What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos R19 in Brisbane.

since77

Juniors
Swapping text messages with my son 10 minutes into the second half I said its about time the ref starts to give all the momentum to the Broncos. And surprise, surprise, look what happened. Six agains everywhere, that terrible call on the sideline tackle which in my opinion invited the Broncos right back into the game.....

Only the Dragons can nearly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

So not only is Billy Walters a bog average player but he is a class A grub. The stuff with Sloan was completely unnecessary. Walters now joins my Ronaldo Mulitalo Complete Dickhead club.
Great first half, referee assisted second half. Still a very mentally weak side when things go against them.

CT did well - had to do a heck of a lot of work for each of his tries.
Halves looked just as good as they did against Penrith. A lot less cap space taken up too.......
S'ua for captain.
Sele rusty but added some much need go forward.
Sloan - geez. I can see the upside in the kid but he had a shocker in the second half. (thought he was very solid in the first half). Hope he's not reading social media today. Criticism is fine but the vitriol and hatred from pathetic keyboard warriors is vile. Interesting 12 months coming up for him and for coach Flanno. Can he fix Sloan's weaknesses? At what point do we say the weaknesses aren't going to go away? Would have loved to have heard that after-game talk he was having with Flanno - Flanno wasn't smiling......

Anyway a win is a win and against the GF choker Broncos its even better. And they keep themselves in contention for an unlikely finals tilt. Still thinking we're going to fall short but at least their destiny is in their own hands.

p.s. was thoroughly enjoyable knowing that Lawrie wasn't going to lumber on to the field at any stage of the game. Surplus to requirements.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Swapping text messages with my son 10 minutes into the second half I said its about time the ref starts to give all the momentum to the Broncos. And surprise, surprise, look what happened. Six agains everywhere, that terrible call on the sideline tackle which in my opinion invited the Broncos right back into the game.....

Only the Dragons can nearly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

So not only is Billy Walters a bog average player but he is a class A grub. The stuff with Sloan was completely unnecessary. Walters now joins my Ronaldo Mulitalo Complete Dickhead club.
Great first half, referee assisted second half. Still a very mentally weak side when things go against them.

CT did well - had to do a heck of a lot of work for each of his tries.
Halves looked just as good as they did against Penrith. A lot less cap space taken up too.......
S'ua for captain.
Sele rusty but added some much need go forward.
Sloan - geez. I can see the upside in the kid but he had a shocker in the second half. (thought he was very solid in the first half). Hope he's not reading social media today. Criticism is fine but the vitriol and hatred from pathetic keyboard warriors is vile. Interesting 12 months coming up for him and for coach Flanno. Can he fix Sloan's weaknesses? At what point do we say the weaknesses aren't going to go away? Would have loved to have heard that after-game talk he was having with Flanno - Flanno wasn't smiling......

Anyway a win is a win and against the GF choker Broncos its even better. And they keep themselves in contention for an unlikely finals tilt. Still thinking we're going to fall short but at least their destiny is in their own hands.

p.s. was thoroughly enjoyable knowing that Lawrie wasn't going to lumber on to the field at any stage of the game. Surplus to requirements.
Great post mate

Victoire

Juniors
Love getting that W! We were clearly the better team and deserved the win. Played awesome that first 50 mins, and if we weren't cruelled by the non-penalty for the late hit on Piakura, and the joke incorrect penalty for taking Oates over the sideline legally we might easily have put 50 on them. We struggle to cope with momentum shifts but thankfully did enough in the first part of the game to hold on.

Nice to go into our last bye with more wins than losses, though. I don't see us winning the next 2 but I'm still predicting an undefeated run after that haha

Jekyll and Hyde on display last nite with an enthralling first 40 and an equally mediocre second, helped by some dubious calls it must be said. Suddenly the earlier confidence, intent and thrust went walkabout while our middle and online defense that had been almost brick wall fell apart from the horses overwhelming possession. Just as well we had built a good buffer by oranges. Newly extended JDB was massive while the much maligned, (mostly unfairly) Kyle Flanagan relished the prime play maker role by having his best game since the trials. He also made a good fist as stand in skipper.

Last edited:
Sloane's performance in defence was very ordinary.
Jesus the kid did his best during the horses barnstorming last 30. Blame the shoddy middles with three making a piddling 38 tackles between them, one Murdoch-Masila made a staggering 4. Sloan is still a work in progress in the multi faceted full back role. His intent has increased two fold, note his kick returns and taking of the bomb, has taken some hi pressure screamers last two weeks. His defensive attitude has improved too, needs work still on his technique. Surely between Deano and JDB that can be sorted. Like him to bulk out some to give him more confidence against a bigger one on one opponent.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Here is my take from last night
1. Did not watch the first half out to dinner but check the scores twice and when I saw 28-6 after 5 in the 2nd half I said to the Mrs lets wrap this up and watch the rest in the pub :)
2. Got to the pub outside and saw the screen through the window with Broncs celebrating (Mam's try).. I thought here we go..here comes the come back
3. By the time I sat down with a beer was when we had that penalty against for throwing the guy over the touch line somehow it was deemed illegal. I thought we challenged it?, (could not hear)..why was it not overruled?
4. I thought here comes the rort about it making it contest for the home fans or TV audiences with the big forced 2nd half momentum swings completed by refs / bunker (under instructions? from who- surely not). Happens nearly every game of significance to the table with the big energy boost suddenly happens for the chasers. They also stop the clock longer or at potentially every opportunity to seemingly allow plenty of time for chasers with momentum to turn the game.
5. Anyway No 4 above is probably bias and frustration from me but when Mozer scored 7 mins to go I said we are out of here..cant watch it because I will blow a gasket. I will look up result when I get home....
the Mrs just laughed and said..why do the refs do this. I have convinced her it is a rort and not our bad play :)
6. We won in the end..thank you and over the moon

since77

Juniors
3. By the time I sat down with a beer was when we had that penalty against for throwing the guy over the touch line somehow it was deemed illegal. I thought we challenged it?, (could not hear)..why was it not overruled?
The rule in that case is ridiculous. Kyle was told by the ref that the only thing he could challenge was if the player went out. He couldn't challenge the actual decision of the ref that he called held. Ludicrous. So in other words it was a challenge he couldn't win. Replays showed clearly momentum never stopped but it was irrelevant because the ref called held while a player was still in motion - and to be fair the commentators called bullsh!t too.. Utterly idiotic. Game changing decision.

The amount of pressure the Broncs placed on Sloan in last night's game was EPIC. Even Ginnane commented on it during the game. Even when he was supporting a break, the Broncs defenders made sure he couldn't get to a good position to support line breaks. It was so obvious, the intense scrutiny Sloan had on him. It is amazing he played an okayish game.
They know how dangerous the kid is if given space. Probably not the only team doing it either as his magical line breaking has been kept to a minimum for much of this season, replaced by him injecting himself more and making the extra man. Has put in wingers for at least three recent tries by cleverly drawing his man.

Revesby boy

Juniors
I’ll say it, f**king cheating officials, we did challenge the over the sideline with the Rorters saying “ you can only challenge if he went into touch “ which he did and we still lost the penalty, I watched the 2nd half with my partner who knows Nothing about NRL and even she said that the Referee seems to have it in for us, welcome to the
National
Rorting
League……NRL.

BLM01

First Grade
In that case, wasn't the challenge successful as the player went out so we actually won the challenge so at minimum we should have still had our challenge for later in the game?
Yes?. Did we still have a challenge?. I would of thought so if it even were deemed a null and void challenge?. IDK anymore

Latest posts