What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brown's contract extended until 2008

Willow

Assistant Moderator

DRAGONS MEDIA RELEASE​
30 March 2006​
Dragons Extend Brown’s Coaching Contract
The St George Illawarra Dragons are pleased to announce the Head Coach Nathan Brown has accepted an offer to extend his coaching contract for two years until the end of the 2008 season.

Brown, 32, whose current contract was due to expire at the end of the 2006 season, had no hesitation accepting the new deal which was finalised after the Club’s monthly Board meeting on Tuesday.

Dragons Chairman Warren Lockwood said the Board resolved the matter this week because they wanted to have the Club’s coaching direction in place, well before the June 30 deadline for player movements.

“Nathan was always a part of a long-term coaching strategy for the Club and as an organisation we are pleased with the return on that investment, to date, which we anticipate will increase considerably over the next few years,” said Lockwood.

“The Board has confidence in Nathan’s human and technical stewardship and is particularly impressed with his development of junior players to NRL level, one of our key strategies in rugby league, across our region.

“Furthermore, his commitment to our brand across all our business endeavours is significant and of quality,” added Lockwood.

Dragons coach Nathan Brown said: “I am very pleased to continue my involvement with the Dragons.

“I have always had great passion and enthusiasm for this Club, ever since I arrived here as a player in 1992.

“Everybody knows I want to be a career rugby league coach and I couldn’t be happier knowing that I have been given a further opportunity at this great Club.

“Being head coach in one of the highest profile Clubs in the business certainly presents its challenges and comes with great expectations from everyone but I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else”.

Ribs

Bench
Great news, congrats to Brown.....

Now if they could just sign the Baz Gaz duo.

scarcev

Juniors
Great club man, incredible passion for Saints, good junior developer but still not convinced about his ability to coach in the pressure games.

Hopefully he has gained experience over the last couple of years but the day I heard a player (barrett i think!) telling Brownie to settle down cos he was making the players nervous was the day I questioned his coaching ability under pressure.

Top bloke tho, but is that what you want, is the question???

scarcev said:
Great club man, incredible passion for Saints, good junior developer but still not convinced about his ability to coach in the pressure games.

Hopefully he has gained experience over the last couple of years but the day I heard a player (barrett i think!) telling Brownie to settle down cos he was making the players nervous was the day I questioned his coaching ability under pressure.

Top bloke tho, but is that what you want, is the question???

Good point BUT how did any of the coaches get their experiance? Somehow i do not think they were born with the ability to lead a team to the premiership trophy,and the only thing that makes browny's time harder is the fact that he was appointed coach just after the jv took place, therefore more pressure put on him, not to mention with all the heat from the media he's going to get worked up, cause when it comes down to it he is only human.

Ribs

Bench
He developed a lot of these kids in the Flegg side and was assistant to Gould during a couple of Origin campaigns, in fact Gould labelled both he and Daley as great future coaches.

You need to remember that it would be FAR more difficult to coach a team of champions into a champion team than it would be to coach a bunch of young players.

Our big 6, if you like, all come with big egos and a self belief that they themselves can win us games. Thus they want the ball all day. Bringing all those egos down a peg and having the 17 play their true roles would be harder than getting young players to do it, add to that the pressure of expectation we place on him.

I think he has done an excellent job in getting the team to play as a team and to its potential since taking over from that plank Farrar. Coming equal first last year after losing 4 early was a great achievement.

Had we not lost Head mid way through 2005 I dont think we would be having this discussion.....

les amber

Juniors
Isnt it funny, St's would be paying him MORE now than he ever got while he played !!

Wont win a comp with him at the helm, players dont respect him enuf...

Ribs

Bench
Im not sure where this respect thing comes from...... Id prefer to have an easy to get along with coach than a bloke who talks to players like they are little kids eg. Anderson

Im not sure why respect should be an issue, no respect for what? His game plans/tactics.....or team selections.....or training techniques?

The Preacher

First Grade
les amber said:
Isnt it funny, St's would be paying him MORE now than he ever got while he played !!

Now tell us Les A, tell us all, how did you come to this conclusion. Just what dealings have you had with the Dragons that opened your eyes to this situation of no respect. This I am interested in. What's your source.:?
icon5.gif

les amber said:

If there was no respect then why is it there aren't more blow ups and more rumours circulating about the club, and why do they constantly come out week after week and play??

Dragooner

Bench
If I wasn't a dragon's supporter (I am a mad one) then I would be thanking the dragons for re-signing Brownie. It is the worst possible thing they could have done. He has no idea how to coach and he's the only thing stopping the dragons from becoming premiers.

Father Ted

First Grade
Squishy_Da_Byatch said:
If there was no respect then why is it there aren't more blow ups and more rumours circulating about the club,
There's plenty of rumours at the moment . Barrett Gasneir and Head

and why do they constantly come out week after week and play??
Perhaps because they get paid lots of money to do it

No matter how much money they are getting, if your not getting respect from someone and not giving it in return there is gonna be a MAJOR breakdown, and they would get to the stage where they would be saying nah stuff this, its either him go or we not play! they are human beings you cant "work" in an environment where there is no respect!

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Checklist for winning a comp as a coach:

* The respect for players
* The talent within the side
* The knowledge on how to do it
* A little bit of luck

Dragon_psa

First Grade
I'm personally sick of all the Brown baggers, both inside and out of the Dragons fan base. The simple fact is that since Browny has taken the reigns of the FG team, they have steadily improved season by season. He has proven himself enough to date IMHO to kkep his job at this stage.

petetheileet

First Grade
Dragon_psa said:
I'm personally sick of all the Brown baggers, both inside and out of the Dragons fan base. The simple fact is that since Browny has taken the reigns of the FG team, they have steadily improved season by season. He has proven himself enough to date IMHO to kkep his job at this stage.

RIGHT ON!!! i dont kno why people bag browny out so much...he has turned the team of potential rep players into a team of superstars! all he needs is a lil bit of good fortune and he will get his 1st :D premiership under his belt.