What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos targeting Jason Demetriou

Jubileeboy

First Grade
What I'd like is for any forum members with genuine information about what's going on with the takeover and the club in general to share the details. I don't want to hear that I should trust that everything will be alright just because someone says so based on their secret inside information.

I also don't want to read people making definitive statements about what's going to happen when they are just guessing ( I don't mind educated guesses if it's made clear it's just their take on things).

By all means share your thoughts and lets discuss but I think there is a real risk that without the actual details being shared us fans will be shafted again. We all need to be in a position to consider what the potential impacts on the clubs future may be.

For the record I personally don't believe that our position is as secure or as indispensable as some believe. I also think there is a sound business model for relocating St George and that there is also a sound business model for WIN to concentrate on an Illawarra club. I am not saying these things will happen but I am saying we should not ignore them.

Welcome to the 'FORUM'.
Maybe you should contact the club direct for the information you seek and not waste your time discussing things in a FORUM with other Dragons supporters?

grouch

First Grade
What I'd like is for any forum members with genuine information about what's going on with the takeover and the club in general to share the details. I don't want to hear that I should trust that everything will be alright just because someone says so based on their secret inside information.
I see you've met Barbrady

Carlton

Juniors
Welcome to the 'FORUM'.
Maybe you should contact the club direct for the information you seek and not waste your time discussing things in a FORUM with other Dragons supporters?

You're spot on its a forum and its were we should discuss issues. However, as you know there are posters on here that try to shut down any discussion by basically saying "you're wrong because I know something you don't know and I'm not going to tell you ". Makes you wonder sometimes whether its just the club speaking to try and stifle any debate.

And if it was so easy to get the information from the club we wouldn't have half the problems we do. This club works on non-information (unless you happen to be one of the blessed who wont share what they say they know).

Old Timer

Coach
Back on topic
I noted a press release the other day that said Justin Hodges is possibly coming on to the Broncos coaching staff.
If that is the case was it to replace Walters?
If Hodges agrees to take the job does that diminish their desire for JD?
Have to remember Hodges ia a "favourite son" of the Broncos so that could cause some issues for JD if he does go there.

blacksafake

First Grade
There is probably something going on behind the scenes or you would like to think that the club would make a positive statement to their "fans" along the lines of JD will be on the coaching staff for season 2017.
Smells of Mullholland all over again.Silence then next thing gooooone!

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Sometimes you whether wonder it would be better to
have the old style Captain/Coach. League, union and cricket have all these coaching and high performance staff and the
overall standard has dropped.
I am sure that players like Smith, Cronk and Thurston could easily handle both roles if they had a couple of good retired players as assistants.
Do you think that any of the current Dragons players could handle both roles. I nominate Jason Nightingale
who has played according to
his interview positions in both the backs and forwards.

Coffs dragon

Bench
There is probably something going on behind the scenes or you would like to think that the club would make a positive statement to their "fans" along the lines of JD will be on the coaching staff for season 2017.
I reckon you are on the money and the silence is whilst management look up from their book of excuses before a announcement of complete waffle & spin. Stand by.....

denis preston

First Grade

There is , Desi's coming with his team but in 2018.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Back on topic
I noted a press release the other day that said Justin Hodges is possibly coming on to the Broncos coaching staff.
If that is the case was it to replace Walters?
If Hodges agrees to take the job does that diminish their desire for JD?
Have to remember Hodges ia a "favourite son" of the Broncos so that could cause some issues for JD if he does go there.

Not sure OT...report I saw was he was just an assistant coach to the U/20 side...personally don't think Hodges would have the goods to ward off someone like JD

Old Timer

Coach
Not sure OT...report I saw was he was just an assistant coach to the U/20 side...personally don't think Hodges would have the goods to ward off someone like JD
Hi BSE
Thanks for the heads up wasn't sure what his role would be.
But I still think they have a chosen path for him and their loyalty to their own would be of a concern in 2-3 years.
By that I mean Hodges in the lower grades learning his trade whilst Bennett has JD for the corresponding period and then flick JD for Hodges.
TBH the way Bennett's career has gone in recent years, I'm not too sure he can teach JD too much re the game itself.
Bennett's style of play is still similar to when he had us and it looks old hat compared to up and coming sides like the Raiders, Panthers & TigPies.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I can't wait for our new, experienced and exciting assistant coaches with no affiliation to the club who will bring fresh ideas and mentoring skills to be appointed.....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/10/27/dragons_grant_demetr.af_news.html

Dragons Grant Demetriou Release
Thu 27th October, 05:00PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced that Assistant Coach Jason Demetriou has been granted an early release from his coaching contract to take up a multi-year offer with the Brisbane Broncos.

“Jason was a significant positive contributor to our Club's 2016 season, we are sorry to see him depart,” said Dragons CEO Peter Doust.

“He was a key part of our NRL Coaching Staff and also coached the Illawarra Cutters to great success.

“We certainly understand the opportunity presented to him and we have not wished to stand in his way, he leaves with our thanks and best wishes for the future.”

Head Coach Paul McGregor added:

“Jason was an integral part of our NRL Coaching Staff and deserves every accolade for what was achieved with the Illawarra Cutters this season,” said McGregor.

"I thank him for his contributions and support throughout 2016 and whilst disappointed, I understand his decision given the long-term contract offered by the Broncos.”

Demetriou departs the Dragons immediately and will relocate to Brisbane in the coming weeks with his family, grateful for his time at the Club.

“I have had a great time here at the Dragons as well as the Illawarra Cutters and I would really like to thank the Club and everyone involved for the opportunity to come here and for also understanding and respecting my request for an early release to take up the multi-year offer at the Broncos,” said Demetriou.

“This opportunity was not something I expected or went looking for as I was already working on plans for the Dragons for 2017 when the approach came and after much thought and discussion with my family, I decided that this was the best thing for us.

“I leave with many great friends and memories and wish everyone every success moving forward.”

No decisions have been made as yet with respect to Demetriou’s replacement.