What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brooks

Tiger05

First Grade
Seriously guys how good is he going at the moment. I honestly am struggling to think of a better half in the comp. I realise there aren't many top halves at the moment but Brooks is killing it.

I think the Souths halves are both better in different ways. Munster is a gun. The rorters halves are good but I don't think they are as good as Brooks is now. They have a much better team around them.

I should add that Benji has been on fire this season as well.

Tigerm

First Grade
Andrew Johns said last night in the after match discussions, that he didn't expect any half to start excelling until at least 26, because they have to learn there trade. Brooksie is 24 atm, so he is just starting to come to terms with it all. Prob need to keep Benji around as a halves mentor after he retires. Which I think will be end of this season.

The unknown

Juniors
The thing with Brooksy is, the media put him on this insane pedastool that he was the next Joey Johns after his debut. We were all disappointed when he didn't reach that level.. Not his fault obviously, he just wasn't as good as what the media made him out to be

He is definitely better than average, but there is certain aspects he needs to improve if he wants to be a star

Tiger Ted

Bench
Andrew Johns said last night in the after match discussions, that he didn't expect any half to start excelling until at least 26, because they have to learn there trade. Brooksie is 24 atm, so he is just starting to come to terms with it all. Prob need to keep Benji around as a halves mentor after he retires. Which I think will be end of this season.
Benji isn’t going anywhere when he retires & he already has a role as mentor for all our halves from Brooks to our junior rep cup halves.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Benji gave Brooks a massive wrap on MMM after the game. Said he stepped back and let Luke control the whole match. He’s really growing as a footballer.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Brooks is a confidence player, perhaps of the like I have never seen before - he is a shy sort of lad and when things are going well he is like a pig in shit, and when they are not going well, he can be more quiet than when I have *** in the back of a taxi.

I think once we make the 8 and play in a few finals games, he can see he has the ability to take his game to the next level and he will only grow from there.

Benji will definitely play on next year (we would not let Grub go otherwise), and I think there are some exciting times ahead. Lessssgooo!

Pezz70

Juniors
I don’t think I need to comment on this thread :joy:.

Maguire has been able to bring Brooks out of his shell. His defence was on the improve last year but this year he has been taking on anyone that runs at him and has been pretty bloody good.

The improvements in his attacking game have been phenomenal. We make the finals series my prediction is Brooksy will be outstanding. I love that he is running the ball to the line consistently. I see him as the best halfback in the game at the moment, mainly due to his consistency, especially in a team of practical nobodies. Our forwards are getting better and better too, we will see it comethrough in Brooks game

WA Tiger

Bench
As I pride myself on not or at least trying not to repeat myself over and over on something especially when everyone knows my views anyway...for the last two weeks, I believe that if points were given to each spine player in every team and totalled -our spine would come out on top...that includes Brooke’s who I think would get the top marks for halfback..although as you know I believe his final test of winning or losing a crucial game under real pressure is yet to come and I believe will come before the finals start.I will cheer for him if he succeeds at that time if he doesn’t none of this good form will mean much

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
ps ...I havnt seen Brookes win a last minute game under duress or otherwise this year by drop kicking or any other method ...therein lies my concern.....Great players seek those opportunity’s and have already succeeded in their mind before it happens.. ..However .If Benji has stated that he for the first time let Brooke’s run the whole game against the cowboys then perhaps he is ready

WA Tiger

Bench
Ps As an aside..The fact Benji allowed Brooke’s to run the show reinforces my high regard for Benji...who else of his stature would do that for their half.No wonder Reynolds is out of there

stryker

First Grade
Its about time he steps up. He has been telling us for 4 years that this is his team yet failed to act accordingly. He has been going ok lately. Nothing too great but not poor.

The unknown

Juniors
Its about time he steps up. He has been telling us for 4 years that this is his team yet failed to act accordingly. He has been going ok lately. Nothing too great but not poor.

Yeah pretty much my opinion, doing his job but nothing too flashy. I still think behind a really good team he would excel

Tiger05

First Grade
Guys - he was Dally M half of the year last year. He is playing just as well if not better now. I have also criticized him for some poor options this year but he has come good. Let's see if he continues playing to this level.

He is our best player. Matterson is up there as well but Brooks is in a more critical position.

WA Tiger

Bench
Guys - he was Dally M half of the year last year. He is playing just as well if not better now. I have also criticized him for some poor options this year but he has come good. Let's see if he continues playing to this level.

He is our best player. Matterson is up there as well but Brooks is in a more critical position.
. He’s playing better now and it’s for the whole game ...and there’s variation - which is all good...just for the last two games..somethings happened.Dunno what. The above still applies tho

WA Tiger

Bench
I think that was a sympathy vote last year...Or the judges were too busy to have a real good look and they just had to pick a name ...haha

The unknown

Juniors
I think that was a sympathy vote last year...Or the judges were too busy to have a real good look and they just had to pick a name ...haha

No last year he was genuinely good the 1st half of the year. Talked up for origin which was imo completely warranted, but of couese was never going to get the nod over golden boy Cleary. The 2nd half of the year he sort of fell into a hole

This year seems to be the reverse. Bad 1st half but seems to be getting into some hot form at the right time

WA Tiger

Bench
No last year he was genuinely good the 1st half of the year. Talked up for origin which was imo completely warranted, but of couese was never going to get the nod over golden boy Cleary. The 2nd half of the year he sort of fell into a hole

This year seems to be the reverse. Bad 1st half but seems to be getting into some hot form at the right time
Your right

macnaz

Staff member
It's funny how we expect so much from Brooksie .. but when you compare him to players on twice his salary such as DCE ,Ash Tayler , Ben Hunt and Cleary who are BIG name players I think his performances have been far more consistent and valuable then the 4 mentioned. If Brooks was a Queenslander he would be playing origin .
Yes like Farah and Benji he has mistakes but his positives outshine them by some margin.
He is a Weststiger through and through and I'm grateful he stayed at the club he loves and the club chose him over the merkin Moses.

gordsy

Juniors
It's funny how we expect so much from Brooksie .. but when you compare him to players on twice his salary such as DCE ,Ash Tayler , Ben Hunt and Cleary who are BIG name players I think his performances have been far more consistent and valuable then the 4 mentioned. If Brooks was a Queenslander he would be playing origin .
Yes like Farah and Benji he has mistakes but his positives outshine them by some margin.
He is a Weststiger through and through and I'm grateful he stayed at the club he loves and the club chose him over the merkin Moses.
DCE maybe he was overpaid then but he is good value at the moment. The best were desperation money signings and those clubs were farked in the head for paying them that much.
I don't doubt Brooks is a good player but I doubt he is an elite player.

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't doubt Brooks is a good player but I doubt he is an elite player.

Maybe but there are very few halves that are elite players. Morgan, DCE, Munster & Maloney are about the only halves that meet that category and Munster is the only one I consider who performs like an elite player consistently and currently.

I'd have Brooks over basically every half in the comp excluding Munster. The Souths halves are guns but I don't see them as elite players either.

The Turd, Ponga every so often, Munster and Tommy Turbo are about the only elite players I can think of right now.

I think the issue for Brooks is consistency. He is really good but he has some bad patches throughout the season.

Latest posts