What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos V St Helens match thread

Charge

Juniors
Cowgirl86 said:
The thing that annoys me is St Helens...while the better team...have awful moments.
Broncos first try...that was awful how can you not catch that?
Ironically saying this if they had played Storm,they would have embarrassed the sh*t out of them.

They have always been like that though, they can score a try that shouldn't be on and then bomb a dead cert.

Cujo

Juniors
Cowgirl86 said:
The thing that annoys me is St Helens...while the better team...have awful moments.
Broncos first try...that was awful how can you not catch that?
Ironically saying this if they had played Storm,they would have embarrassed the sh*t out of them.

If I was you I'd drop a note to the management at Storm suggesting they try a little harder next year:)

miccle

Bench
Gutted by our performance today - but that is to take NOTHING away from the St Helens side at all. We made a few shocking mistakes, but not many - and it was definitely a case of the better team winning on the day, rather than us losing it. The Saints definitely took their opportunities a LOT better than we did.

This loss actually hurts - I didn't OVERLY expect a win, but I wanted one nonetheless. What can you do though, I guess? This match has definitely rocketed me firmly into 2007 and I think all Broncos fans realise the premiership win was definitely "then" as opposed to "now".

Congrats Saints fans on a wonderful achievement - enjoy it and celebrate it with your club. Well deserved, and I hope the Broncs get a chance to fight it out with another Pommy team next year.

j5o6hn

Juniors
I enjoyed the game best part of the whole thing was it was shown live in Perth on 9 includeing the chat at the end,I ws amazed it is 9 Perth after all.
I hope it means things might be changing

JW

Coach
Bah, I always feel shyte after a loss. Hell I get cranky sometimes when our kids go down in trial games. We played alright I guess, but the Saints obviously had more in tank at the back end and it showed. Quite pleased with our defence overall, apart from a few brain explosions which can be expected in what, the 1st real hitout of the year against a good side like the Saints.

Nonetheless, this is more than made up for by the fact that the footy's back!

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
our kick defences were not up to it. Brain exploding penalty give aways at crucial times costed us a lot.

But kudos to St Helens. Played well today. Better than the Broncos.
We needed to capitalize on their mistakes but couldn't.
Need to find our form back.

jimmyo

Juniors
Great to see league back on telly!

Maybe at better way to measure the strength of the ESL vs the NRL would be for the 2 bottom teams to play off? Souths would be great representatives for Australia...

Lowdown

Juniors
Whilst the Brcons lost - I saw no reason to be dissapointed. Its basically a trial match with a cup awarded at the end. Its significance is more to the UK Super League than to the Australian teams - and that is a bit of a shame. But - it is Brisbane'e first major hit out. Its played at St Helen's backyard in the freezing cold. The major observatgion was that the Broncs simply ran out of steam as the game crept on. A few more trials and they should be back to their best in the first few weeks of the season.

I'd like to see how St Helens would do..at Suncorp...before their season had begun (in the QLD summer as opposed to the English winter) - I suspect things would have been very very different.

Kudos to St Helens though - Its healthy for the concept to see the UK clubs continue to be successful - but they did play well in the latter stages of that game.

jimmyo

Juniors
Firstly, I see alot of people denigrating the WCC now that an Australian team has lost - thats just SOUR GRAPES! The WCC means just as much to everyone down here as it does the SL fans and players - why else would Bennet send that squad? We all think our League is better and we want to prove it, personally I care ALOT! It's all very well to say St Helen's wouldn't cope with a full NRL season, but where's the proof? The fact remains, they beat our premiers. Conversely, for all the reasons the whingers have mentioned (played in the UK before our season), this game doesn't prove that the ESL is superior to the NRL. Equally, if the game was played in Australia during ESL preseason not many conclusions could be drawn.

Secondly I think it proves Brisbane weren't the best side in the NRL last year - the minor premiership is a better reflection - maybe we should look at sending the minor premiers to play in the WCC each year. While the GF is a great event, it is a one-off game in which anything can happen. In the tough weekly grind of the NRL the real cream rises to the top.

Redback71

First Grade
what i find even more amazing is how the saints have lost all there games so far for the season, i was expecting the broncos to win easily. this could be the game that turns the season around for st. helens.

Redback71

First Grade
Firstly, I see alot of people denigrating the WCC now that an Australian team has lost - thats just SOUR GRAPES! The WCC means just as much to everyone down here as it does the SL fans and players - why else would Bennet send that squad? We all think our League is better and we want to prove it, personally I care ALOT! It's all very well to say St Helen's wouldn't cope with a full NRL season, but where's the proof? The fact remains, they beat our premiers. Conversely, for all the reasons the whingers have mentioned (played in the UK before our season), this game doesn't prove that the ESL is superior to the NRL. Equally, if the game was played in Australia during ESL preseason not many conclusions could be drawn.

Secondly I think it proves Brisbane weren't the best side in the NRL last year - the minor premiership is a better reflection - maybe we should look at sending the minor premiers to play in the WCC each year. While the GF is a great event, it is a one-off game in which anything can happen. In the tough weekly grind of the NRL the real cream rises to the top.

the game is played at the wrong time of year also. it should be played straight after the grandfinals when both teams are at there peek and have all there players all deck from thruought the season.

this season as there are no rep games, there is no excuse not to.

Mr Saab

Referee
jimmyo said:

what a great idea that would be :roll:

Cream rises to the top does it? If the cream was so "rich" why is it that in the 9 yrs the NRL has been in existance, only 3 Minor premiers have gone on and won the comp.

1998 Broncos
2000 Broncos
2003 Panthers

Lowdown

Juniors
jimmyo said:
Firstly, I see alot of people denigrating the WCC now that an Australian team has lost - thats just SOUR GRAPES!

Not really - I was a bit ambivalent about the result. Its just a fact: WCC means more to the English than it does the Australians. A Fact not in dispute.

The NRL is indisputably the strongest comp in the world. Brisbane have nothing to prove as they've beaten the best of the best already. WCC is an exhibition game, with a trophy that is a 'nice to have in the cabinet' - but it ranks well below any silverware up for grabs in Australia - minor premiers, premiers, Origin, Tri-nations.

Why did Bennet send a full strength squad? Why not - its great prep for the upcoming NRL season, and its good for the game. It would have been poor form to send a second string squad, and would have brought the entire concept into disrepute.

Rocco

Juniors
st. helens can claim they are the best rugby leaguye team in the world but if they play in the NRL they would be guaranteed a wooden spoon

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Rocco said:
st. helens can claim they are the best rugby leaguye team in the world but if they play in the NRL they would be guaranteed a wooden spoon

They'd be able to easily take a number of NRL teams.

Latest posts