What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Joker's Wild

Coach
$1.1M would surely be inclusive of some 3rd party sponsorship deals

No way could the Broncos fit that whole value under their cap

Bretto

Bench
That article is a load of shit. A nothing story by a desperate journo who needs clicks on their website.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
My opinion would be give Hunt and Milford a chance together and use the 1.1 million to build a decent front row and retain Copley.

Offload Kennedy, retain McG, sign Hargreaves from the Roosters, retain Hannant for a bench spot and the rest we can continue to develop Wallace and Hala. Done.

Dazzat

First Grade
I tend to agree about the front row. The club is probably the thinnest in terms of halves and front rowers. Kennedy has and will be a disaster. Hala can't get on the park for some decent fitness, and the under 20s are developing slower than expected.

Don't forget Dodds - who I rate. I'd make a play for Paul Vaughan (Canberra), who is impressing off the bench. Think of the improvement when coached by anyone other than Stuart!

Bronco18

Juniors
Dodds was showing real improvement before that injury cut him down. I hope he hasn't lost much from his stint on the sidelines.

Kiwi

First Grade
I'll be annoyed if they chase DCE hard and we lose Hunt. They kid has done everything asked of him, and has been our main strike weapon all season, without him we ain't in the 8 or anywhere near it, all that with Hoffman at 6 fluffing a couple of tries a game and killing our attack more times than not and we look to replace him. Fix our front row ffs, we have Milford coming for a spine of Barba, Milford, Hunt and McCullough, that's sorted, back row sorted, outside backs, sorted, front row...not sorted.

Tommo

Juniors
That article is a load of shit. A nothing story by a desperate journo who needs clicks on their website.
The article says Daly's father Steve is good mates with Hook. I always thought Daly's father was Troy Evens. I presume the Steve that is talked about is Steve Cherry. Just goes to show how much the "journalist" does his research.

Dazzat

First Grade
Granville is gone to North Queensland I read the other day, with his old coach from Wynnum Paul Green.

So, we're back to square one with no back-up hooker, because Hook has no clue.

Big Pete

Referee
Oh well.

Granville is a good little player and I wish him well at the Cowboys but he was never going to make the most of his career at Brisbane with McCullough infront of him.

Considering Granville has only played all of four games, none of which has even equated to a full game it's not as if it's that big a step back.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Granville is gone to North Queensland I read the other day, with his old coach from Wynnum Paul Green.

Dazzat do you have some kind of link for this?

If true, who becomes our 2nd (choice) hooker?

Last edited:

u4er

Juniors
I'm kind of glad to see Granville leave, he deserves a decent shot at first grade and he had very little chance of getting that at the Broncos. Too good to be a back up hooker but not good enough to displace Macca.

Dazzat

First Grade
Oh well.

Granville is a good little player and I wish him well at the Cowboys but he was never going to make the most of his career at Brisbane with McCullough infront of him.

Considering Granville has only played all of four games, none of which has even equated to a full game it's not as if it's that big a step back.

Pete ... this logic would be fine if players kept playing until they were 80 years old and never got injured. There is this thing called having a "back up plan" and "player development" (if Granville wasn't in the squad, who would be stepping up for this game now that McCullough's injured - Stagg).

And agree with your last sentence. Hook hasn't bothered with developing Granville at all so, going back to zero isn't a big deal. Zero gained, zero lost. Not the way to run a club though.

Big Pete

Referee
That would be a fair point if the Broncos had have released Granville for the rest of the year, but they didn't even though he asked for one because the Eels were desperate. Right now, he is the back-up plan and he's getting a shot.

Granville was never the future, he's older than McCullough...

Berrell, Lee & Cullen (if he sticks around) will be the back-up plans.

bfoord

Juniors

Granville will leave because he doesn't want to be a backup hooker, he wants to be an NRL started. so the only way to keep him is to drop McCullough and start Granville in his place.

and that is just plain stupid.

Dazzat

First Grade
Sure ... you convinced me. However, I'm still not sure about the concept of playing No. 9s for 80 minutes when you have a nippy, impact type player like Granville who has shown he can make a difference when coming on.

This, combined with Hook's consistent practice of only using three off the bench. That doesn't make sense to me. Seems we are losing a lot of impact at the end of each half, and not making use of our bench wisely (either to win games or give up-and-comers a run).

XXXX Cap

Juniors

No, that was just "journalist" Chris Garry summising in his article that Jake would go to another NRL club next year and that the Cowboys was the most likely because of the Paul Green connection.

Bit of water to go under the bridge yet.