What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bryce Cartwright gone

OldPanther

Coach
For me to show where are compared to the past say 10 years. Lets say if we only make the 8 but no further under Griffin for say the next 2 years. He will be gone but the next coach will be expected to match that and take the next step.

John Lang had a similar record of finals choking before he got here was average at Souths after. Elliott was decent at Canberra was hopeless here and at NZ. So I don't read to much into past achievements or not

From our previous coaches the next step is regular finals. Once we have achieved that. Top 4 will be the expectation every year from that comps should flow. I am sure the board have an idea when that next step needs to be taken. I presume if Cleary makes Origin this year then next 2 years will be the timeline.

Whether Griffin will be the coach to get us that next step. I have doubts but can see why it hasn't happened yet

That is a good point about gradual progression. I think for that reason if we don't get top 4 this year Griffin should be under fire.

betcats

Referee
Newc

Bennett failed at Newcastle. Brown was ordinary at Dragons hasn't really had the roster to show anything up there yet.

Yeah Bennett is the last on my list of definites. I like what the knights did last year I think brown has done well with the rubbish squad he had. That stgeorge stint is along time ago and he basically went from the playing group to the coaching g didn’t he?

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah Bennett is the last on my list of definites. I like what the knights did last year I think brown has done well with the rubbish squad he had. That stgeorge stint is along time ago and he basically went from the playing group to the coaching g didn’t he?

Pretty much that was it... Too young maybe

franklin2323

Immortal
That is a good point about gradual progression. I think for that reason if we don't get top 4 this year Griffin should be under fire.

The aim this year should be 16-18 wins. That would be some top teams to get top 4. If it is less sponsors will join the fans. Board feels the pressure and it goes down.

Our young roster is getting older. Croft is a few months younger than Cleary so may not even have the youngest halfback anymore. With that will put pressure that just making the top 8 is enough will go.

Which I say is why Griffin got punted from the Broncs. We are probably 2 years from that stage. Although no finals all together would be goodbye

mxlegend99

Referee
For me to show where are compared to the past say 10 years. Lets say if we only make the 8 but no further under Griffin for say the next 2 years. He will be gone but the next coach will be expected to match that and take the next step.
But that has nothing to do with Hook. Literally any coach would do better. Elliott would be better with the roster we have now. The money and resources the club has now.

10 years ago we were like a 4 cylinder shit box. With the spare parts coming from a wreckers. Today we're a V8 Supercar with a full pitcrew and the best parts money can buy.

We have an average driver behind the wheel though. Results are better in spite of him. The resources are not being used to their potential

Pomoz

Bench
It should have been Yeo from the start. Moylan was my favourite but there's just something about Yeo's effort and you can still build around him. Or maybe Cleary but that'd be a few years off.
The thing is, leadership is a quality that isn't always evident watching the game. Yeo might be a prat off the field, he might be unreliable, we just don't know. The coaching staff and players are the only ones who know who the true leaders are. In Moylan's case they got it so wrong. The gamble didn't pay off. I mean, he was the captain and he broke the curfew, what an idiot!

TheFrog

Coach
That stgeorge stint is along time ago and he basically went from the playing group to the coaching g didn’t he?
Should have won a premiership with the cattle he had. They failed to respect oppositions when it really mattered and were bundled out in successive years despite having talent to burn.