What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos V St Helens match thread

ozbash

Referee
Rocco said:
st. helens can claim they are the best rugby leaguye team in the world but if they play in the NRL they would be guaranteed a wooden spoon

bullsh*t.

Lowdown

Juniors
Rocco said:
st. helens can claim they are the best rugby leaguye team in the world but if they play in the NRL they would be guaranteed a wooden spoon

Well - then you guys just got your pants pulled down by the wooden spooners...:whistle

jimmyo

Juniors
Lowdown said:
...WCC means more to the English than it does the Australians. A Fact not in dispute....

The NRL is indisputably the strongest comp in the world.
According to whom? Gus Gould? There's plenty of dispute, particularly considerig a UK team just won the WCC. That's the great thing about sport - opinions differ.

People now want to bring up this idea of 'strongest competition in the world' because the result of the WCC doesn't suit them. That's just speculation and SOUR GRAPES!

Mr Saab

Referee
jimmyo said:
According to whom? Gus Gould? There's plenty of dispute, particularly considerig a UK team just won the WCC. That's the great thing about sport - opinions differ.

People now want to bring up this idea of 'strongest competition in the world' because the result of the WCC doesn't suit them. That's just speculation and SOUR GRAPES!

Are you saying the ESL is equal or perhaps better than the NRL

Shorty

Staff member
jimmyo said:

Settle down,have a game where both teams are on even par before you start thinking St Helens could do it in the NRL.
They're both different,come over here,when it's Summer 30+ degrees and smack bang in the middle of our premiership and then see if they can pack a punch.
They won...they did they played better than the Broncos and they deserved the win,but it's not exactly a realistic measure.
If the english teams played as well as they did in WCC then they'd be dominating the other Rep occasions.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I think that everyone (including the english) know that the NRL is a superior comp but it doesn't reflect well losing the WCC all the time. Especially when Brisbane made a genuine effort to take it out this year.

jimmyo

Juniors
My personal opinion is that most ESL clubs are at about Premier League level, but that doesn't mean the top few couldn't make it here. It's speculation really isn't it...

Mr Saab

Referee
jimmyo said:
My personal opinion is that most ESL clubs are at about Premier League level, but that doesn't mean the top few couldn't make it here. It's speculation really isn't it...

No no no....this is not about a certain few teams that might "make it" in the NRL
This is about comparig the 2 comps as a whole.
NRL.......................daylight

Shorty

Staff member
Walt Flanigan said:
I think that everyone (including the english) know that the NRL is a superior comp but it doesn't reflect well losing the WCC all the time. Especially when Brisbane made a genuine effort to take it out this year.
My thoughts exactly,but I think it will become more popular.

Walt Flanigan

Referee

I don't think that's the case at all. The top 4 of the ESL could match it with the NRL, it's the rest that are at a PL level if that.

jimmyo

Juniors
How many of the Australian teams could go into the ESL, play in their conditions for a year and finish in the top half? They'd have to change their whole playing style. It's all opinion, which needs to seperated from the fact that England regulary dominates the WCC.

It's also a fact that Australia regularly dominates the tri-nations, which proves we're a stronger RL nation. I haven't seen any proof to date that our competition is far superior to the ESL despite what the weight of opinion may be.

ozbash

Referee
Walt Flanigan said:

It was the sixth time in the last seven WCC matches the English team have triumphed.

jed

First Grade
Even GB can beat Australia once every few years - I was there last November :(

Canard

Immortal
Walt Flanigan said:
Yeah and what is Great Britains record against Australia like?

But you cant use those games to compare the Comps, because all you are judging it on is the strenght of British players (what abou all the kiws, aussies and pac islanders that play) I mean thats like saying that because England are mediocre at soccer than the Premeir League isnt one of the best comps in the world.

For the record of course the NRL is stronger, but the ESL is getting there I mean Wigan have a pretty awesome team on paper this year yet they aint exactly killing it (not yet anyway).

ocko

juniors
just watching the replay now on fox- eddie hemmings said "(insert broncos player here) said he's thinking of coming over to the super league to finish his career...now pardon me, but we are past the stage of wanting to people to come here to finish their career"

:lol: yeah, whatever you say ed...

jimmyo

Juniors
ocko said:
just watching the replay now on fox- eddie hemmings said "(insert broncos player here) said he's thinking of coming over to the super league to finish his career...now pardon me, but we are past the stage of wanting to people to come here to finish their career"

Yeh I laughed at that as well - classic commentry obviously meant for us Aussie viewers

jed

First Grade
ocko said:

There is a lot of talk at the moment about reducing the number of non-British players that are allowed to play over there. Some of the players that have gone over have made a genuine impact, but the majority of Aussies in recent times that have gone over have been at the end of their careers, allegedly chasing the big paycheck to end their careers, and thus keeping an up & coming Brit from getting a spot in the side - that's what they're looking to stop

Latest posts