What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Brisbane Floods

x2

Home Game 2016:

Brisbane Floods 50 Souths 2 in the 74th minute...

Rabs "and the Brinsbane Floods have gone dam busters this evening..."

Sterlo "Yeah its like 2010 out there, the Floods are all over everything tonight"

Sideline Commentator "at 2-0 down I thought the Floods were in trouble but the tide turned"

Gus "no no no I am not returning to coach origin but if anyone can stop this decade of dominance its Wayne Bennet"

docbrown

Coach
I knew this was coming up but honestly they say they had 98 name variations yet this is the cream of crop? If 8000 sent submissions - honestly - how many do you think would have submitted Bayliners and Bobcats...? A few of those names are clearly plants by the bid managers just to get their BB combo regardless of how many people submitted them.

Dolphins, Diehards, Rangers, Brothers and Kings seemed to be the most discussed online yet only one of those made the cut.

As for the ones listed I am going to assign them into three catagories. 'Chet' from Weird Science after he was turned into a giant turd, 'Maybe' and 'If I Had To Pick From That List'.

Chet:
Bayliners, Bobcats - little impact, hard to visualise and anthropomorphise
Bombers - doesn't really mean much to Brisbane does it?
Braves, Heat - I put that in the same category as 'Glory' and 'Fury'
Buccaneers - pirate teams always end up looking tacky, just my opinion
Cyclones - would always be compared to the Storm
Spartans - would always be compared to the Titans
Rogues - it's a football team, not a comic book

Maybe:
Barracudas - but not great, would get comparisons with the sharks
Stingrays - passable, just seems recycled though
Kookaburras - not that great, seems like it's a bit soft for League
Taipans - passable

If I Had To Pick From The List:
Brewers - could work, but do you want the team to be associated with that
Dolphins - the pick of the bunch

Based on the ones I've seen people suggest my shortlist would be:

South Queensland Dolphins
Brisbane Diehards
Brisbane Brewers
Brisbane Battlers
Brisbane Rangers (bush)
Brisbane Brothers
Queensland Kings

Bro Bear

Juniors
What names - no thanks. Diehards, Brothers or Celtic would of been better. Not one name suitable but Redcliffe's Dolphins.

beave

Coach
Brisbane 'Burras, Brewers or Buccaneers for mine...... I'm mad Tampa Bay Bucs fan in the NFL so I'm a bit biased but I think it would be the best one ;-)

Dolphins aint gonna happen, there's already Taipans (sounds too close to titans anyways) Bombers and heat (cricket team), Cyclones are an NQ phenomena and the rest are shithouse. Those above 3 should be the short listed. They could do a lot with either of those 3, brewers is an obvious convenience name with the brewery next door but XXXX would have to sponsor them to make it work.

beave

Coach
well there's plenty of them in the river................ could be a goer if the Sharks moved to Brissy to keep the jersey alive but I doubt it would ever happen.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Well Cronulla may not be around by then, plus it is a different name. The Bullsharks could be nicknamed the "bulls" by fans... It could work.

Get Tallis as the coach "The raging bullshark"

I think its got potential.

danmiles73

Juniors
1998 was the last time that area was affected

Cyclone Hamish affected South East Queensland in 2008. You may (or may not) remember that the MV Pacific Adventurer was damaged in it, causing an oil spill, leading to Moreton Island, Bribie Island and some of the Sunshine Coast being declared a disaster area.

On topic, my vote would be for Brisbane (not River City) Kookaburras or Brisbane Brewers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Out of interest what is a Diehard (no Bruce willis pics please) or a Bayliner? Broothers is a religious link so never going to happen.

Just thought about Spartans and realised their colours were red and gold which I want for the WA Reds so I will go with Dolphins and a partnership with Redcliffe as my fave.

Kookaburras are our famous gold medal winning hockey team, shouldnl't be uisng an national teams name imo.

Shame Bulls is taken as that would be the obvious choice.

beave

Coach
I asked what a 'Diehard' was previously and I got smashed with pics of Bruce Willis in retort....................

hutch

First Grade
All those names are terrible. Brisbane jets or Brisbane dolphins would be my two choices. Even if they changed it to Brisbane city or west/north Brisbane etc. Sth qld is horrible!

samsonite

Juniors
playing devils advocate here but unfortunately as has happended in the past beer + stoopid nrl player = shame. the brewers monicker with its beer connotation (assuming that it is) could be an easy headline for a mischievious media

Brisbane - Barracudas Brisbane - Bayliners
Brisbane - Bobcats (Charlotte-NBA)

Brisbane - Bombers (Essendon-VFL)

Brisbane - Braves (Atlanta-MLB)

Brisbane - Brewers (Milwalkee-MLB)

Brisbane - Buccaneers (Tampa-NFL)

Brisbane - Heat (Miami-NBA, Perth-ABL)

Eastern - Stingrays

Rivercity - Kookaburras

South QLD - Cyclones

South QLD - Dolphins (Not sure, but wasn't it rejected for the GC because it existed already?)

South QLD - Rogues

South QLD - Spartans

South QLD - Taipans (Cairns-NBL)

A very American list, lots of these already exist in American sports (and one in AFL)