What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bruce Gordon take-over still on .

NO WIN YET IN TAKEOVER TALK

WIN Corporation’s desire to buy 50 per cent of St George Illawarra has hit its first hurdle as negotiations with the NRL stall.

The stumbling block is how WIN will repay the $6.6 million the Dragons owe the NRL.

The NRL has scoffed at WIN’s proposal to repay the debt in contra. That plan would have involved the NRL scaling down the debt in return for advertising slots on the WIN network.

WIN’s recent programming restructure has lessened the NRL’s willingness to play ball.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/33e2a1777e3f6e96d789cd61c1799272

I wouldn't see this as a stumbling block.. It's part of a negotiation process. I would do the same thing .. 'Try it on'.. Sometimes you find a wood duck.

But we are talking about 2 profile astute entities with no real concern about walking away from a deal.

They will find their ground .. NRL probably won't move much, but WIN will maximize their 'opportunity' within the JV (who does really need the deal to happen)

If WIN were able to pay the debt in their 'currency' - advertising space.. What a WIN that would be for them.

I would never have expected a deal without argy-bargy.. And I would have expected WIN to try something on.

Next...

Have to disagree completely with this dribble.

The fan base is still there.

When our currently hopeless administration gets its finger out of its rectum and manages recruitment and the finances in a way that allows the football side to be competitive the fans will flock to the grounds as they did during 2009,2010 and part of 2011.

We are the sleeping giants of the league and generally provide huge support at away grounds.

Give the high quality juniors the opportunity to compete at NRL level for one whole season and the results will improve dramatically.

The team lacks hunger/desire/energy/raw talent.

The juniors can give us this.

What we lack on and off the field is real leadership. Sims can provide this in the forwards and Duges can provide it in the backs. Widdop should not be reappointed as captain in 2017. He is unable to cope with the additional pressure.

SaintHarry

Juniors

When our currently hopeless administration gets its finger out of its rectum and manages recruitment and the finances in a way that allows the football side to be competitive the fans will flock to the grounds as they did during 2009,2010 and part of 2011.

We are the sleeping giants of the league and generally provide huge support at away grounds.

Give the high quality juniors the opportunity to compete at NRL level for one whole season and the results will improve dramatically.

What we lack on and off the field is real leadership. Sims can provide this in the forwards and Duges can provide it in the backs. Widdop should not be reappointed as captain in 2017. He is unable to cope with the additional pressure.

He cant cope with any pressure he is not a big game player and given the position he plays its damaging our attack

Carlton

Juniors

Unfortunately, the St George fan base has aged and new young fans are not attracted to the club like they are to some of the newer clubs. Having a dispersed fan base is not actually the best thing as it is difficult to take advantage of the tribal mentality that teams like storm, broncos, cowboys, raiders, bulldogs, cronulla etc. have. Roosters have a problem a bit like ours.

Juniors are important but I don't believe they are enough. We need to have a sensible combination of the best juniors and the best from outside filling the gaps. One of the things that annoys me is the fact that for a young back to get into first grade the wing is a great option. We do not give young backs the opportunity on the wing that we should.

Dragonscales

Juniors
Those thinking this will be a magic wand need to think harder.

A 51% share will see total control to him. There have been numerous reports and statements in the past that St George supporters need to take not of now.

51% means an Illawarra dominated ownership. More games at Wollongong. He has already stated that. A return of the Illawarra identity. Also previously stated. Doust will be entrenched. Part of the agreement leaked publicly months ago.

This will spell the end of St George.

Be prepared for the Illawarra Dragons. Good old steelers jerseys with a hint of dragons memories in it somewhere. It will be a mediocre club, much like the steelers were. No offence but really with the talent they took from traditional dragons support base they should have showed more.

I do not support this as a Dragons supporter. This is the final death knoll for a once proud club that propped up a sadly underperforming partner since 1999 only to have wasted its financial position to the point of being an easy target.

No money will go into the club. All money paid out for this 51% will go towards debt reduction.

Mcgregoyis an Illawarra boy and will remain the golden haired boy. Surely people can see if he hasn't been sacked by now, what has kept him where he is? Paying out contracts has nothing to do with it.

Wait till the fine print and conditions are released on this buyout before you all start celebrating.

I for one, will be done with the club the day this takeover is signed off. I have supported the dragons through thick and thin for over 50 years. It will be a sad sad day when they let this takeover happen.

Nothing against the Illawarra, but St George should have either gone it alone, went to super league (they were offered $20m to switch sides) or just packed up shop then and there rather than end this way.

What the f**k is this bullshit?

51% ownership does not mean he will take total control. Do yo have no idea how companies are run?

To change the clubs name, colours and location requires a 100% unanimous vote by the board. 75% vote by the board to reduce the number of games played in wollongong/kogarah below 4. As long as St George holds one seat on the board nothing will change.

WIN will nominate 3 board members, St George will nominate 3 board members. Illawarra will have one board member and they will not have full voting rights.

Furthermore, It will be financial suicide to rid the St George brand from the club an alienate the majority of your fanbase.

Bruce Gordon, despite being based in Illawarra, was born in Sydney and supported the St George Dragons as a kid.

You don't know what you're talking about.

BennyV

Referee
Unfortunately, I think a lot has changed since then.
And it can change back.

Regardless of our current standings, or club has history that others could only dream of. It's a famous brand and any competent management would be able to use that to its advantage. From a marketting point of view, which is essential if Gordon wants to make money from this, he would be mad to drop the St George Dragons completely, in favor of Illawarra or the Steelers.

Carlton

Juniors
And it can change back.

Regardless of our current standings, or club has history that others could only dream of. It's a famous brand and any competent management would be able to use that to its advantage. From a marketting point of view, which is essential if Gordon wants to make money from this, he would be mad to drop the St George Dragons completely, in favor of Illawarra or the Steelers.
I hope you're right, but Newtown and North Sydney also had history (maybe not the same as Saints) and yet they aren't in First Grade anymore.
If Bruce Gordon (WIN) is going to make money from this I don't believe that he necessarily needs St George long term. But please, please let me be wrong.

I

Dragonscales

Juniors
Alienating the majority of your fanbase is not a smart business decision. That should be obvious. Placing an increased influence of the Illawarra region on the club will grow the club in that region. That's all it is.

St George is as safe as houses.

Gareth67

First Grade
Whatever happens , I just hope that it occurs quickly . As I really cannot see the Dragons moving forward until something is worked out with the NRL - the quicker the better for all concerned .

The outstanding debt needs to paid as quickly as possible , even if to get the NRL of our backs . As TOTS has said this is just a hiccup in negotiations , but hopefully they will sort it all out by the end of the year .

St.George will always remain as part of the Joint Venture , why else would they have have 3 full votes to Illawarra's 1 ?
Bruce Gordon and the WIN Corporation will do wonders for the Dragons , so don't go cutting your throats just yet .

Carlton

Juniors
Doust and Co have already alienated the majority of the fan base and Bruce Gordon would benefit from an increased influence in not only the Illawarra but the Southern part of NSW especially the coast. WIN TV are investing in the club. Why would they do this, unless their is a corporate gain for them? Where and what is WIN's business?

I'm not cutting my throat but I am not convinced that Bruce Gordon is going to provide a secure for St George. I don't think St George will disappear overnight but I seriously doubt its long term survival if this goes ahead.

Am I convinced everything I'm worried about will happen? No, I'm not and hope that as details become available I can say this is the best thing to happen for the club.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Just get it over and done with and cut the crap.Without the St George Dragons name and history they have nothing.Should ST George Dragons be removed along with it would go a might strong supporter base.

If we were to lose our identity then that will do me as far as league is concerned

Me too

I used to also follow St George in the old NSL and have never attended another game since St George were removed from the league.

If we lost our identity that would be the last time I would watch an NRL game.

Am confident we will maintain our identity and proud history.

monsterkev

Juniors
So the NRL are stalling because they wan't their money back quicker and playing hard ball. Surely if they are guarantee to get it back by WIN it is far better option than what they have got in agreement with the current St George CEO? If they think DOust is going to be able to come up with a plan without WIN on board they have rocks in their head.
if bruce gordon has so much money then just pay the nrl and move forward but if he is wanting to offer contra deals where advertising is part of the payment then i dont think we will be in a better financial position at all as obviously he wont be tipping in money for the running of the club as has been mentioned previously so this takeover is a big no for me
time to look for another buyer possibly some pommy gizillionaire

Carlton

Juniors
Please remember that the spin surrounding the takeover is going to be put in such a way as to keep fans accepting. However, promises can be broken and there is no such thing as cast in stone conditions. There is always a way to either change or circumvent conditions in an agreement.

I don't want people to be anti the takeover, I would just like to see a bit more debate about it and a clearer understanding of the whole arrangement is before its so readily accepted by some fans.

monsterkev

Juniors
Please remember that the spin surrounding the takeover is going to be put in such a way as to keep fans accepting. However, promises can be broken and there is no such thing as cast in stone conditions. There is always a way to either change or circumvent conditions in an agreement.

I don't want people to be anti the takeover, I would just like to see a bit more debate about it and a clearer understanding of the whole arrangement is before its so readily accepted by some fans.
I agree the fans should have some say
Maybe if we had 50,000 fans willing to contribute $150 each the club could be debt free and each year there after $100 each equals 5 mill we could become a community owned team
Worth brainstorming over

I agree the fans should have some say
Maybe if we had 50,000 fans willing to contribute $150 each the club could be debt free and each year there after $100 each equals 5 mill we could become a community owned team
Worth brainstorming over
And you can think up a catchy name to call it.. How about "membership"

Yeah that way, everyone can think they have a say, contribute to the financial stability etc

"Membership" I like the idea