What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Kiwi

First Grade
These are the props off contarct at the end of this year, have added McKendry because he is being shopped around. From that list I would like to see us keep our under 20's front rowers, they certainly have potential and some size to them. Who would you sign from this list?

Ajuma Adams
Josh Ailaomai
Sam Anderson,
Tinirau Arona,
Luke Bailey,
Caleb Binge,
Michael Bullock,
Adam Cuthbertson,
Mitchell Dodds,
David Fifita,
James Gavet,
Bryce Gibbs,
Tim Glasby,
David Gower,
Jon Green,
Matt Groat,
David Hala,
Glenn Hall,
Ben Hannant,
Sam Hoare,
Saulala Houma,
Felise Kaufusi,
Jason King,
Jeremy Latimore,
Toka Likiliki,
Matthew Lodge,
Dunamis Lui,
Sinoe Masima,
Fuifui Moimoi,
Francis Molo,
Nathaniel Neale,
Joe Ofahengaue,
Luke Page,
Lloyd Perrett,
Nathaniel Peteru,
Junior Roqica,
George Rose,
Kem Seru,
Ava Seumanufagai,
Jake Trbojevic,
Paterika Vaivai,
Siosaia Vave,
Albert Vete,
Jarrod Wallace,
Brett White
Sam McKendry

lockyno1

Post Whore
Glenn Hall, David Fifita and at the right price Brent Kite could be better than what we have

Big Pete

Referee
53239-seinfeld-shakes-head-no-gif-pfOB.gif

hellteam

First Grade
These are the props off contarct at the end of this year, have added McKendry because he is being shopped around. From that list I would like to see us keep our under 20's front rowers, they certainly have potential and some size to them. Who would you sign from this list?

Ajuma Adams
Josh Ailaomai
Sam Anderson,
Tinirau Arona,
Luke Bailey,
Caleb Binge,
Michael Bullock,
Adam Cuthbertson,
Mitchell Dodds,
David Fifita,
James Gavet,
Bryce Gibbs,
Tim Glasby,
David Gower,
Jon Green,
Matt Groat,
David Hala,
Glenn Hall,
Ben Hannant,
Sam Hoare,
Saulala Houma,
Felise Kaufusi,
Jason King,
Jeremy Latimore,
Toka Likiliki,
Matthew Lodge,
Dunamis Lui,
Sinoe Masima,
Fuifui Moimoi,
Francis Molo,
Nathaniel Neale,
Joe Ofahengaue,
Luke Page,
Lloyd Perrett,
Nathaniel Peteru,
Junior Roqica,
George Rose,
Kem Seru,
Ava Seumanufagai,
Jake Trbojevic,
Paterika Vaivai,
Siosaia Vave,
Albert Vete,
Jarrod Wallace,
Brett White
Sam McKendry

Where'd you get that info?

Kiwi

First Grade
The only props I would cut loose from what we have would be Hala and Green. The rest I would try to keep. I would look at adding two out of Lloyd Perrett, Matt Lodge or Jake Trbojevic. I would say we would have a good chance of signing any of those three as Perrett and Lodge have a few props in front of them and Manly have cap issues so wouldn't be able to fight to hard to keep Trbojevic. I would also target Tim Browne who is not on that list but is off contract. At the Broncos Browne could earn himself a starting spot easily.

Nightward

Juniors
The only props I would cut loose from what we have would be Hala

In the words of Gus, "No no no no no no."

Hala, in his limited time on the field this season, has shown more than every prop bar McGuire combined. He's had a cruel run with injuries, but he is a dangerous player and worth keeping.

Letting him go would be quite nearly as dumb as the Civonecieva mess.

Big Pete

Referee
I don't think the Broncos should be that desperate for props.

First, let us look at their realistic front row stocks for next year.

Josh McGuire
Martin Kennedy
Jarrod Wallace
David Hala
Mitchell Dodds
Francis Molo
Joe Ofahengaue

Factor in the realistic possibility of Lindsay Collins or a George Fai coming into the team, possible Queensland Cup affiliates and the likes of Parker or Thaiday being able to have a stint there and I don't see the need for urgency.

I think one prop from outside the system would help. I hope it's a player with some genuine size and potential.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member

Josh McGuire
Martin Kennedy
Jarrod Wallace
David Hala
Mitchell Dodds
Francis Molo
Joe Ofahengaue

Factor in the realistic possibility of Lindsay Collins or a George Fai coming into the team, possible Queensland Cup affiliates and the likes of Parker or Thaiday being able to have a stint there and I don't see the need for urgency.

I think one prop from outside the system would help. I hope it's a player with some genuine size and potential.

Doesn't look like a bad list on paper....

But there is no-one that really strikes fear into the opposition (apart from Hala, who can only maintain it for 5-10 minutes). In my mind, McGuire is solid but has gone backwards compared to previous years. Kennedy, well, not much more to say there... Wallace definitely has promise but seems more workhorse type. Dodds was going ok before his injury, might come back good, but relies more on his defence than bending the line back. Molo and Ofahengaue are good prospects, but I rate Lodge and Perrett as better prospects (especially Lodge, who absolutely killed it in the under 20s origin).

The quantity is there but yet to be sold on the quality... We need a bit more of a mix of players too... To be honest we are a bit unlucky as Kennedy was supposed to be that guy, but didn't eventuate. Whether that be just bad luck or poor recruiting.

I saw Felise Kaufusi (listed) play QLD cup once this year and was impressed, but that's only 1 viewing...

George Fai. Is he currently injured or just not making the under 20s team?

Dazzat

First Grade

Josh McGuire
Martin Kennedy
Jarrod Wallace
David Hala
Mitchell Dodds
Francis Molo
Joe Ofahengaue

Maybe I'm spoiled supporting the club with the likes of Webke, Civ, Lazarus, Thorn, and Hannant ... but that list is totally uninspiring. Of the older players, there is not one prop who either 1) bends the line consistently or 2) offloads consistently.

And with the exception of some freakish players, props rarely mature until their mid 20s, so the two young guns at the bottom - both of whom Pete you have admitted aren't playing well in the 20s - will take time (and as we know Griffin will only reluctantly give them any game time to develop - as we have seen with Wallace).

In addition, who is the forward leader there? McGuire? Who is the player to stand up in a clutch?

Sorry, but cannot agree with your assertion that all is peachy in the front row. I would call it desperate and in need of attention.

Dazzat

First Grade
Not too much on offer when it comes to props next year, but I think the club should start thinking long term. I'd go for either Brenton Lawrence, Sam Rapira, Ben Matalino or Sam McKendry for 2016. As a bit of a roughy - Mitch Garbutt as a younger player.

Oh ... and a coach who actually shows some faith in younger players would help too.

Nightward

Juniors
Oh ... and a coach who actually shows some faith in younger players would help too.

This, to be honest, is what has mystified me the most about Griffin's reign.

He got where he is by coaching the under-20s. So he should know how to develop younger players and be willing to give them a go.

Big Pete

Referee
But there is no-one that really strikes fear into the opposition (apart from Hala, who can only maintain it for 5-10 minutes). In my mind, McGuire is solid but has gone backwards compared to previous years. Kennedy, well, not much more to say there... Wallace definitely has promise but seems more workhorse type. Dodds was going ok before his injury, might come back good, but relies more on his defence than bending the line back. Molo and Ofahengaue are good prospects, but I rate Lodge and Perrett as better prospects (especially Lodge, who absolutely killed it in the under 20s origin).

Which is why I suggested those three young props. I believe either one of them would be a good fit for the club, especially with Hannant most likely leaving at the end of the season.

Heck, if Kennedy doesn't kick on, they can pick up two and seek and put in motion an early release for Kennedy.

My issue is this needless desperation. How is throwing around big sums of money on players who have yet to prove themselves really going to fix matters?

Again, if there was a Scott or a Burgess available then by all means but players like Lawrence and Moa have shown that you don't need to spend big to get the most out of your front row.

Whether that be just bad luck or poor recruiting.

Bit of the latter I think.

On form, Kennedy wasn't that great at the Roosters and they were happy to move him on with JWH, Moa, Evans & Napa on their books.

From the Broncos perspective, they saw a guy who had been earmarked as a future Origin player who from all reports was a good bloke off the field. A change of environment may have been his ticket, just like it was for Shillo but at this stage it has not turned out.

Ultimately, I just think if the rumours are true and the Broncos are paying him upwards of 350-400K it was a silly decision since it was always a fair chance of blowing up in their face.

George Fai. Is he currently injured or just not making the under 20s team?

Injured.

And with the exception of some freakish players, props rarely mature until their mid 20s, so the two young guns at the bottom - both of whom Pete you have admitted aren't playing well in the 20s - will take time (and as we know Griffin will only reluctantly give them any game time to develop - as we have seen with Wallace).

Not well enough to be picked in first grade at this very moment but still genuine prospects worth persisting with who could play a fair part in 2015 and beyond.

In addition, who is the forward leader there? McGuire? Who is the player to stand up in a clutch?

McGuire is obviously the premier prop but the likes of Parker, Thaiday and Glenn are the forward leaders with Gillett & Oates posing as likely clutch options.

Sorry, but cannot agree with your assertion that all is peachy in the front row.

That wasn't my assertion, so that's okay.

Kiwi

First Grade

Josh McGuire
Martin Kennedy
Jarrod Wallace
David Hala
Mitchell Dodds
Francis Molo
Joe Ofahengaue

The one prop, would it be better to go an experienced prop over an up and comer? That is a very young front row rotation.

After reading what you have said on this matter one thing has hit in the face. When did our pack start getting dominated? When Thaiday went down injured. We moved Parker back to the second row out of the front row. I know many were against him being there, but he is our best option there right now, and it suits him, he runs hard, tackles hard, can play long minutes there and has one of the best offloads in the game.

A starting pack of McGuire, McCullough, Parker, Glenn, Oates and Gillett is our best option till Thaiday returns. It's subtle changes, but it works better than what Griffin is running with now.

Big Pete

Referee
Of those available, a class talent who can bend the line and is willing to prove themselves.

It's difficult to know what the market is truly like, but the reports that the Broncos are actively searching for a middle forward is a positive sign.

But yeah, I don't think we necessarily need to buy experience with Parker and Sammy around. I also think our current stock should be better next season.

For me, landing Milford is absolutely huge. The only thing the club really needs now is for Barba to hit his straps and a bit of speed out wide and you know, those close losses we've had this year may end up becoming wins.

Last edited:

oikee

Juniors
Luke Bailey, LikiLiki, Brett White and Albert Vete. The last bloke would be the best signing of them all. Vete.
I would take Bailey because he has never let you down and deserves to win a premiership.
I see that Gee is first to be sacked.
Next Griff and then Whitey.

Kiwi

First Grade
White wont get sacked and shouldn't. He is responsible for off field stuff and has done that well. He has also done what everyone wished Cullen did and kept his nose out of the on field stuff. People can't have it both ways.

Last edited:

Snappy

Coach
Well its good to hear that Gee looks to be going. Next we need a new coach. Griffin is just strangling our beloved club.

I read today that its likely we'll be losing both Hannant and Wallace at end of the season.

Kiwi

First Grade
Well its good to hear that Gee looks to be going. Next we need a new coach. Griffin is just strangling our beloved club.

I read today that its likely we'll be losing both Hannant and Wallace at end of the season.
The article was saying only one of them will be retained. I can't see us letting Wallace go if we aren't going to keep Hannant that's called cutting off your nose to spite your face

Latest posts