What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brookvale Oval holds only 13,000?

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I work with a typical Manly fan. Lives on the northern beaches about 10 minutes from Brookie. Has been to 3 swans games and two waratahs games this year. Only when some business relation has paid his way. Hasn't been to a Manly game in 10 years. Only ever talks to you about football when he over hears that Manly have beaten your team in the general office conversation. When Manly knocked Souths out of the finals last year, he didn't know until he saw it on the front of the "Manly daily" later that week. So then he brought the manly daily in to the office and left it on my desk the next day.

I'll give it to him on Monday but he won't give a shit. If Manly get knocked out next week he'll shrug his shoulders and watch something else on grand final day.

He's the same as 90% of the Northern beaches. In my experience, the most avid Manly fans I know, live outside of the northern beaches. Most likely, they were the ones who were there last night. The ones that live on the Beaches wont come out to watch Manly, but they will go to the SFS / SCG to watch the Swans / waratahs / cricket.

Strange mob.

This is all time NRL records:
Highest Crowds (1957-2014)107999Melbourne v St George Illawarra Stadium Australia26-Sep-1999104583 (DH)Parramatta v St George Illawarra
Manly v Newcastle
Stadium Australia06-Mar-199994277Brisbane v Sydney Roosters Stadium Australia27-Aug-200090414Newcastle v Parramatta Stadium Australia30-Sep-200182976Canterbury v Melbourne Stadium Australia30-Sep-201282538Parramatta v Melbourne Stadium Australia04-Oct-200982453North Queensland v Wests Tigers Stadium Australia02-Oct-200582334Sydney Roosters v St George Illawarra Stadium Australia03-Oct-201082127Bulldogs v Sydney Roosters Stadium Australia03-Oct-200481988New Zealand v Manly Stadium Australia02-Oct-201181491Sydney Roosters v Manly Stadium Australia06-Oct-201381392Manly v Melbourne Stadium Australia30-Sep-200781166Sydney Roosters v Penrith Stadium Australia05-Oct-200380388Manly v Melbourne Stadium Australia05-Oct-200880130New Zealand v Sydney Roosters Stadium Australia06-Oct-200279609Brisbane v Melbourne Stadium Australia01-Oct-200678056St George v Souths S.C.G.18-Sep-1965

We have no fans.... Yet your biggest crowd was in 1965. 25k last night. Surely if you have so many fans they would show up to a game only a short distance away. Oh that's right, you have lots of members who aren't allowed to enter a stadium. Cats, Dogs, Birds, Fish.....

All of our big crowds were Grand Finals (except the double header). All except one were against out of Sydney teams. The other one was against a Sydney team who also apparently have no supporters. Perhaps make a 4 grand finals in 7 years, then you might understand why Manly fans save their hard earned to pickup Grand Final tickets on Ebay from other teams fans who lose interest.

I'm already getting the feeling Souths think they have made the grand final again. Didn't this happen the last 2 years.

Fairly certain it is home venue but it is still a final eg not a typical home game where the game is effectively neutral.

Pretty sure this has been happening for a while now.

Correct. Finals are run by the NRL and the gate is split between all teams.

Manly's victory song was played at ANZ when they knocked us out there last year. In fact, it was Manly fans bitching that caused the stadium finals rule to come in anyway when a few hundred of them got locked out of a final against St George a few years back.

You don't play finals at suburban ovals anymore. Simple as that. If last night was at Brookvale, 10,000 fans would have been locked out. The way Manly played last night you'd think they lose the ability to tackle outside of the northern beaches.

If it were played at ANZ I think you'd have reason to complain. As it is, stfu and stop bitching. f**king sooks.

BranVan3000

Coach
This is all time NRL records:
Highest Crowds (1957-2014)107999Melbourne v St George Illawarra Stadium Australia26-Sep-1999104583 (DH)Parramatta v St George Illawarra
Manly v Newcastle
Stadium Australia06-Mar-199994277Brisbane v Sydney Roosters Stadium Australia27-Aug-200090414Newcastle v Parramatta Stadium Australia30-Sep-200182976Canterbury v Melbourne Stadium Australia30-Sep-201282538Parramatta v Melbourne Stadium Australia04-Oct-200982453North Queensland v Wests Tigers Stadium Australia02-Oct-200582334Sydney Roosters v St George Illawarra Stadium Australia03-Oct-201082127Bulldogs v Sydney Roosters Stadium Australia03-Oct-200481988New Zealand v Manly Stadium Australia02-Oct-201181491Sydney Roosters v Manly Stadium Australia06-Oct-201381392Manly v Melbourne Stadium Australia30-Sep-200781166Sydney Roosters v Penrith Stadium Australia05-Oct-200380388Manly v Melbourne Stadium Australia05-Oct-200880130New Zealand v Sydney Roosters Stadium Australia06-Oct-200279609Brisbane v Melbourne Stadium Australia01-Oct-200678056St George v Souths S.C.G.18-Sep-1965

We have no fans.... Yet your biggest crowd was in 1965. 25k last night. Surely if you have so many fans they would show up to a game only a short distance away. Oh that's right, you have lots of members who aren't allowed to enter a stadium. Cats, Dogs, Birds, Fish.....

All of our big crowds were Grand Finals (except the double header). All except one were against out of Sydney teams. The other one was against a Sydney team who also apparently have no supporters. Perhaps make a 4 grand finals in 7 years, then you might understand why Manly fans save their hard earned to pickup Grand Final tickets on Ebay from other teams fans who lose interest.

I'm already getting the feeling Souths think they have made the grand final again. Didn't this happen the last 2 years.
Grand Finals are extremely neutral heavy, like a State of Origin game. Has absolutely no reflection on the fanbase. Even the Titans would fill out a Grand Final stadium.

typicalfan

Coach

Manly's victory song was played at ANZ when they knocked us out there last year. In fact, it was Manly fans bitching that caused the stadium finals rule to come in anyway when a few hundred of them got locked out of a final against St George a few years back.

You don't play finals at suburban ovals anymore. Simple as that. If last night was at Brookvale, 10,000 fans would have been locked out. The way Manly played last night you'd think they lose the ability to tackle outside of the northern beaches.

If it were played at ANZ I think you'd have reason to complain. As it is, stfu and stop bitching. f**king sooks.

Yep and it will be home venue for Manly again next week v Storm or Bulldogs and if Storm or Bulldogs win their music will play. Manly need to understand that Brookie is not up to the standard of finals footy. Barely upto standard of regular season footy.

insert.pause

First Grade

finals at suburban grounds was always the exception not the rule, for most the games history finals were played at moore park.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Your concept doesn't exist though. Except maybe in the minds of Manly fans.

Mate although I do not like the fact the game last night was not at Brookie I completely understand the reasoning behind it.

My real gripe is when its a Sydney team v an out of town team and the crowd is always going to be within the capacity of the suburban ground the game has been taken away from.

In saying that, 25k was piss poor last night.

I'm just taking the piss out of a moron who swims in the shallow end of the gene pool.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The really funny part is that they took their home game against us this year to Gosford and were outnumbered up there as well.

Yeah was there and was easily 60% or more souths. My strongest memory of that game was that it was the worst pre match entertainment I have witnessed in that it was non existent. They are just a failure of a club in terms of crowds and generating interest despite the most consistent bedrock of success of any Sydney club in the past decade.

big hit!

Bench
It wouldn't matter if there were 2 Manly fans there. Manly came 2nd therefore it's there home game and should be given every advantage.

Manly think they can hold this comp to ransom. Their fans have caught on to this approach.

Just f**k off.

Finals are neutral games. The ground allocation for the preference of the higher seeded team is considered based on their facility and its suitability to host the match.

The NRL have a comp to administer. Manly need to get their shit together with regard to the standard of their home facility. Lobby government, lobby the NRL, get their millionaire owners and board members to leave a legacy for the club rather than backstabbing each other behind the scenes. Once this era ends, Manly will have nothing set up for the future to show for it.

Based on their club's operational location in the metropolitan and their supporter base's reluctance to travel outside it and the difficulties associated with doing this regularly, many of us understand that a permanent move to SFS or Olympic Park is probably not the most viable option. So cementing their future within the Manly, Warringah and Pittwater LGA's (and inclusion of the North Shore LGA's if at all possible) with an updated and increased capacity facility up there is imperative for the long-term health of the club.

The folks in power who deal with the strategic direction of the club should be making this the #1 priority and at the top of the agenda each board and exec meeting. But what hope do they have when everyone is more concerned about their own survival rather than club's?

Want to ever host a final on the Northern Beaches against a metropolitan team again? Enter the 21st century. It ain't the 1970s anymore, Manly.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Yep and it will be home venue for Manly again next week v Storm or Bulldogs and if Storm or Bulldogs win their music will play. Manly need to understand that Brookie is not up to the standard of finals footy. Barely upto standard of regular season footy.

It's not up to any standard of professional sports stadiums.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Manly are at serious risk in the future unless they reinvent themselves. Poor ground, poor fanbase and the only reason they have managed to financially keep their head above water is due to on field success. That won't last forever. They are fortunate to have some rich backers and now they need to lever off that and get the nrl's financial and strategic support to part base themselves in Gosford and push their brand across the whole northern beaches and north shore. Only way they will survive in years to come IMO.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Forget the hill at Sookvale.

The lighting is f**ked. On TV it looks like the game is being played by torchlight. It's a training ground at best.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Manly are at serious risk in the future unless they reinvent themselves. Poor ground, poor fanbase and the only reason they have managed to financially keep their head above water is due to on field success. That won't last forever. They are fortunate to have some rich backers and now they need to lever off that and get the nrl's financial and strategic support to part base themselves in Gosford and push their brand across the whole northern beaches and north shore. Only way they will survive in years to come IMO.

Eh.

Have won premierships every decade since the 70's and never won a spoon.

Must be doing something right.

100% agree something needs to be done about the ground, but that's out of our hands unfortunately. The govt have to step in there as the NRL will keep right out of any upgrade given Greenberg's desire to have all teams play out of his souless stadiums. That f*cktard needs to go.

If the ground is upgraded there is no issue at all. We will continue to be successful and win comps. Just fix that f*cking ground!

insert.pause

First Grade
Mate although I do not like the fact the game last night was not at Brookie I completely understand the reasoning behind it.

My real gripe is when its a Sydney team v an out of town team and the crowd is always going to be within the capacity of the suburban ground the game has been taken away from.

In saying that, 25k was piss poor last night.

I'm just taking the piss out of a moron who swims in the shallow end of the gene pool.

The only one who looks stupid is you champ!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Eh.

Have won premierships every decade since the 70's and never won a spoon.

Must be doing something right.

100% agree something needs to be done about the ground, but that's out of our hands unfortunately. The govt have to step in there as the NRL will keep right out of any upgrade given Greenberg's desire to have all teams play out of his souless stadiums. That f*cktard needs to go.

If the ground is upgraded there is no issue at all. We will continue to be successful and win comps. Just fix that f*cking ground!

You have too small a population catchment to keep pace in years to come unless you change your appeal and geographic spread. A new stadium would certainly help but A) your not getting $100mill to sort out brookvale and B) you need a bigger fanbase regardless of stadium. To have been as successful as you have been on the field yet so unsuccessful off it does not bode well for when the inevitable on field cycle happens.

Latest posts