What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Big Pete

Referee
Basically.

A nice stop-gap that would give Hook a viable alternative in the halves.

For mine, he's only had two decent halves of football. The first half against Manly and the second against the Titans when we were well on top.

The moment he starts diving is the moment I want him gone for good.

Chainshada

Juniors
Didn't know he was playing until the game was pretty much over..anyone see how Milford went in the Raiders game tonight on debut? Any promising signs?

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Speak for yourself on that front. I don't think many Brisbane fans thought the Prince recruitment was anything other than a cheap off-season opportunity.

I guess I was. I honestly thought he wasn't performing at the Titans because of the squad around him. Apparently not.

Hoffman is in very good form this year. I'd be interested to see how he would go at fullback when in form and not carrying a chest injury. That said he looks at home on the wing and is doing an exceptional job finishing. Hoffman to fullback could work again if we got a gun half. Since there aren't any on the market I think him on the wing is a better option.

Agreed. Ze Hoff was great in 2010, IMO, because of this. (great half)

Starting to think we should spend some of the $600 000 we were reported to be spending on Dugan to entice Norman to do a Papali. One it would be good to stick it to Parra and Pricky Stuart and secondly he's starting to go well. Come 2015 when Prince retires move Norman back to 5/8 to play alongside Hunt who hopefully by then has surpassed Wallace and is our starting seven. Surely by then we should be able to develop or line up another decent fullback.

No. I had faith in Norman and I honestly think he will make a decent 6 in the long run....but he's not there yet. Instead of biding his time at FB, or IMO in Qcup, he's chased a definite spot in the halves with a hefty paycheck to go along with it. Good for him but I don't want a player who stamps his foot when he doesn't get his way. I want a player (like Hoffman) who's lost his position and decides to just play his ass off to show his worth to the team.

Hoffman IMO has at no time shown he is capable of creating the extra link and play maker in the backline like Norman is currently doing.

No to a move back from me. He has shown, I think ....his true value is on the wing.

We'll need to find another fullback next year. Hopefully Kahu gets through 2013 without injury and starts to fulfill his promise...

Honestly think Hoff would make a gun centre

Must have missed 2010 then.

As stated above, he's a great support FB and works well with a creative half.

Well Hook did try and go after Dugan, we all know how that ended up. Hopefully they're on it though. I wouldn't be against signing Widdop in this position. I don't want him as a half.

Prince is a hack but I don't remember many if any were up in arms when the club signed him. I would have been fine with a Norman/Hunt combination but plenty of people felt uncomfortable with it.

Stagg was a depth player who fell into our lap, his experience around the Origin period will be a bonus.

I think we need another prop too, but a different type of prop. I'm happy with Hannant and McGuire's work-rate but I believe we need a bigger frame in there to bend the line and help build momentum. At times, we just appear a little small and teams are able to contain the forwards with relative ease.

Agree with the bold.

Griffins turning out to be another henjack with no idea. They can only win with hodges in the side

Ive said this for 4 years now LOLZ

Look what the cat dragged in!!! :)

You will soon learn which Broncos fans aren't nob heads dude, there are a few that love to Wallace and Prince bash, also Reed bash bigtime. They are best ignored.

Bitches best back off my boy Reed!!!

Drastically?

The guy is still getting caught with the ball because he can't position his outside men effectively.

Granted, he did show some improvement on Friday but I'm no where near sold on him.

....and I wonder how much of that was emotion. 1 good performance doesn't convince me either.

Speak for yourself on that front. I don't think many Brisbane fans thought the Prince recruitment was anything other than a cheap off-season opportunity.

I was in that boat too. The titans didn't want him and were in fact glad to be rid of him.

Didn't know he was playing until the game was pretty much over..anyone see how Milford went in the Raiders game tonight on debut? Any promising signs?

I don't think he got much game time tbh. A quality kick or 2 is all I saw.

Big Pete

Referee
Going to take a lot of money, luck and good coaching for that to be a reality though.

Oh and I'd swap them around. Hunt is infinitely better as the first receiver.

Chainshada

Juniors
Hopefully Furner can't ruin him in 2 years..Both Wallace and Prince come off contract same time as Milford, surely he can't cost more than both combined.

beads6

First Grade
To me it looked like Milford was debuted for the hell of it. He doesn't look anywhere near ready. Unless the Raiders turn McCrone into a half and put Campese at lock he won't be playing first grade unless the Raiders have injured. Looked pretty sharp but he is pretty small.

Chainshada

Juniors
He's about the same height as Cronk, just needs to build a little muscle I think, training for first grade should add that.

beads6

First Grade
I'd say we are no chance of getting Milford unless he wanted to leave Canberra. Best mates with big Papalia. They had an almost lovers embrace when the fulltime siren went last night.

jakepearce94

Juniors
Agreed. Ze Hoff was great in 2010, IMO, because of this. (great half)

No. I had faith in Norman and I honestly think he will make a decent 6 in the long run....but he's not there yet. Instead of biding his time at FB, or IMO in Qcup, he's chased a definite spot in the halves with a hefty paycheck to go along with it. Good for him but I don't want a player who stamps his foot when he doesn't get his way. I want a player (like Hoffman) who's lost his position and decides to just play his ass off to show his worth to the team.

Honestly think Hoff would make a gun centre

As stated above, he's a great support FB and works well with a creative half.

Agree with the bold.

Look what the cat dragged in!!! :)

Bitches best back off my boy Reed!!!

....and I wonder how much of that was emotion. 1 good performance doesn't convince me either.

I was in that boat too. The titans didn't want him and were in fact glad to be rid of him.

I don't think he got much game time tbh. A quality kick or 2 is all I saw.
hoffman pretty much never used to pop up in support, widdop would and so would tomkins, go look on youtube at all the widdop and tomkin highlights.

Jason Simmons

Juniors
Aiden Tolman would be a great pick-up for the Broncs, we should absolutely be throwing Dugan-esque cash at him. He's only 24 and already (at his best) one of the best props in the game. At 24 he has plenty of years ahead of him and with Tolman, Hannant and McGuire we'd have a great prop rotation, with Hala and Anderson as our main depth props and Sammy up-front when needed, we'd have few go forward problems.

Then I would throw cash at Hunt to keep him. If Prince doesn't improve this season (which I think is unlikely as he should get a bit better just from combinations gelling alone - he and Wallace hace never played together before. As much as I dislike Wallace as a player, 5 games isn't enough to form a decent NRL standard combination) then throw Hunt into the deep end and let him prove he's up to NRL standard as a starting half / 5-8 and run Prince or Wallace off the bench.

Wallace can move to Hooker to give McCullough a breather and Prince can slide into halfback as needed. Glenn, Gillett and Stagg can move around as needed as outside backs if injuries strike and we have a pretty solid team across the park, maybe not brilliant, but solid so long as the effort is there.

We should also throw money at a long term strike outside back / fullback. With Hoffman's improved form, I don't think a quality fullback is as big an issue as it may have seemed. At his best, he is a very good fullback and winger. If we can find a strike centre or fullback (who doesn't go crazy on twitter) all well and good but I think the props and keeping the halves we have is where we should be concentrating on.

We'll definitely need a strike player in the backs to cover for when Hodges retires. If we can pick up a right centre now great (sorry Jack Reed, but I don't see you dominating like Hodges at his best, ever...) then all to the good. If it's a fullback well so be it.

AceAv

Juniors
Aiden Tolman would be a great pick-up for the Broncs, we should absolutely be throwing Dugan-esque cash at him. He's only 24 and already (at his best) one of the best props in the game. At 24 he has plenty of years ahead of him and with Tolman, Hannant and McGuire we'd have a great prop rotation, with Hala and Anderson as our main depth props and Sammy up-front when needed, we'd have few go forward problems.

Then I would throw cash at Hunt to keep him. If Prince doesn't improve this season (which I think is unlikely as he should get a bit better just from combinations gelling alone - he and Wallace hace never played together before. As much as I dislike Wallace as a player, 5 games isn't enough to form a decent NRL standard combination) then throw Hunt into the deep end and let him prove he's up to NRL standard as a starting half / 5-8 and run Prince or Wallace off the bench.

Wallace can move to Hooker to give McCullough a breather and Prince can slide into halfback as needed. Glenn, Gillett and Stagg can move around as needed as outside backs if injuries strike and we have a pretty solid team across the park, maybe not brilliant, but solid so long as the effort is there.

We should also throw money at a long term strike outside back / fullback. With Hoffman's improved form, I don't think a quality fullback is as big an issue as it may have seemed. At his best, he is a very good fullback and winger. If we can find a strike centre or fullback (who doesn't go crazy on twitter) all well and good but I think the props and keeping the halves we have is where we should be concentrating on.

We'll definitely need a strike player in the backs to cover for when Hodges retires. If we can pick up a right centre now great (sorry Jack Reed, but I don't see you dominating like Hodges at his best, ever...) then all to the good. If it's a fullback well so be it.

Words of wisdom here mate. Would be a great pick and worth the $... Hodges may only have 2-3 more in him.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I don't think we really need another worker-type prop like Tolman. McGuire and Hannant can already handle big minutes, especially McGuire. I think we need a prop who is going to give the defence some headaches, and/or possibly some ball skills.

Kiwi

First Grade
If Lui is a priority signing while Hunt is not, all Broncos management need to end themselves.

So I'm assuming the 2mil is between both players, over 3-4 years..so that'd put them on around 300k each? Reed's currently on 150k.

I would say they are saying Hunts future looks uncertain due to the fact the Broncos are in the market for a playmaker.

Latest posts