What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brooks

Shredder

Juniors
Its the consistency thats missing across the park. You could count on a couple of fingers the players that played consistently all year. Its f**king ridiculous at this level.

I mean if we played 80% of the quality from the first half a dozen games all season we would be sitting at the top of the ladder.

Ivan said at the start of the season that consistency would be an issue with such a new team - lets hope he sorts it in the off season.

We have shown in glimpses this season that we can compete with and beat anyone on our day.

Shredder

Juniors
05 he may well be one of the best pkayers in our team, but that still doesnt mean hes good enough.

The fact he has been so long in grade and their are many people still wondering about him shows there are issues there - and I agree with Stryker - so we must both be delusional. Brooks doesnt often take a game by the balls - and thats kinda his job man.

What Matty Johns said:

No player is gifted control of the football team - they must take control. They are vocal, they are dominant, they blow up if they don't get the quality possessions. This is the next step for Brooks.

Well seeing as we are stuck with Josh and won't sign Adam, could the ageing Josh move to 1st receiver with 7 on his back and Brooks move to the running 5/8 who: takes control, becomes more vocal and dominant, who blows up when he doesn't get quality possessions?

Tiger05

First Grade
05 he may well be one of the best pkayers in our team, but that still doesnt mean hes good enough.

The fact he has been so long in grade and their are many people still wondering about him shows there are issues there - and I agree with Stryker - so we must both be delusional. Brooks doesnt often take a game by the balls - and thats kinda his job man.

This is fair criticism. Stryker is to me stating that Brooks was to blame for the loss last night. Robbie was so poor out there and the whole team couldn't control the ball which meant Brooks honestly didn't get that many chances. It wasn't because he didn't go looking for it.

If I just look at Brooks game this year I think he is one of the better halves in the comp. Maybe he needs to improve to get into the Thurston and Johns level but he is a decent halfback and you don't need an immortal in that position to win the comp. People for instance look at Cleary as somehow filling that role but he doesn't seem to be doing that either when I've seen him play.

I suppose to me it isn't the halfbacks job to win the game for the team. He can't do everything. I view the whole team as being important and I don't see Brooks as the problem. He hasn't had that many poor games this year and he has had a lot of good games.

It had nothing to do with game management. It had everything to do with Cleary not being able to create anything.
I think 05 you miss the point with these guys, having better game management in-turn helps and allows them to create something for the guys outside them but managing their forwards as is their role.

I don't see why Brooks has to dominate every play. He just has to do his job well.
He doesn't have to dominate every play, when x and y take for example the 1st 2 hit ups, Brooks has a role where he is expected to manage the next play, or the one after that. Or he sees that the opposition centre is limping badly, he directs play that way, he forgets the 2nd hit up, he takes control.
That is creating a role and managing his players. That in turn is moving from doing his job well which is the expectation of every player playing 1st grade (with the exception of DMZ) to being a standout controlling footballer, week in week out.

stryker

First Grade
This is honestly delusional. This is blaming one of the best players in our team over the course of the season when other players haven't played at all well. It's hard to play great footy when your dummy half thinks it's his game to win even when he is playing crap.
Lol keep accepting mediocrity.

Pezz70

Juniors
Robbie ‘two steps’ Farah is killing Brooks game. It is especially obvious inside the attacking 20, Brooks can’t get a run at the line cause they are on top of him by the time he is getting the ball. Pre Farah Brooks kicking game in the attacking 20 was bordering on superb, now he is struggling to get the ball in to the in goal. Don’t get me wrong Farah brings some good things to the side, but he needs to remember he is no longer steering the ship. He needs to focus on giving Brooks and Benji quick, quality ball and not worrying about trying to set the plays himself in the attacking 20

Vic Mackey

Referee
That is not correct. Moses was the attacking weapon but Brooks was to run the team.
To be honest I dont like him. We have spent multiple millions on his development, paying him overs for the majority of his tenure and he still cant close out a win consistantly. He still goes missing in big games. He still has poor lateral defence. He still throws panic passes when in the opposition 20. He still has an erratic kicking game. Nothing personal...just dont like him as a halfback in my team.

Brooks allowed himself to be dominated by Moses, it’s obviously a personality trait that’s been there since they were kids. Now Mitch is over stinking up Parra and guiding them to a wooden spoon. His 2014-17 was inconsistent and mainly poor, no arguments.

However if we’re just talking this year it’s hard to say he hasn’t been in the top 5 halves in the comp. You’ve admitted you don’t like him and that seems to be clouding your judgement. To say he wasn’t trying last night makes it hard to take anything you say seriously on the bloke. If he wasn’t trying he wouldn’t have put his body on the line multiple times to bring down a rampaging Sims.

I certainly don’t think he’s complete and deserves criticism. Last night he was better then Benji and robbie who are meant to be our experienced leaders. Early in the game we were camped in their 20m zone. 4 errors, 1 from Fonua, 1 from Eisenhuth, 1 from ET (all basic drops) and Farah’s stupid early kick. Then Benji dropped it but we luckily got 6 again.

There was a set of 6 in the second half in the red zone where he didn’t touch it once cause Robbie was playing short for himself, like he always has.

I’m happy with Brooks development this year, considering the chopping and changing around him I don’t think we could have asked anymore.

stryker

First Grade
This is fair criticism. Stryker is to me stating that Brooks was to blame for the loss last night. Robbie was so poor out there and the whole team couldn't control the ball which meant Brooks honestly didn't get that many chances. It wasn't because he didn't go looking for it.

If I just look at Brooks game this year I think he is one of the better halves in the comp. Maybe he needs to improve to get into the Thurston and Johns level but he is a decent halfback and you don't need an immortal in that position to win the comp. People for instance look at Cleary as somehow filling that role but he doesn't seem to be doing that either when I've seen him play.

I suppose to me it isn't the halfbacks job to win the game for the team. He can't do everything. I view the whole team as being important and I don't see Brooks as the problem. He hasn't had that many poor games this year and he has had a lot of good games.
What is your definition of Brook's role in this team?

stryker

First Grade
Brooks allowed himself to be dominated by Moses, it’s obviously a personality trait that’s been there since they were kids. Now Mitch is over stinking up Parra and guiding them to a wooden spoon. His 2014-17 was inconsistent and mainly poor, no arguments.

However if we’re just talking this year it’s hard to say he hasn’t been in the top 5 halves in the comp. You’ve admitted you don’t like him and that seems to be clouding your judgement. To say he wasn’t trying last night makes it hard to take anything you say seriously on the bloke. If he wasn’t trying he wouldn’t have put his body on the line multiple times to bring down a rampaging Sims.

I certainly don’t think he’s complete and deserves criticism. Last night he was better then Benji and robbie who are meant to be our experienced leaders. Early in the game we were camped in their 20m zone. 4 errors, 1 from Fonua, 1 from Eisenhuth, 1 from ET (all basic drops) and Farah’s stupid early kick. Then Benji dropped it but we luckily got 6 again.

There was a set of 6 in the second half in the red zone where he didn’t touch it once cause Robbie was playing short for himself, like he always has.

I’m happy with Brooks development this year, considering the chopping and changing around him I don’t think we could have asked anymore.
He made a couple of good front on tackles. That is the best part of his game. He has always had terrific front on technique. This hasnt improved this year, it was always part of his game. He did not try hard enough in attack. He sat back and let others do his work and they failed. I agree with you here but at least they were trying to win. He needs to DEMAND THE BALL. Ill gaurantee you all attacking play comes through him at training. Then we go out on the field and it doesnt. Now you can blame everyone else but at the end of the day it falls on him. He allowed it to happen.

super_coach

First Grade
Brooks along with 16 other players was poor lsat night. When your completion rate in the 1st half was about 20% you never going to beat anyone even if Brooks had a blinder.

Your also got ask yourself how did the current SOO no7 go for Penrith yesterday. On these forums we continue to look at individuals in isolation yet it’s a team game

Tiger05

First Grade
What is your definition of Brook's role in this team?

Good question.

I'll break it down defensively first. He should make his tackles wherever possible and be busy in defence.

Offensively I expect him to create attacking plays with his passing and running game. I expect him to get involved in key moments throughout the game. I expect him to have a good kicking game.

There are a bunch of halves in the game at the moment. Moses, Munster, Maloney, Widdop, Ben Hunt, MIlford, Pearce, Thurston, Cronk etc. I think Brooks has done really well this year and I don't see him as a problem within our team at the moment. To me focusing on Brooks now is the wrong approach. We need to judge the team as a whole and see what we need to do to improve. The idea to me is to rank our key problem areas and sort those areas out in importance. I think Brooks and even our halves aren't the biggest issue in the club. I wouldn't be looking to replace Brooks at any time soon.

stryker

First Grade
Good question.

I'll break it down defensively first. He should make his tackles wherever possible and be busy in defence.

Offensively I expect him to create attacking plays with his passing and running game. I expect him to get involved in key moments throughout the game. I expect him to have a good kicking game.

There are a bunch of halves in the game at the moment. Moses, Munster, Maloney, Widdop, Ben Hunt, MIlford, Pearce, Thurston, Cronk etc. I think Brooks has done really well this year and I don't see him as a problem within our team at the moment. To me focusing on Brooks now is the wrong approach. We need to judge the team as a whole and see what we need to do to improve. The idea to me is to rank our key problem areas and sort those areas out in importance. I think Brooks and even our halves aren't the biggest issue in the club. I wouldn't be looking to replace Brooks at any time soon.
I think youve described a 5/8th there and that is where Id play Luke. He doesnt get involved enough to be the controlling half. We need someone to do all the boring work like secure field position, identify and work over opposition players who are struggling by sending continuous traffic at them and plan ahead and adapt our plays to the way the game is going. Also keeping in touch with the trainers and monitor the flow of play, speeding it up and slowing it down as required. Its not flashy stuff, but essential all the same. Its what NC can offer the team. Luke can then be freed up to play whats in front of him and show his skill. Brooks and Moses were always played the wrong way around IMO. I dont know when it was first decided he was a halfback but they got it wrong.

gordsy

Juniors
Its the consistency thats missing across the park. You could count on a couple of fingers the players that played consistently all year. Its f**king ridiculous at this level.

I mean if we played 80% of the quality from the first half a dozen games all season we would be sitting at the top of the ladder.

Ivan said at the start of the season that consistency would be an issue with such a new team - lets hope he sorts it in the off season.

We have shown in glimpses this season that we can compete with and beat anyone on our day.
On that front this is why I think Cleary is a rubbish coach. He has f#$ked us with signing players that aren't suited to where we are as a club. Huge money deals for Packer , Reynolds, Mybe all on long term contracts. We recruit like these positions are just needing an upgrade and we'll be top 4 Instead of realising we have holes all over and need solid players across the park rather than superstars in a few keys positions.

Shredder

Juniors
This thread will continue until round 1 next year (and then some).

For the record:
- I think this has been Brooks best year so far
- I think its still not good enough.

I reckon hes a 6 more than a 7 and I think he has a 7 on his back because Moses was more a 6 through juniors. Im one of the guys thinking that he will do better as a 6 and will work well with Nathan Cleary.

Its presence that he is missing - yeah he pulls of some big defensive hits but he doesnt control the team and THAT is his job. Either he isnt making himself heard or he is being ignored, but either way, its not great.

Russell Coight

Juniors
I think youve described a 5/8th there and that is where Id play Luke. He doesnt get involved enough to be the controlling half. We need someone to do all the boring work like secure field position, identify and work over opposition players who are struggling by sending continuous traffic at them and plan ahead and adapt our plays to the way the game is going. Also keeping in touch with the trainers and monitor the flow of play, speeding it up and slowing it down as required. Its not flashy stuff, but essential all the same. Its what NC can offer the team. Luke can then be freed up to play whats in front of him and show his skill. Brooks and Moses were always played the wrong way around IMO. I dont know when it was first decided he was a halfback but they got it wrong.

Now this is where I can agree with you, Brooks has never striked me as a game manager but is more suited to the running five eight, but the truth is...who else do we have? Hence why Brooks is being groomed into that position.

If we can get cleary then that'd solve everything but for now, hes the best option we have

stryker

First Grade
Now this is where I can agree with you, Brooks has never striked me as a game manager but is more suited to the running five eight, but the truth is...who else do we have? Hence why Brooks is being groomed into that position.

If we can get cleary then that'd solve everything but for now, hes the best option we have
Yes i agree. The reason this debate started was because some thought Cleary and Brooks are the same type of player and Nathan wasnt worth chasing and i think they are chalk and cheese and he is absolutely worth pursuing. We need him.