What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

God-King Dean

Immortal
Who would you dump to make room for him Deano?

I'd much rather spend big coin retaining Boyd than buying some Union git.

Of course it'd have to be in context. I'm just loling at people taking a moral high ground at what he did saying that wouldn't want someone like him at their club. How quickly their tune would change if he was linked to their club.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...or-nrl-inclusion/story-e6frexnr-1226042134183

Billy Moore betrays his North Sydney Bears heritage by joining second Brisbane bid for NRL inclusion

Steve Gee
April 20, 2011 12:10PM

HE bled red and black in 211 games for North Sydney, but "Queenslander'' Billy Moore has turned his back on the Bears to become the face of the Brisbane's bid for a second NRL team for 2013.

Moore was today unveiled as the ambassador for the Brisbane NRL Expansion team in move that pits him against former teammates Greg Florimo and David Fairleigh, who are behind the Bears' push for admission on the Central Coast.

Moore says it's vital Brisbane has another NRL side to shore up the code in Queensland.

But the former Norths lock, famous for his "Queenslander'' rally call in the 2005 Origin series, insists he still hopes the Bears make the cut.

"Of course I have a strong history with the Bears and I will always support them,'' he said.

"The Bears are in the race for a position along with Perth, and like the Brisbane bid, Central Coast should be admitted as it is time for Rugby League to shore up its heartland regions and reward all the great supporters within those areas.''

Moore currently lives on the Sunshine Coast, which will open up an opportunity for the prospective team to engage the 300,000-plus population and its strong junior playing base as a pool of talent for the long-term success of the club.

"A long-term involvement with this team will allow me to follow my passion for rugby league in a hands-on environment in my own back yard, which is something I am really keen to pursue,'' he said.

"I've worked for the QRL on the Sunshine Coast and understand the market up here.

"I currently work in the corporate hospitality industry and can open up some doors in the South-East corridor for the expansion bid to utilise.''

Moore says there's no debate Brisbane has another NRL team.

"I'm a Queenslander through and through and the direction of the bid and the long-term plans they have shown me have enticed me to get on board,'' he said.

"I believe Brisbane is a given for an expanded competition in 2013 as it is the home of rugby league and to have two teams in a league-centric city will further strengthen the game in the state.''

El Diablo said:
But the former Norths lock, famous for his "Queenslander'' rally call in the 2005 Origin series, insists he still hopes the Bears make the cut.

"Of course I have a strong history with the Bears and I will always support them,'' he said.

"The Bears are in the race for a position along with Perth, and like the Brisbane bid, Central Coast should be admitted as it is time for Rugby League to shore up its heartland regions and reward all the great supporters within those areas.''
'

This is no different to Gary Larson being part of the Central Queensland bid or Matt Orford being an ambassador for the Central Coast Bears bid. Billy even goes as far as saying the Bears should be brought in.. with another QLD team and a Perth team.

But im sure people won't read the whole thing properly and will try to start fires.

clarency

Juniors
I don't see his position as unbelievable at all. It's my opinion as well actually.

All 3 teams should get a spot in the NRL. However I think (as he does?) that Bris2 is the closer to the front of the line than CCB's are.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Not surprising, he is being paid by Brisbane2 and has a long history with the Bears. He is hardly going to choose Perth over either is he?

I think you’d be surprised how many casual footy fans in SEQ think that the Perth bid is no hope/a mistake, if they’ve even heard of it…

clarency

Juniors
So would I. He's the second person I've ever seen go against the Perth bid.

Those in favour completely overwhelm those against.

bobmar28

Bench
I think you’d be surprised how many casual footy fans in SEQ think that the Perth bid is no hope/a mistake, if they’ve even heard of it…

I think footy fans in SEQ would find it hard to believe that they won't be next for an NRL franchise. So would I. And Perth is a shoe in imo.

_Johnsy

Referee

Well we should really sit up and take notice of what a few casual footy fans in SEQ think.

Another one of your comprehensive surveys no doubt.

BDGS

Bench
Johnsy makes a good point.

What would casual fans know?

Listen to diehard fans and members, not the casual fan that probably doesn't know what the table looks like or who their team is playing next week.

clarency

Juniors
Johnsy makes a good point.

What would casual fans know?

Listen to diehard fans and members, not the casual fan that probably doesn't know what the table looks like or who their team is playing next week.

I wouldn't advise this either. The diehards are more bias than anyone else.

Highway1

Juniors
Just my 2 cents.

The Brisbane II bid should just merge with the Ipswich bid and become a super franchise representing the southern metropolitan Brisbane, Lockyer Valley and Darling Downs area (excluding Logan).

Home games at Suncorp and training base to be at the North Ipswich reserve. Team should be called Ipswich Hornets after the hornet jets at Amberley RAAF base.

IMO an Ipswich team has more chance of surviving than a Brisbane II bid because there's no point having an another Brisbane if there's no difference against the Broncos as seen with the Crushers.

Like what Perth Red said, a Broncos v Ipswich rivalry will be similar to the Eagles v Fremantle in terms of how Ipswich like Fremantle represents the city itself along with surrounding areas and Broncos like Eagles representing a portion of the city and surrounding areas.

Hope it makes sense.

bobmar28

Bench
Just my 2 cents.

The Brisbane II bid should just merge with the Ipswich bid and become a super franchise representing the southern metropolitan Brisbane, Lockyer Valley and Darling Downs area (excluding Logan).

Home games at Suncorp and training base to be at the North Ipswich reserve. Team should be called Ipswich Hornets after the hornet jets at Amberley RAAF base.

IMO an Ipswich team has more chance of surviving than a Brisbane II bid because there's no point having an another Brisbane if there's no difference against the Broncos as seen with the Crushers.

Like what Perth Red said, a Broncos v Ipswich rivalry will be similar to the Eagles v Fremantle in terms of how Ipswich like Fremantle represents the city itself along with surrounding areas and Broncos like Eagles representing a portion of the city and surrounding areas.

Hope it makes sense.

The ideal situation which I've posted before. Having 2 Brisbanes doesn't work.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The Jets bid is publicly owned and is being run to represent the people of Ipswich in the highest league available. This bid is privately owned and is being run to create an alternative to the Broncos. The bids have very different aims.

Latest posts