second team in Melbourne (in any sport) is limited to calling themselves Melbourne.

Gold Coast Titans proves that you don't have to live in the local area to spoort the team.

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
There are plenty of Titans fans from Brisbane, that's because they live in Brisbane doesn't mean they can't support the Titans, same thing for Ipswich. I expect the Ipswich team to have strong support from those who live within the Ipswich train line and Ipswich Rd corridors.

In regards to the 40k and 20k crowd figures you've stated, the day and the time of the day has a major factor on why the crowds are not as high as it should be, I mean a Friday night 7:30pm doesn't give much room for people who finish study or work at let say 5pm.

With the Ipswich team, I'd like to think that it is not limited to Ipswich when gathering support, but wider into Brisbane and Queensland.

Pretty moot point, if you can't see a 3rd SEQ teams major benefit to the game then I don't want to get into an argument.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting little box in todays WA Sunday Times Reds article that had TAB sportsbet odds for expansion teams. They came in at:
1. Brisbane2
2. WA Reds
3. CC Bears
4. CQ
5. Other

Highway1

Juniors
Pretty moot point, if you can't see a 3rd SEQ teams major benefit to the game then I don't want to get into an argument.

At this stage no I don't see any benifit form a second Brisbane team. I more inclined to support the Bears and Reds bid ATM. But if a metropolitan Brisbane bid comes up, Ipswich should be the way.

applesauce

Bench
At this stage no I don't see any benifit form a second Brisbane team. I more inclined to support the Bears and Reds bid ATM. But if a metropolitan Brisbane bid comes up, Ipswich should be the way.

Mmmm....

So the Broncos get 12 od the first 17 FNF matches and you don't see the benefit to the TV deal that a 2nd BNE team brings....:lol:

Highway1

Juniors
Mmmm....

So the Broncos get 12 od the first 17 FNF matches and you don't see the benefit to the TV deal that a 2nd BNE team brings....:lol:

Not if the bids are scrambling like they are right now. CC Bear and WA reds for expansion, unless Brisbane II, Easts and Ipswich merge.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't see any need to merge, they just need to lay out their strengths and the NRL can decide which of the two on the table is strongest. They are offering quite different things from what I can see.

Quidgybo

Bench
I don't see any need to merge, they just need to lay out their strengths and the NRL can decide which of the two on the table is strongest.
There are a lot of people laboring under the impression that the "best" or "strongest" two bids will be the ones chosen. Believing that if their bid has the most sponsorship, the most members, is the most advanced, has been building the longest, or tries the hardest then they must be one of the chosen.

But the reality is that the only thing a bid has to do is be "good enough". After that, the bid is in the running as much as any other bid and the decision will come down to factors outside the bid's control. Primarily it comes down to what television wants and is willing to pay for and what the Commission wants strategically for the game's growth.

The chosen bids may not be the "best" or "strongest" or even the second best. But they will have satisfied the Commission that they can get a competitive team on the field and they won't fall over through mismanagement or lack of support. That's all the bids need to show. Everything else they do is window dressing.

Leigh.

flippikat

Bench
There are a lot of people laboring under the impression that the "best" or "strongest" two bids will be the ones chosen. Believing that if their bid has the most sponsorship, the most members, is the most advanced, has been building the longest, or tries the hardest then they must be one of the chosen.

But the reality is that the only thing a bid has to do is be "good enough". After that, the bid is in the running as much as any other bid and the decision will come down to factors outside the bid's control. Primarily it comes down to what television wants and is willing to pay for and what the Commission wants strategically for the game's growth.

The chosen bids may not be the "best" or "strongest" or even the second best. But they will have satisfied the Commission that they can get a competitive team on the field and they won't fall over through mismanagement or lack of support. That's all the bids need to show. Everything else they do is window dressing.

Leigh.

That's it in a nutshell. So long as a bid passes minimum criteria (Stadium, management, financial backing) then the real deciding factor will be TV.

Perth and a 2nd Brisbane club are best positioned in this regard.

History often repeats itself.. The Bears were overlooked last time and the NRL went for a Queensland club - I have a feeling it may well happen again.

Latest posts