What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
There are a lot of people laboring under the impression that the "best" or "strongest" two bids will be the ones chosen. Believing that if their bid has the most sponsorship, the most members, is the most advanced, has been building the longest, or tries the hardest then they must be one of the chosen.

But the reality is that the only thing a bid has to do is be "good enough". After that, the bid is in the running as much as any other bid and the decision will come down to factors outside the bid's control. Primarily it comes down to what television wants and is willing to pay for and what the Commission wants strategically for the game's growth.

The chosen bids may not be the "best" or "strongest" or even the second best. But they will have satisfied the Commission that they can get a competitive team on the field and they won't fall over through mismanagement or lack of support. That's all the bids need to show. Everything else they do is window dressing.

Leigh.

You're far too sensible for this forum Quidgybo. Spot on, The NRL will expand to areas that will increase it's exposure and financial well being, not the bid areas who have worked the longest or hardest. The NRL has to look after itself and the interests of the existing clubs and so expanding to areas which provide the best monetary gain is their priority, not sentiment. Ruthless but correct.

Hahaha I am a lil drunk, but wasn't that the CC Bears fans major argument? "Look at the bookies bro"...

I thought it was the 6621 financial members or the $15mil equity or the government backed Sports Center or the 50+ local business sponsors or the 6 major sponsors. Take your pick.

The NRL has to look after itself and the interests of the existing clubs and so expanding to areas which provide the best monetary gain is their priority, not sentiment. Ruthless but correct.

The NRL is a business. It would be smart to have 2 bids which won't require too much assistance, so we don't have a Melbourne Mark 2 situation where the new clubs would need propping up every so often. The impact of a new Brisbane side on the Titans will be greater than that of a CC side on the Sea Eagles. If Perth are too come in, the other new franchise must be able to stand on it's own 2 feet. Otherwise the costs in keeping these new franchises afloat over a period of time won't be worth having them in, in the first place. You can't lose with the CC, they have everything in place and its there for everyone to see.

Brisbane 2 have done nothing substantial since they launched their bid. Either they believe they can run a club off air and water or they are gonna fall very short of the required warchest/equity.

Are people on this board who support the Brisbane 2 bid willing to invest in the team? Willing to volunteer for them, if so required? Willing to buy memberships/merchandise on top of your existing memberships/merchandise from your supported teams?

Last edited:
Nah, I thought it was the 6621 financial members or the $15mil equity or the government backed Sports Center or the 50+ local business sponsors or the 6 major sponsors. Take your pick.

it may not have been one of your major arguments....but you and the other north sydney bears supporters were using this as part of your argument for the central coast bears.......dazzle them with bullshit and hope the swallow it,ay :lol::lol::lol:

it may not have been one of your major arguments....but you and the other north sydney bears supporters were using this as part of your argument for the central coast bears.......dazzle them with bullshit and hope the swallow it,ay :lol::lol::lol:

I've never touted the bookies remark on here, matter of fact I have never mentioned it period. You're talking to the wrong person about this.

Memberships, equity, sponsors, projects, initiatives, community events are the things I stick to mentioning. Things that the Central Coast Bears can control. Things that involve abit of hardwork and effort.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.qt.com.au/story/2011/04/25/nrl-bid-ready-strategic-plan-western-corridor/

NRL bid ready with strategic plan

By Joel Gould | 25th April 2011

THE WESTERN Corridor NRL bid has gone into overdrive with a draft strategic plan set to be presented to NRL boss David Gallop.

Western Corridor bid consultant Brian Canavan said the bid had now been costed "from go to whoa".

"We are now at the stage where we have something concrete to take to our potential corporate and government partners," Canavan said.

"The strategic plan has hanging off it a business plan which is a full set of financials. Those financials have been done for each of the phases of the bid - the preparation phase, setup phase and actual commencement phase.

"That budget is extensive – many pages long. The whole document now is in draft form. It is a working document and the working team has seen it and been through it.

"It has been extremely thoroughly done with great co-operation from people in the whole Western Corridor area. Now if we enter into any business arrangement with any entity we then have something concrete to give them."

Canavan has kept NRL boss David Gallop "in the loop" on the bid and said he had already provided some direction.

"He provides direction as to what needs to be in the submission - without giving anything away, obviously," he said.

"We’ll present the draft document to David and ask him for feedback on the content and presentation. In other words – keep him in the loop and get some feedback so we can shape the document.

"We also have to shape his thinking and show him that this is not just an opportunity but that it is a need. Rugby league needs an NRL team in the Western Corridor."

The QT understands that the annual running cost of an NRL club is around $17 million, with between $7m and $9m for the football department alone.

Western Corridor bid chairman Steve Johnson said access to established NRL clubs’ books had also proved helpful in projecting realistic costings.

"We didn’t want to move forward into the marketplace until we had the full costing for it," Johnson said.

"We have now done that and we know exactly what each stage will cost.''

That is the Ipswich Jets bid, or Western Corridor by other name. Should post it in their thread too. There is also another Ipswich bid in the form of Brothers Ipswich, however they will have a vastly different business plan to that of Jets/Western Corridor and Brisbane 2's model.

applesauce

Bench
Is the Western Corridor logo available anywhere? Saw it in RLW but can't find it on line.

This is the new Jets logo in QLD cup, don't know if it is the same. If it is not can you take a photo and upload the bid you saw. :)

180848_498342102005_535852005_6069476_4222083_s.jpg

sheepbender

Juniors
Had a crack at making some jerseys for the bid cos Ive plenty of time on my hands atm... And yes i know the website has a jersey maker, but its a bit average really..
brisbane_2nd_nrl_bid_jerseys_2_by_sheepbender-d3fe5oz.png

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
Some pretty good designs, if they get in i think they should look at colours that aren't apart of the Broncos. The jerseys above look great but the one criticism i have is that the maroon jerseys look like a merger between the Brisbane Broncos and the Brisbane NRL bid.

sheepbender

Juniors
Ive maintained the maroon for 2 reasons, 1. Its in the bid logo and 2. Maroon is synonymous with Brisbane and QLD... But I know what you mean, thats why there are only 2 predominantly Maroon jerseys of the 9..

Goddo

Bench
I like yellow and black as club colours, but I guess that is best suited to a Wellington side.

The NRL can use more Red and Green teams (not both obviously) - one thing we don't need is more blue.

Reds and Bears are both Red/Black (and Yellow)
Could use a Yellow/Black side and more green - Green/Black and Green/White

sheepbender

Juniors
I like yellow and black as club colours, but I guess that is best suited to a Wellington side.

The NRL can use more Red and Green teams (not both obviously) - one thing we don't need is more blue.

Reds and Bears are both Red/Black (and Yellow)
Could use a Yellow/Black side and more green - Green/Black and Green/White

Every year I hope the Warriors put green back into their colours, it frustrates me, cos they have the most boring strip in the comp.. But yea green is fairly underused, I quite like the new MLS (american soccer) Portland Timbers colour combination if you googled it..

BDGS

Bench
Ive maintained the maroon for 2 reasons, 1. Its in the bid logo and 2. Maroon is synonymous with Brisbane and QLD... But I know what you mean, thats why there are only 2 predominantly Maroon jerseys of the 9..

I like row 2, Jersey 1 and row 3, Jersey 5.

DecoyRunner

Juniors
Can't be bothered to read 100+ pages to see if anyone else asked this:

Does this new team bid have something to do with Cullen and Somerville trying to wean the Broncos off of the Thoroughbreds teat?

I believe it's a former prominent member of the 'breds heading up this bid. Is this because he/they wanted more influence on the team, and were actually pushed away by Bruno?

Also, if this is the case, does this have anything to do with the tension between Bennett and Cullen?

docbrown

Coach
I believe that they're making an announcement on the 9th of May with a shortlist of jerseys and nicknames for the public to vote on.

Latest posts