What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Dazzat

First Grade
Hannant is gone to NQ. This is bad news for the club and another piece of Griffin legacy. No doubt Hannant's relationship with the club soured due to Griffin's ludicrous mid-season sacking of Hannant's for (gasp) giving advice to a young player.

We now have a very inexperienced front row and considering the lack of yardage this year it's a devastating blow.

Snappy

Coach
No doubt Bennett is laying his chips on getting Packer. If that falls through we're in trouble. The NRL might not even register him, not too mention he wouldn't have touched a football for 12 months.

Sad to see the Polar Bear leave.

JW

Coach
No doubt Bennett is laying his chips on getting Packer. If that falls through we're in trouble. The NRL might not even register him, not too mention he wouldn't have touched a football for 12 months.

Sad to see the Polar Bear leave.

Packer's a no go.

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2014/09/30/wayne_bennett_q_a_part_2.html

Russell Packer ... the Broncos put together an offer?

Unfortunately Russell won’t be coming to the Broncos. I received a call from his manager (on Friday night) advising me that Russell is going to go in a different direction and look at offers from other clubs. He won’t be here next year.

Are you disappointed?

I am. I was looking forward to working with Russell as a person and footballer. He would have brought some toughness, he is one tough dude on the field. A bit of aggression is needed in a football team and the best ones have a guy like him. He’s pretty skilful too, he carries the ball well for a big fella. I like the skill in his game. But he’s got some legal bills and a young family to provide for so I understand he has to do the best thing by them.

Will the NRL register any contract for Packer?

He will be back in rugby league, I just don’t know what the time frame is.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
News also that Antonio Kaufusi is coming back to the NRL from England. Not sure to read anything into that ... he played one good season with Melbourne, played State of Origin for Queensland and then morphed into a powder puff at North Queensland.

Mixed messages about Packer at the moment. St George have been quoted as the favourites to get him. Either way, certainly not a like-for-like replacement for Hannant who is a mature head around the place.

Dazzat

First Grade
As I've said before, I'm not expecting miracles from Bennett next year. It will take the club a year or two to repair after the Griffin debacle. And this is one example of this.

Kiwi

First Grade
you do realize that McGuire and Parker were well above average in terms of metres gained amongst the NRL props? Making metres wasn't the issue. clocking off in defense, school boy errors, poor use of the bench, game plan not suited to the team and slow starts in games were.

Kiwi

First Grade
McGuire
Parker
Garbutt
Kennedy
Molo
Hala
Wallace

not really short on front rowers, one thing I have 100% faith in, is Bennett and his work with Front Rowers. If he works his magic on these guys we will be a force sooner than later. Especially if he gets Kennedy firing.

TheViking

Juniors
McGuire
Parker
Garbutt
Kennedy
Molo
Hala
Wallace

not really short on front rowers, one thing I have 100% faith in, is Bennett and his work with Front Rowers. If he works his magic on these guys we will be a force sooner than later. Especially if he gets Kennedy firing.

That list only further supports my view. Shocking to let him go.

Parker is no prop in my eyes.

McGuire is a good prop.

Kennedy is very very poor in my books. I think Roosters were extremely smart in getting rid of him and having Moa, Napa, Evans etc.

Garbutt could be something. Looks promising. Though Hannant was someone they should of kept. Kennedy should of been gone before Hannant.

TheViking

Juniors
you do realize that McGuire and Parker were well above average in terms of metres gained amongst the NRL props? Making metres wasn't the issue. clocking off in defense, school boy errors, poor use of the bench, game plan not suited to the team and slow starts in games were.

This is all relivant to minutes played. In which Parker and McGuire would of played substantially more. Especially when you consider someone like Hannant was on the outer for so long.

It's like using Tolman as an example for metres. He plays a lot of minutes. Doesn't tell you the full story at all.

TheViking

Juniors
Every chance Kennedy is on half the money Hannant was.

I don't think so at all. He was being talked up as a Origin bolter. Don't ask me how. Even when he played alright for the Roosters he was such a penalty magnet.

I am sure the Rooster fans are glad he is gone for the money he would of commanded.

I would not be surprised at all if Wayne attempts to move him on if he can find some quality prop to replace him.

Dazzat

First Grade
McGuire
Parker
Garbutt
Kennedy
Molo
Hala
Wallace

McGuire - quality, big engine, bends the line.
Parker - not a prop and wasted in that positon.
Garbutt - amazing potential but still young and untested at NRL level
Kennedy - played one good game all season. Say no more.
Molo - see Garbutt
Hala - could be good if he strung three or more games together without injury
Wallace - probably wonders if he's Arthur or Martha after Griffin treated him like a leper, never knew when he was going to play, or if he was named on the bench, even if he'd get a game. Steady player.

So, to sum up ... this year just finished we had the worst front row rotation in the league, and next year short of signing an experienced, mature prop, we'll again have the worst rotation. Heck, even the Sharks of Fifita.

Last edited:

Bronco18

Juniors
Bennet has a good history of getting the best out of front rowers - Poore, Weyman, Mason were all out of favour or had potential but couldn't quite make it big in the top grade. I'll throw in Cuthbertson too, who I think has had a strong year. That's of course not mentioning his history with us (Webcke, Petro etc.).

I think he could do a world of good with the youngsters and hopefully an uninjured Hala and Kennedy. Parker in the middle third is good, but he should be playing there at lock with another legitimate prop supporting him and McGuire. McGuire is tenacious and has a great workrate but is small. There's a tendency for our pack to get bullied by big ones, Souths absolutely steam rolled us both times we played them this year.

Also RE Kennedy, I think he's on 400k a year.

Maroon4life

Juniors
McGuire
Parker
Garbutt
Kennedy
Molo
Hala
Wallace

One of the worst groups of under performing and untested forward packs in the game right now.

What Griffin has left this team in is a joke, any club that takes him on would have to be desperate and at their very last resort.

Unless Bennett is a miracle worker we can expect to be monstered by the real teams until Bennet can rebuild this pack.

Latest posts