What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

unbreaK

Juniors
I've heard the name mentioned in a few reports, but I just don't see it happening, he'll re-sign with Sharks.

Chainshada

Juniors
To be honest, I hope there are far more changes from that by 2015 and we need to develop some young players. The average age of that team is 27, we'd probably have to replace half the team within 3 years (Hodges, Stagg atleast..Parker, Thaiday, Hannant shouldn't be signed on large 3+ year deals aged 30+.) And if we still have Wallace in 2-3 years we're pretty screwed.

We need to find young blokes, 19-22 this year, and develop them into good footballers for 2015 and onwards..and for the love of god develop them in a position that suits them.

unbreaK

Juniors
To be honest, I hope there are far more changes from that by 2015 and we need to develop some young players. The average age of that team is 27, we'd probably have to replace half the team within 3 years (Hodges, Stagg atleast..Parker, Thaiday, Hannant shouldn't be signed on large 3+ year deals aged 30+.) And if we still have Wallace in 2-3 years we're pretty screwed.

We need to find young blokes, 19-22 this year, and develop them into good footballers for 2015 and onwards..and for the love of god develop them in a position that suits them.

100% Agree, I only posted that projected 2015 team because I know that's what it's going to be, our coach is too scared to make any big moves or drop any big players.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Big NO to Widdop. Like all the Storm players, they've been groomed to a very focussed set of parameters that only works if your side happens to have Smith, Cronk & Slater in it. Same with any props from them. In fact, the only players that I believe would have be transferrable to another club would be Hoffman & Chambers.

No props from Storm?!?!? I'd take Jesse Bromwich fo sho! He reminds me of Tamou but would be much cheaper.

Big Pete

Referee
I wouldn't be able to stop at one Storm player, especially if we're talking about their NYC side.

Matt Duffie (Hopefully the good version of him)
Jesse Bromwich
Tohu Harris
Kenny Bromwich
Denny Solomona
Richard Kennar
Matt McGahan
Matt Lodge

beads6

First Grade
We've either gotta find a gun playmaker or take the very best under 20's playmakers we can. No point picking up an average half. We already have 2 in Wallace and Prince.

Chainshada

Juniors
1. Denny Solomona
2. Dallin Watene Zelezniak
3. Josh Hoffman
4. Dale Copley
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Anthony Milford
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Fa'amanu Brown
10. Kenny Bromwich
11. Tohu harris
12. Alex Glenn (c)
13. Jai Arrow

14. Matt Gillett
15. Caleb Timu
16. Andrew Fifita
17. David Hala

And I would weep tears of joy in 2015.

Morkel

Juniors
No props from Storm?!?!? I'd take Jesse Bromwich fo sho! He reminds me of Tamou but would be much cheaper.

I'll pay Bromwich. Awesome player. There are plenty of decent players in our lower ranks, the problem is identifying the future stars and holding tight with them. Last year the Broncos realised that the U20's is useless for identifying or developing talent. That's why a bunch of them were sent to the Q-Cup instead. Players like Whitchurch look a lot better for it, so hopefully they're on the right track, and the identification of those that are most likely to perform in the top grade can become more accurate.

Would happily throw an absolute shitload at Carney but as stated above, don't think they'll let him go. Although, if a number of the allegations leveled at the Sharks are true, and the brand is seriously tarnished, he may be persuaded.

unbreaK

Juniors
I wouldn't mind making a run at one of the NYC players who hasn't got a shot in first-grade yet

(Milford and Keary come to mind)

Big Pete

Referee
How do you think the guys are performing in comparison to how much they're being paid? I'm going to simplify it with numbers

Corey Norman 5 (5)
Josh Hoffman 6 (6)
Jack Reed 4 (5)
Justin Hodges 5 (8)
Lachlan Maranta 4 (3)
Scott Prince 3 (5)
Peter Wallace 4 (7)
Ben Hannant 7 (8)
Andrew McCullough 5 (6)
Sam Thaiday 6 (8)
Josh McGuire 5 (6)
Alex Glenn 7 (7)
Matt Gillett 5 (6)
Corey Parker 6 (7)
Ben Hunt 4 (4)
Mitchell Dodds 3 (3)
Dunamis Lui 3 (3)
Scott Anderson 5 (5)
Jordan Kahu 3 (3)
David Stagg 4 (4)

Brackets indicate how much I believe they're making on the salary cap.

JT would probably be a (9) on that scale.

Morkel

Juniors
How do you think the guys are performing in comparison to how much they're being paid? I'm going to simplify it with numbers

Corey Norman 5 (5)
Josh Hoffman 6 (6) $250k ('13), $300k ('14+)
Jack Reed 4 (5) $150k
Justin Hodges 5 (8) $350k
Lachlan Maranta 4 (3)
Scott Prince 3 (5) $150k
Peter Wallace 4 (7)
Ben Hannant 7 (8) $350k
Andrew McCullough 5 (6)
Sam Thaiday 6 (8)
Josh McGuire 5 (6) $250k
Alex Glenn 7 (7)
Matt Gillett 5 (6)
Corey Parker 6 (7)
Ben Hunt 4 (4)
Mitchell Dodds 3 (3)
Dunamis Lui 3 (3)
Scott Anderson 5 (5)
Jordan Kahu 3 (3)
David Stagg 4 (4)

Brackets indicate how much I believe they're making on the salary cap.

JT would probably be a (9) on that scale.

Reported figures I've put in bold above. On the scale you've used, Thurston would be about a 17 :) We have heaps of mid-range players but no superstars. Note that the above don't include any cap-increase clauses, so potentially could be worth ~15% more. Interesting to see that Dugan, if he did come and the salary of ~$600k was correct, would have been our highest paid player.

Morkel

Juniors
Broncos are getting a lot of stick for their recruitment, but to be honest I've seen the reasoning in most of the decisions. One thing to note is that you can't keep them all, and determining who will be the best players in 1, 2, 5 years time is a gamble at best. Like I said above, sending the U20's players to Q-Cup instead is a smart move.

So who have we lost to other clubs that have really hurt? Here's my take on the ones I can think of:

* Dave Taylor: The Broncos didn't want to lose him but it may have been a good thing in the end. The problems that the Broncos identified with him are still yet to be rectified.

* Ben Te'o: I look at it this way. Parker, Thaiday & Glenn are better overall players. Te'o may be good in patches, especially impact-wise, but Gillett is at least on par in that respect, has better ball-playing ability, and is younger. Has a lot more potential and will only get better.

* Tariq Sims: His poor start this year aside, watching Tariq run around for the Cowboys when fit has been depressing. But gain, where would he have fit in? There was no way a player of his potential would have sat around in Q-Cup without being snapped up by another club, and, as with Te'o above, would have been down in the pecking order. The only possible way to keep him would have been to punt Te'o earlier, but he was still under contract. Or develop Tariq further as a prop. Also, if you go back to the time when he left, he was on-par with a bloke named Andrew Clayton. Both were U20's stars. Tariq could have ended up just the same. Clayton went to the Sharks but has never played a FG game. I don't even know where he is now.

* Beale: Was touted for a long time as a future Broncos star. Was in the system for years and being groomed, however he, like others, wasn't willing to bide his time. He has 10+ years left in the game, but couldn't wait a couple of years for Hodges to retire? Took the quick money and his development has gone backwards.

* Norman: Same as Beale, chasing the quick money. I don't think the Prince situation did as much harm as people are suggesting. He's not ready to play in the halves in FG and ideally would have been playing in Q-Cup with Hunt. And would have left anyway. It was lose-lose for us, we couldn't stifle our side with his limited vision, just so he doesn't go elsewhere.

* K Hunt & Folau: These were the two that hurt the most. But how on earth can you compete with million $ + contracts? We really should be going hard for Folau for next year, but rumour is the rubber salary-cap of the Bulldogs has him sewn up.

As for decisions that I don't agree with, they're more with selection than recruitment. As the RLeague mob will know, I've been pushing to have Norman & Hunt on the Q-Cup for a while now. As a unit, they should be sent to a club to work on their game, sharpen their skills, and develop a combination. Tell them that if they perform as their potential shows, they have life-long positions at the Broncos. But instead they were played out of position (Hunt), or before they were ready, and chances are we'll lose both. FFS, Baptiste should have been the bench half all last year.

unbreaK

Juniors
1. Hunt
2. Yow Yeh
3. Hodges
4. Beale
5. Folau
6. Wallace
7. Prince
8. Hannant
9. McCollough
10. Thaiday (c)
11. Glenn
12. Taylor
13. Parker

14. T'eo
15. T.Sims
16. McGuire
17. Gillett

Just sayin'

Morkel

Juniors
1. Hunt
2. Yow Yeh
3. Hodges
4. Beale
5. Folau
6. Wallace
7. Prince
8. Hannant
9. McCollough
10. Thaiday (c)
11. Glenn
12. Taylor
13. Parker

14. T'eo
15. T.Sims
16. McGuire
17. Gillett

Just sayin'

Making me cry. But how many back-rowers can you honestly fit in a squad? Should have jammed in 2 more and put Gillett & Glenn as the centres. Hodges to prop.

unbreaK

Juniors
Making me cry. But how many back-rowers can you honestly fit in a squad? Should have jammed in 2 more and put Gillett & Glenn as the centres. Hodges to prop.

Beale dropped, Glenn to left centre, T'eo to starting lineup, B.Hunt on to the bench. =P

whykickamoocow

Juniors
1. Hunt Boyd
2. Yow Yeh
3. Hodges
4. Beale Folau
5. Folau Hoffman
6. Wallace K.Hunt
7. Prince B.Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCollough
10. Thaiday (c) Leroyd-Lars
11. Glenn
12. Taylor Thaiday
13. Parker

14. T'eo
15. T.Sims
16. McGuire
17. Gillett
18. Taylor

Just sayin'

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry X-mas

Last edited:

jakepearce94

Juniors
100% Agree, I only posted that projected 2015 team because I know that's what it's going to be, our coach is too scared to make any big moves or drop any big players.
Hodges would be playing 4 though.

The best pivot off contract in the NRL is Gareth WIDDUP. He would be on my shopping list.
Never heard of those bloke before. heard of Gareth Widdop but not Gareth Widdup.
Te'o may be good in patches, especially impact-wise, but Gillett is at least on par in that respect, has better ball-playing ability, and is younger. Has a lot more potential and will only get better.
FFS, Baptiste should have been the bench half all last year.
you think gillett will only get better? he hasn't showed many signs of this in the last couple seasons, and i think you mean baptiste back up dummy half?

Latest posts