What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Big Pete

Referee
All the Broncos have to do is find somebody who can replace Hannant's contributions from the bench which really isn't that difficult to achieve.

I actually rate a lot of our players as individual, it's the team aspect that needs to be improved and based on what I've seen, Wayne has the mettle to address a lot of our current issues.

Dazzat

First Grade
All the Broncos have to do is find somebody who can replace Hannant's contributions from the bench which really isn't that difficult to achieve.

I actually rate a lot of our players as individual, it's the team aspect that needs to be improved and based on what I've seen, Wayne has the mettle to address a lot of our current issues.

Let's look at this year rationally first. Our pack was owned and rarely dominated. So we are starting from a very low base.

Who was our most experienced prop - Hannant. Who was shafted by the coach - Hannant. Despite being shafted, and injury, and being made a bench player, Hannant was still our best front rower.

So from a low base, we have lost our most experienced front rower. As hard as I look at that, I can't see a positive.

On the other side Pete, yes, team work will improve under Bennett and maybe just maybe, we'll have a smarter game plan than Griffin (and to quote you, that really is that difficult to achieve).

However, one only needs to look at the teams that made the grand final this year to realise that front row rotations, despite all the changes in the game, are still very, very important.

I remember at the start of the year everyone hypothesising that due to rule changes, front rowers will need to be smaller and faster. No, they still have to be big and skilful. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

AceAv

Juniors
Yeah -what's with all the doom and gloom. Season starts in 5 months! and we're already being predicted to miss out on a premiership!?!

All in all I don't really care if we don't win a premiership. I just want to see the Bronx of 2008 or 2011 -or better be the force we once were that shook the top 4 teams and could beat any team on the park when we played well.

Having a good forward pack is important of course, but we can't go looking at what we have now and judging our place the 2015 season based on that.

It sux to lose Hannant (a LOT), but I look at the current roster of forwards and their size and think; 'We have a lot of talent & potential here still'. And there is now some free cash to go hunting with to replace Hannant.

Plus we now we have the most successful coach in the league back, I have no doubts we will be back to our best in 2015 and beyond.

Big Pete

Referee
Dexter said:
Let's look at this year rationally first. Our pack was owned and rarely dominated. So we are starting from a very low base.

Who was our most experienced prop - Hannant. Who was shafted by the coach - Hannant. Despite being shafted, and injury, and being made a bench player, Hannant was still our best front rower.

So from a low base, we have lost our most experienced front rower. As hard as I look at that, I can't see a positive.

In your opinion.

TheViking

Juniors
I agree with Dexter to be honest. Wayne is a good coach. Though the Broncos need some props. The problem with the money being freed up is it's all going to go to Boyd.

While he is a player who can produce quality he hasn't lately. I honestly have some pretty big doubts on the Broncos. They have some amazing individual players in attack like Hodges, Barba, Milford. Though defensively the last 2 are huge question marks.

They have some quality backrowers/locks in Parker, Glenn, Thaiday, Gillett.

Though outside of McGuire the prop rotation is a huge concern. I can only think that Wayne wants to make Parker or Thaiday props full time and have high hope in Garbutt and someone else. Kennedy perhaps? I sure wouldn't be banking on that.

I think the best thing for the Broncos is to either skip Boyd or attempt to depart with Barba. That is what has been said to be happening though teams are baulking at what he is owed in the future when his deal increases.

We shall see. Wayne isn't stupid this much is certain. Either means he has plans of Parker, Thaiday playing prop and things he can get them doing enough to support McGuire, or he has someone else in mind relatively cheap unless Boyd/Barba stuff changes.

Maroon4life

Juniors
I agree with Dexter to be honest. Wayne is a good coach. Though the Broncos need some props. The problem with the money being freed up is it's all going to go to Boyd.

While he is a player who can produce quality he hasn't lately. I honestly have some pretty big doubts on the Broncos. They have some amazing individual players in attack like Hodges, Barba, Milford. Though defensively the last 2 are huge question marks.

They have some quality backrowers/locks in Parker, Glenn, Thaiday, Gillett.

Though outside of McGuire the prop rotation is a huge concern. I can only think that Wayne wants to make Parker or Thaiday props full time and have high hope in Garbutt and someone else. Kennedy perhaps? I sure wouldn't be banking on that.

I think the best thing for the Broncos is to either skip Boyd or attempt to depart with Barba. That is what has been said to be happening though teams are baulking at what he is owed in the future when his deal increases.

We shall see. Wayne isn't stupid this much is certain. Either means he has plans of Parker, Thaiday playing prop and things he can get them doing enough to support McGuire, or he has someone else in mind relatively cheap unless Boyd/Barba stuff changes.

Option 3 - things really are just as bad as they seem and the forward pack we have is the forward pack we will be playing 26 rounds with next year. If that is the reality then I am very disappointed to have to watch us go around again next year getting belted by other teams packs.

I don't really care that we lost Hannant. I want Bennett to rebuild this pack and to be honest we might have benefited from keeping him for another year but he wasn't going to lead us to any greater success than we were already going to get next year. New, bigger, younger pack is required to win trophies, start from Mcguire and let's go from there.

Dazzat

First Grade
Option 3 - things really are just as bad as they seem and the forward pack we have is the forward pack we will be playing 26 rounds with next year. If that is the reality then I am very disappointed to have to watch us go around again next year getting belted by other teams packs.

I don't really care that we lost Hannant. I want Bennett to rebuild this pack and to be honest we might have benefited from keeping him for another year but he wasn't going to lead us to any greater success than we were already going to get next year. New, bigger, younger pack is required to win trophies, start from Mcguire and let's go from there.

Sure. But it will take time.

Garbutt is a good start. Who knows, Wallace could improve a lot if he's given a reasonable chance. Hala may be over the injuries and could be a real success story next year.

Regardless, the loss of Hannant IS significant, and I don't know of any Test and State of Origin forwards just lounging around waiting for a call from the Broncos.

Big Pete

Referee
As is what you write. That's what forums are for.

Except I don't try and pass off my posts as looking at things rationally and then giving an agenda filled rant on the situation.

Hannant our best front row?

Highly debatable.

'owned'?

No where near as much as what that sentence implies.

Just agree to disagree. I don't see the point in acting like chicken little myself but that's just me.

Big Pete

Referee
I get the impression that Travis Waddell isn't the only player following Wayne up from Newcastle.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a junior of theirs follow him up. No names but plenty of speculation doing the rounds in the rumour mill.

Bronco18

Juniors
I agree with Big Pete on the individual efforts vs. the doing things right as a team.

We looked to be one of the least cohesive teams in attack. Gould made special mention of it against the Storm where it was especially obvious - the Storm all know their roles and can hit their set plays in an instant. Some unpredictability from Hunt and handy efforts from our players (we do have a team chockers with rep players, even if we lacked a half) kept us in games.

This is an area I'm pretty optimistic in for next year. The Knights (although they could turn into a bit of a powder puff team) can really turn on their attack and shift the ball quickly, something we've struggled to do. Adding Milford and Boyd should help this.

Dazzat

First Grade
Except I don't try and pass off my posts as looking at things rationally and then giving an agenda filled rant on the situation.

Hannant our best front row?

Highly debatable.

'owned'?

No where near as much as what that sentence implies.

Just agree to disagree. I don't see the point in acting like chicken little myself but that's just me.

"Highly debatable" ... good ... debate then. Prove me wrong.

I just call a spade a spade Pete. I'll give credit where credit is due, but I refuse to call a pile of dung and banquet. I think if you look at what I have written this year on Griffin has proven to be true and accurate.

On the reverse, back in 2008 I was called a heretic when I predicted on this forum that we'd win the premiership. Hardly anyone on this forum gave Brisbane a chance. It cuts both ways.

Big Pete

Referee
McGuire is a better prop and has Hannant beaten in every KPI in the past few seasons.

Even in Hannant's best year since his return (2012) McGuire had him beat and the members by and large agree hence he was voted the player of the year in that season.

Could even make the point that Corey Parker is a better front row too for similar reasons.

I just call a spade a spade Pete.

Keep telling yourself that.

Dazzat

First Grade
You're high if you think Hannant was our best front rower this year. Parker made much more impact than him.

Sure ... Parker was our best forward but I don't consider him an authentic prop. No other club in the league would play him as a front rower. Only Griffin who had no other options and no clue.

I don't expect Bennett will be playing him at prop either, so I am not including Parker when I consider our 2015 front row rotation.

Dazzat

First Grade
McGuire is a better prop and has Hannant beaten in every KPI in the past few seasons.

Even in Hannant's best year since his return (2012) McGuire had him beat and the members by and large agree hence he was voted the player of the year in that season.

Could even make the point that Corey Parker is a better front row too for similar reasons.

Keep telling yourself that.

McGuire is sure a wonderful player, but not a front rower in the classic sense. And we saw again this year, those teams that have classic, big front rowers are those that go the longest into the finals (Burgess brothers, James Graham, Klemmer, Hargreaves).

My observation is that Hannant made the hard yards and made a bigger impact on the opposition with his runs. McGuire is more a grafting prop who doesn't hit the line as hard, but drives with quick leg speed to make ground.

Again, yes, this is my opinion and no KPI will support me. Hannant's experience will be the biggest loss. I would imagine that McGuire learned a lot from Hannant.

Big Pete

Referee
James Graham is one whole kilo heavier than McGuire. If anything, his presence in the finals and all the adulation proves that size doesn't matter.

I obviously don't agree with your observation of both players and I'll leave it at that.

TheViking

Juniors
Graham has more heart and ability then most.

I think he is more refering to guys like JWH, Klemmer, Burgess boys, Kasiano are all monster blokes to bend the line out, tire the defenders etc.

Hannant doesn't really fill this bill either. Though he certainly was a better prop then all bar McGuire in my opinion. Parker is not a prop and agree he should play lock. He killed it for years doing so. Playing prop really took it's toll on him I think. He isn't getting younger either.