What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane3 - What is needed to make it a successful bid?

Vlad59

Bench
Bernie Gurr has some very interesting things to say about expansion but particularly about the western Corridor on the everything rugby league podcast at about thirty minutes onwards. Supports a team there and has pretty good strong reasons for doing so.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
I gotta feeling they will go with Brisbane 3 as 20th team … less risk attached to that decision after taking on plenty of risk with PNG as Team 19…

it’s an opportunity lost though with NZ2 if they go down that path… but you can’t make everyone happy…

blue bags

First Grade
I gotta feeling they will go with Brisbane 3 as 20th team … less risk attached to that decision after taking on plenty of risk with PNG as Team 19…

it’s an opportunity lost though with NZ2 if they go down that path… but you can’t make everyone happy…
I heard news corp not happy with 3rd Brisbane
Club. Maybe window open for NZ2

flippikat

Bench
I'm wondering if its because Ipswich/western corridor and Logan are a heartland of sorts for the Broncos at least in terms of fanbase. If another team was stationed there it would massivley eat into the Broncs fanbase right? I live in Springfield and see Broncos merch everywhere
Yeah, that's where the conflict-of-interest of having a powerful media company owning an NRL team - especially one of just two in our 2nd City - comes in.

And that's before factoring in New's half ownership of the game until reasonably recently.

blue bags

First Grade
Yeah, that's where the conflict-of-interest of having a powerful media company owning an NRL team - especially one of just two in our 2nd City - comes in.

And that's before factoring in New's half ownership of the game until reasonably recently.
That's exactly right

Alexgan

Juniors
That's exactly right

So Western Corridor team unlikely to happen by the looks of it. SEQ Representation would probably be this?

- Broncos = Brisbane Central/Ipswich-Logan/Redlands (around 2 million pop depending how deep the Phins penetrate in to North Brisbane)

- Dolphins = Moreton Bay (MBRC), northern Brisbane and Sunshine Coast (1 million + pop)

- Titans = Gold Coast, Southern tip of Logan(Beenleigh) and Tweed (around 1 million pop)

Still a massive reduction to the dominance of the Broncos over the fanbase in SEQ compared with 10-15 years ago their share would have dropped massively. I could see them kicking up a massive stink over a Western corridor team…even though I want it to happen. I guess a South Island NZ team might not be a bad choice anyway.