What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Even if we do sign Barba or Milford, we still don't have a recognised 5/8 at the club for next year.

Both the aforementioned players are poor defenders (as I understand it).

Here's a controversial statement - I would have preferred that the club held on to Prince for one more year, at least giving us a Brett Finch like back-up.

Milford and Barba could both play 5/8th, and if you're looking for defence then Prince is not the droid you're looking for.

Dazzat

First Grade
Milford and Barba could both play 5/8th, and if you're looking for defence then Prince is not the droid you're looking for.

True enough, Prince is a very poor defender, but the fact is that if Prince and Wallace go, then the only recognised EXPERIENCED half amongst the current squad is Ben Hunt.

The only other half in the entire squad is Cameron Cullen - two recognised halves in our entire squad for next year (as it currently stands), and between them haven't amassed double digit appearances in the half positions.

I am proposing that we have a back-up in the case of injury or loss of form.

One only needs to look at the Titans this year to see that inexperienced halves can have a reasonable season, but all of the top four teams have at least one seasoned halfback or 5/8.

Dazzat

First Grade
Happy to let go of Wallace, but I suspect that there is already a serious signing in the pipeline, otherwise why would they let go of both so early?

And regards making Barba a 5/8 (if he does come to the club) - that would be a brave call. Even the champion Darren Lockyer took a year or two to settle into the defensive tempo at 5/8.

Dazzat

First Grade
On today's Roast Andrew Johns tipped that both Ben Barba and Andrew Milford will be at the Broncos next year. Now that would be awesome, and there is good reason why both have as, yet not been announced.

With Barba, the Bulldogs are digging in after missing out on both Falou and Dugan. With Milford, he first has to enact the get-out clause before its OK for the Broncs to negotiate with him. Is this correct?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
On today's Roast Andrew Johns tipped that both Ben Barba and Andrew Milford will be at the Broncos next year. Now that would be awesome, and there is good reason why both have as, yet not been announced.

With Barba, the Bulldogs are digging in after missing out on both Falou and Dugan. With Milford, he first has to enact the get-out clause before its OK for the Broncs to negotiate with him. Is this correct?

Re Anthony Milford - Canberra still need to consent to him negotiating with anyone. Not quite sure what the point of a get-out clause is anymore if consent is required from both parties. May as well just call it the "same as any other contract" clause. Canberra have said they will certainly not release him and have sought legal advice indicating that they are well within their rights to do so. Brisbane can't even approach him until either Canberra give permission, or some date in November.

hooch is crazy

Juniors
"The 19-year-old is contracted with Canberra until the end of next year, but reports on Sunday suggested a family illness get-out clause relating to his father could allow him to play at Brisbane next year. Fairfax Media understands the clause can be activated only with the consent of both parties, and Milford has told the Raiders he wants to stay"

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/milford-staying-says-raiders-coach-20130729-2qv9r.html#ixzz2aTs44ILv

Dunno why a get-out clause would need the consent of both parties to be activated. Might as well not have one and just ask for a release if you want to go.

hooch is crazy

Juniors
Re Anthony Milford - Canberra still need to consent to him negotiating with anyone. Not quite sure what the point of a get-out clause is anymore if consent is required from both parties. May as well just call it the "same as any other contract" clause. Canberra have said they will certainly not release him and have sought legal advice indicating that they are well within their rights to do so. Brisbane can't even approach him until either Canberra give permission, or some date in November.

Ha. Great minds and all that. CM rang his mum or something cause there's an article with her basically begging Canberra to release him to come home to be with his old man. Little bit shameless if you ask me, what with News Ltd's interest in the Broncos. Using their papers to pressure another club to release a gun player, and using his brokenhearted mother to do it.

Ghoulies

Bench
Something tells me that News' actions are informed by the desire to sell papers, not the prospects of a football club.

Ghoulies

Bench
It'd be nice if we weren't associated with News so that perception wouldn't exist, but I suppose there are worse things to put up with than the odd conspiracy theory.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/sc...brisbane-broncos/story-fndv2w3r-1226690910441

With "TBA" currently listed as our 5/8 next year, I don't mind this news. And I agree that Prince has stepped up in the last two weeks.

In the story Prince mentions he is getting the ball in the attacking half now - which I read as a little swipe at Peter Wallace.

Above all, I've been impressed by Prince's attitude since being told he may not be needed next year. He's risen to the challenge, and at heart, Prince is still a champion player even though the body may not be as nimble anymore.

hooch is crazy

Juniors
It'd be nice if we weren't associated with News so that perception wouldn't exist, but I suppose there are worse things to put up with than the odd conspiracy theory.

News have been pushing the Milford story for weeks, even in the face of outright denials. Furner says no way they're letting him go and two days later, a News journalist rings his mother, who of course says she wants her boy home. Which will of course put pressure on Canberra. It definitely sells papers. It also helps in the efforts to deliver a very good player to the Broncos. I'm not saying it'll work or that they're running some elaborate scheme. It's simply a newspaper article. News Ltd want their papers AND their football clubs to be successful. They're too smart to not have their media arm to help their other interests.

Ghoulies

Bench
News have been pushing the Milford story for weeks, even in the face of outright denials. Furner says no way they're letting him go and two days later, a News journalist rings his mother, who of course says she wants her boy home. Which will of course put pressure on Canberra. It definitely sells papers. It also helps in the efforts to deliver a very good player to the Broncos. I'm not saying it'll work or that they're running some elaborate scheme. It's simply a newspaper article. News Ltd want their papers AND their football clubs to be successful. They're too smart to not have their media arm to help their other interests.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you're of the belief that the CM have either constructed this "Milford wants to go home" story out of whole cloth, or that they're pursuing the story to an extent that they would not if it did not potentially benefit the Broncos?

Last edited:

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Didn't you guys know? The courier fail is just the 'propaganda arm' of the Brisbane Broncos. Just ask any Raiders fan...

Latest posts