What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Dazzat

First Grade
I would have Hunt back in a heartbeat. We need a captain after Parker and Hodges retire and he would be my pick hands down.

Nightward

Juniors
Karmichael Hunt, if he came back, would be 28 going on 29 next year. He'd have about three, maybe four seasons left in him and would take the better part of a season to adapt back to NRL from AFL.

And would cost a small fortune.

So we'd get an ageing, expensive player who will leave in a few years, putting us back to square one.

Pretty much any choice short of cloning Martin Kennedy and paying the clone double what the original got would be a better choice than signing Hunt. If he'd come back two or three years ago he would be on the borderline of risk vs reward; he's now well and truly in the risk category and unlikely to add much.

Our problem isn't so much outside backs (well, it wouldn't be if Griffin actually selected any) but in the front row. Hala must be retained, and some succession planning needs to be done for Hodges, who is unfortunately one knee injury away from bowing out for good, in all likelihood. We can retain some promising youngsters there, too.

We're probably going to lose Hoffman at the end of the year, which is less of a loss than it should be since it will end all of Griffin's experimentation with him any way.

So really there's 3 or 4 slots we need to fill going forward.

One is taken by swapping Milford in for Hoffman.

Something needs to be done about Kennedy. He doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to start at prop and lacks impact off the bench. May be worth looking to ESL for a forward rather than getting caught in another idiotic bidding war for a plodder like Kennedy.

Right wing needs to be sorted. Maranta has shown enough promise and pace to be given a shot, with players like Kahu applying the blowtorch if he falters.

Ideally we'd have more impact off the bench. Hala could be part of the solution there. Te'o didn't want to leave and might be worth investigating.

Maybe add another prop to the rotation if anyone can be had on the cheap.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Lol jesus christ there are some fickle f**kers amongst our supporterbase when it comes to Barba. The guy is basically the centre of our universe offensively and he's already chop liver. Unbelievable.

Nightward

Juniors
Looking forward to next season already??

Jesus I miss the old days...

Unfortunately it's about all we can do at this point. At least next year we'll either have a new coach or Griffin will be forced to select someone other than Hoffman at five-eighth.

This year began well, with plenty of promise, but it's pretty clear the promise won't be delivered on now.

hellteam

First Grade
Lol jesus christ there are some fickle f**kers amongst our supporterbase when it comes to Barba. The guy is basically the centre of our universe offensively and he's already chop liver. Unbelievable.

I just don't think we need barba and Milford, they are basically the exact same player. Hopefully I'm proven wrong though

man2iel_

Juniors
The highlight of 2014 may just be the announcement that Milford is honouring his commitment to our club. This news was exactly what I needed as we head in to the State of Origin period. This kid is the most talented player under 20 in the NRL today and he may just start 2015 as our best player when all is said and done.

Kiwi

First Grade

I agree.

Griffin is the reason Barba's form has suffered, and even then he has won us games playing to a game plan that does not play to his strengths.

I can't wait for Griffin to go, the sooner he does the sooner we will start to see the real Broncos and some attacking flair. Right now Griffin is holding the team back in a big way.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member

Not really... The issue is Barba/Milford in the same team. Karmichael/Milford would be a much better fit imo (all under the assumption, of course, that Special K can return to the league player he was, which is questionable).

If Inglis became available and wanted to come to the Broncos would you still want Barba? If Gurgess wanted to come to Broncos would you still want Hannant? Sure these are all hypothetical discussions, but this is an internet forum....

Of course we all want Barba if there are no better options.

Kiwi

First Grade
Not really... The issue is Barba/Milford in the same team. Karmichael/Milford would be a much better fit imo (all under the assumption, of course, that Special K can return to the league player he was, which is questionable).

If Inglis became available and wanted to come to the Broncos would you still want Barba? If Gurgess wanted to come to Broncos would you still want Hannant? Sure these are all hypothetical discussions, but this is an internet forum....

Yes I would still want Barba if GI wanted to come to the Broncos, GI to centre problem solved, just like K Hunt to centre problem solved. G Burgess and Hannant would fit in the same side a lot easier.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Yes I would still want Barba if GI wanted to come to the Broncos, GI to centre problem solved, just like K Hunt to centre problem solved. G Burgess and Hannant would fit in the same side a lot easier.

I guess my post assumes that we have a salary cap to adhere to...

Side issue but I think GI would be wasted at centre.

Rocco

Juniors

When we signed barba, he was already damaged goods. he hasnt improved our attack and his decision making in defense is costing us vital wins.

Milford is no better than barba in defense. Griffin is not the right coach for him to improve it.

Kiwi

First Grade
When we signed barba, he was already damaged goods. he hasnt improved our attack and his decision making in defense is costing us vital wins.

Milford is no better than barba in defense. Griffin is not the right coach for him to improve it.

So must have been another player who has set up tries for us on a regular basis, and I must have been seeing things when he scored 1 and set up 2 one week. He may not be setting the world of fire compared to previous form, but he is not playing the same role, he is playing how the coach wants him to and he isn't the reason we have lost 5 games this year. Griffin is the main reason, and Hoffman at 6, which is his fault as well. Your post shows very little knowledge of the game.

You do realise Barba is 5th best in the NRL for try saving tackles?

Last edited:

DeeJ

Bench
Im sorry, but this is just a farcical opinion.

Correct, Barba has brought alot of skill to the backline when the ball would just die with Hoffman instead of throwing the last pass. Now it dies with Hoffman at second receiver though.

Just because Barba isn't making linebreaks anymore doesn't mean he's not having an effect on our attack.

Latest posts