What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Chainshada

Juniors
We have a Halfback sitting on the bench, that's the stupid part. I'd be shopping for a Fullback who has some decent ball playing skills.

That would be the common sense thing to do, but Griffin doesn't always do that (half that hasn't had a proper shot, he buys Prince, too many 2nd rowers, he buys Stagg).

A good ball-playing fullback and a hard-working prop is what we really need for next year.

Big Pete

Referee
Well Hook did try and go after Dugan, we all know how that ended up. Hopefully they're on it though. I wouldn't be against signing Widdop in this position. I don't want him as a half.

Prince is a hack but I don't remember many if any were up in arms when the club signed him. I would have been fine with a Norman/Hunt combination but plenty of people felt uncomfortable with it.

Stagg was a depth player who fell into our lap, his experience around the Origin period will be a bonus.

I think we need another prop too, but a different type of prop. I'm happy with Hannant and McGuire's work-rate but I believe we need a bigger frame in there to bend the line and help build momentum. At times, we just appear a little small and teams are able to contain the forwards with relative ease.

unbreaK

Juniors
Well Hook did try and go after Dugan, we all know how that ended up. Hopefully they're on it though. I wouldn't be against signing Widdop in this position. I don't want him as a half.

Prince is a hack but I don't remember many if any were up in arms when the club signed him. I would have been fine with a Norman/Hunt combination but plenty of people felt uncomfortable with it.

Stagg was a depth player who fell into our lap, his experience around the Origin period will be a bonus.

I think we need another prop too, but a different type of prop. I'm happy with Hannant and McGuire's work-rate but I believe we need a bigger frame in there to bend the line and help build momentum. At times, we just appear a little small and teams are able to contain the forwards with relative ease.

Possibly a fully fit Hala?

Lewis06

Juniors
Griffins turning out to be another henjack with no idea. They can only win with hodges in the side

Ive said this for 4 years now LOLZ

Morkel

Juniors
So, the overwhelming opinion is that Prince is offering nothing? I'm starting to think this place is filled with nothing but over-inflated opinions and little in the way of game comprehension.

Go back and look at these tries being scored out on the left. Look at where the vast majority of them start. See Prince with the ball in his hand? Playing direct, going to the line, causing the defensive line to clump up and compress? That's where the space is coming from. Norman's wonderful skills involve nothing more than catching and passing, at best he has to sum up who to pass it to because the overlap is already there. And he's been given plenty of space to make that decision, too.

Chainshada

Juniors
It's not that he's doing nothing, he just isn't doing anything another half couldn't.. Gilllett's try was thanks to Prince..he came to the line and delayed the pass..but Hodges try was the opposite, catch and pass from Prince, delayed pass from Norman.

Kiwi

First Grade
Anyone wishing we would now try and keep Norman needs to get their heads read. He has played 2 good games for us in how long? 2 good games does make form or consistency. He has done this before, played a couple of good games and then done nothing for too long. Sorry but we should be looking elsewhere. Also Even when we win and Wallace and Prince play well people stick the boot in like they just stole your candy, getting pretty old really, like a broken record.

Kiwi

First Grade
So, the overwhelming opinion is that Prince is offering nothing? I'm starting to think this place is filled with nothing but over-inflated opinions and little in the way of game comprehension.

Go back and look at these tries being scored out on the left. Look at where the vast majority of them start. See Prince with the ball in his hand? Playing direct, going to the line, causing the defensive line to clump up and compress? That's where the space is coming from. Norman's wonderful skills involve nothing more than catching and passing, at best he has to sum up who to pass it to because the overlap is already there. And he's been given plenty of space to make that decision, too.

You will soon learn which Broncos fans aren't nob heads dude, there are a few that love to Wallace and Prince bash, also Reed bash bigtime. They are best ignored.

Kiwi

First Grade
It's not that he's doing nothing, he just isn't doing anything another half couldn't.. Gilllett's try was thanks to Prince..he came to the line and delayed the pass..but Hodges try was the opposite, catch and pass from Prince, delayed pass from Norman.

Difference is fans now swooning over Norman lets keep him for doing the same thing you say Prince did who "did nothing" People love a scape goat and people love to target one player or a couple and everything is their fault and no matter how well the team does it is never thanks to these players.

Chainshada

Juniors
I specifically said he didn't "do nothing", he's just not doing anything special..I don't like any of our half options..Norman,Wallace,Prince..I'd like to see Hunt get a proper shot, and if he sucks, I won't want him either.

You say people are idiots for swooning over Norman now that he's had 2 good games, yet you defend Wallace/Prince for doing exactly the same. Wallace has had 4-5 years of mediocrity, Prince has at the very least broken even on screw-ups/success (Gives Gillett a try, kicks out on the full).

Reed bashing over the last season was justified, he did nothing praiseworthy all year, and he's only just now finding form again.

I'm not going to say everything is fine and dandy for the future (this is what this thread is about, not how we played this/last week), because our halves decided to step up for 2 games.

Big Pete

Referee
No Morkel, the opinion is he's a hack.

He's helped the spread no doubt, but he's also killed plenty of sets by not organising his outside men properly, kicking poorly on the last and is just a liability in defence.

Let's be real here, this isn't the Prince of old.

And Wallace is just plain average.

beads6

First Grade
Regardless of how Prince goes this year he is a short term fix. We've lost Norman and looks likely to lose Hunt so where is our next decent half coming from?? We need good enough halves so we don't have to play Wallace.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Can't we just all agree that our halves and fullback have been far from perfect. It's been a mixed display of great, solid and nothing from them yet things aren't grave and seem to be improving albeit on the back of strong defence, better playmaking combination and our forwards.

P.S Even a bit of creativity.

Last edited:

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
No Morkel, the opinion is he's a hack.

He's helped the spread no doubt, but he's also killed plenty of sets by not organising his outside men properly, kicking poorly on the last and is just a liability in defence.

Let's be real here, this isn't the Prince of old.

And Wallace is just plain average.

While Prince certainly hasn't been the miraculous Lockyer replacement we've all hoped for, he has definitely improved drastically in his playmaking for us in the last 2 games. He set up a few of our tries on Friday night by keeping the Titans defensive line guessing.

I'm still pessimistic about him, but I would argue keep a close eye on his performance over the next few games, especially up against JT on Friday.

unbreaK

Juniors
I've actually been fine with Prince's performances so far, he's certainly not setting the world on fire, but as a temporary fix to a long term problem, he's doing his job.

We REALLY need to re-sign Hunt or to buy a Halfback under the age of 26, asap.

Big Pete

Referee
While Prince certainly hasn't been the miraculous Lockyer replacement we've all hoped for, he has definitely improved drastically in his playmaking for us in the last 2 games. He set up a few of our tries on Friday night by keeping the Titans defensive line guessing.

I'm still pessimistic about him, but I would argue keep a close eye on his performance over the next few games, especially up against JT on Friday.

Drastically?

The guy is still getting caught with the ball because he can't position his outside men effectively.

Granted, he did show some improvement on Friday but I'm no where near sold on him.