What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

DeeJ

Bench
Feel bad for Hannant, he is a traditional hard working prop and he will be missed. I don't think we can cover for a loss in experience he provided as well.

Don't know why people keep bringing up Packer, he's all done with the Panthers from what I read. Gus even met him in jail.

TheViking

Juniors
Feel bad for Hannant, he is a traditional hard working prop and he will be missed. I don't think we can cover for a loss in experience he provided as well.

Don't know why people keep bringing up Packer, he's all done with the Panthers from what I read. Gus even met him in jail.

Word is Dragons.

Panthers came out last week saying the pulled out due to someone offering overs.

Dazzat

First Grade
Bennet has a good history of getting the best out of front rowers - Poore, Weyman, Mason were all out of favour or had potential but couldn't quite make it big in the top grade. I'll throw in Cuthbertson too, who I think has had a strong year. That's of course not mentioning his history with us (Webcke, Petro etc.).

I think he could do a world of good with the youngsters and hopefully an uninjured Hala and Kennedy. Parker in the middle third is good, but he should be playing there at lock with another legitimate prop supporting him and McGuire. McGuire is tenacious and has a great workrate but is small. There's a tendency for our pack to get bullied by big ones, Souths absolutely steam rolled us both times we played them this year.

Also RE Kennedy, I think he's on 400k a year.

Very true, but miracles may take longer than a few months.

Griffin's influence will take time to wash out.

Antonio Kaufusi anyone? Was released from his English club today to take up an opportunity in Australia. Bennett would have worked with him in the Queensland team.

TheViking

Juniors
Very true, but miracles may take longer than a few months.

Griffin's influence will take time to wash out.

Antonio Kaufusi anyone? Was released from his English club today to take up an opportunity in Australia. Bennett would have worked with him in the Queensland team.

He would be 29 now and was pretty poor before leaving.

Big Pete

Referee
Hannant peaked in 2009 and hasn't come close to that sort of form since. Wish him well at the Cowboys and it's a shame to see him leave since he seemed quite passionate about the club but he just didn't deliver for one reason or another.

I'm comfortable with the Broncos depth in the front-row position. It maybe a blow in the short-term but in the long run I cannot see it being a big deal.

Unless Kaufusi comes to the Broncos under the same circumstances as Jon Green, I don't want him near the club.

Dazzat

First Grade
Hannant showed more heart in the front row than anyone else this year. He took the hitups in the difficult spots and showed more class than any other prop, McGuire included, with his off-load selectivity.

This, despite the treatment he was handed by the coach, sacking him for giving advice to a young player.

Funny, for me that's exactly what we need this year - an old head like Hannant giving advice to young props. How ironic - that's why he's probably leaving.

Hannant's departure is a huge loss. Full stop.

Kiwi

First Grade
Hannant peaked in 2009 and hasn't come close to that sort of form since. Wish him well at the Cowboys and it's a shame to see him leave since he seemed quite passionate about the club but he just didn't deliver for one reason or another.

I'm comfortable with the Broncos depth in the front-row position. It maybe a blow in the short-term but in the long run I cannot see it being a big deal.

Unless Kaufusi comes to the Broncos under the same circumstances as Jon Green, I don't want him near the club.
agree 100%

also another issue is our defense wasn't aggressive enough until the opposition was on our line. we had no drama stopping big blokes close to the line yet gave them to much room and weren't aggressive enough in the other 80 meters of the field.

Dazzat

First Grade

Pete, please show me the depth, keeping in mind that depth inherently means quality as well.

TheViking

Juniors
Hannant showed more heart in the front row than anyone else this year. He took the hitups in the difficult spots and showed more class than any other prop, McGuire included, with his off-load selectivity.

This, despite the treatment he was handed by the coach, sacking him for giving advice to a young player.

Funny, for me that's exactly what we need this year - an old head like Hannant giving advice to young props. How ironic - that's why he's probably leaving.

Hannant's departure is a huge loss. Full stop.

Agree with this. I think those writing it off as minor is underestimating him big time.

Big Pete

Referee
Pete, please show me the depth, keeping in mind that depth inherently means quality as well.

What would that achieve?

Kiwi already provided a list that contained most of the Broncos options.

I'm comfortable with it, you're not - end of story.

Dazzat

First Grade
Kiwi's list shows no depth and very little quality.

I can't see the sense in pretending otherwise. But that's just me. I like reality.

For example, let's just imagine Josh McGuire is injured in round 1 or 2. A front row of Kennedy and Hala with Wallace and Garbutt coming off the bench is not going to win us a premiership or get us in the top eight (based on 2014 performances).

Kiwi

First Grade
That's a matter of opinion as always. You're opinion differs from ours, that's fine. IMHO Bennett has a way of making people change their opinion of front rowers once he starts working with them.

Kiwi

First Grade
Big Pete do you think with Thaiday entering the twilight of his career and with the abundance of backrowers we have now he will spend more time or be shifted permanently to the front row rotation? He wasn't a bad front rower we just missed his wide running, wwe have a lot of wide running back rowers now who can fill the void.

Big Pete

Referee
Nope, if anything Bennett's signing means that Thaiday will most likely spend his time exclusively on the right fringe.

Dazzat

First Grade
That's a matter of opinion as always. You're opinion differs from ours, that's fine. IMHO Bennett has a way of making people change their opinion of front rowers once he starts working with them.

I have no doubt that Bennett will get the most out of what he has inherited. But history shows Kiwi that front rowers are not made overnight. With very rare exceptions, props take years to develop. They usually don't come to maturity until their mid 20s/late 20s.

Sure you can disagree with my opinion, but facts also speak for themselves. In terms of NRL experience (games under their belt), representative experience and game statistics, our front row will be about on the bottom of the pile next year.

The mere presence of Hannant at least gave those statistics a boost.

Thaiday has continually shown that he is not suited to the front row roll. Unless Bennett can work with him to change his style of play and even body type, can't see that changing.

Kiwi

First Grade
most of my list are mid 20's. Kennedy, Garbutt, McGuire..it's not like Bennett is working with a blank canvas, players with zero experience, these are guys that should be starting to hit their prime and with the right coaching and mental attitude good form for these guys could very well just an off season and a few trial games away

Snappy

Coach
I like your optimism kiwi but lets be real here. Garbutt is a rookie with no experience. Kennedy came with a so called big reputation, but wasn't even playing first grade for Roosters and has since proved to be a powder puff. McGuire is a workhorse but rarely busts the line or drops someone on their arse.

If we don't sign some big name props we're going to get steamrolled.