What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BS 3 year plan

Eelectrica

Referee
So we've got two different coaching philosophies neither one right or wrong which gets us nowhere.
Smith has got us knocking on the door of premiership success several times. He will eventually knock it down. I agree that another season without significant improvement should see us looking for a new coach. But I don't buy into this seven years without success baloney one tiny bit. Things have just gone wrong at really inconvenient times during some games but they have been out of Smiths control.

Suitman

Post Whore
Eelectrica said:
So we've got two different coaching philosophies neither one right or wrong which gets us nowhere.
Smith has got us knocking on the door of premiership success several times. He will eventually knock it down. I agree that another season without significant improvement should see us looking for a new coach. But I don't buy into this seven years without success baloney one tiny bit. Things have just gone wrong at really inconvenient times during some games but they have been out of Smiths control.

Really??

This is a CLUB.

EVERYBODY is responsible.

Suity

Eelectrica

Referee
We've all heard the line "It's not the coach missing tackles and dropping balls"
If a coach continues to pick players that drop balls, miss easy tackles and continually make bad defencive reads the coach is responsible.
On the other hand if a player makes great plays, puts people through gaps, tackles everything that moves all year, but then has a bad game where he can't pass, can't tackle, can't catch then that's not the coaches fault.

Suitman

Post Whore
Eelectrica said:
We've all heard the line "It's not the coach missing tackles and dropping balls"
If a coach continues to pick players that drop balls, miss easy tackles and continually make bad defencive reads the coach is responsible.
On the other hand if a player makes great plays, puts people through gaps, tackles everything that moves all year, but then has a bad game where he can't pass, can't tackle, can't catch then that's not the coaches fault.

Thats very true Eelectrica, but there was more than one game this year when players did all of the above.
It smacked of "lack of motivation". And that can be more than one persons fault.....including the coach.

Suity

El Diablo

Post Whore
Eelectrica said:
Smith has got us knocking on the door of premiership success several times. He will eventually knock it down.

Are you basing this on the law of averages?

That's the only way I can see how you could make such a statement.

Eelectrica

Referee
El Duque said:

Maybe. I just think that if Smith continues to get teams to a grand final he's eventually got to have a Sunday where the players play the game the way they played the rest of the season. Whether that's the result of changing the way he approaches grand final week or something else I don't know.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Hs success rate of getting teams to a GF once they've reached the finals isn't that great let alone winning the whole thing.

I think his time is up. He's had his go and we must move forward.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Eelectrica said:
El Duque said:

Maybe. I just think that if Smith continues to get teams to a grand final he's eventually got to have a Sunday where the players play the game the way they played the rest of the season. Whether that's the result of changing the way he approaches grand final week or something else I don't know.

Keeps getting to grand finals? One in the last decade! What Brian Smith are you thinking of?

Eelectrica

Referee
Misty Bee said:
Keeps getting to grand finals? One in the last decade! What Brian Smith are you thinking of?

Since '92 Smith has coached in 3 NSWRL/NRL and 1 Super League grand final. So that's a grand final once every 3 years. Excellent we must due to play next years grand final.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Eelectrica said:
Misty Bee said:

Since '92 Smith has coached in 3 NSWRL/NRL and 1 Super League grand final. So that's a grand final once every 3 years. Excellent we must due to play next years grand final.

And lose.

Chipmunk

Coach
Eelectrica said:
Misty Bee said:

What Superleague Grand Final??? Surely u dont class any Grand Final in the English League as a Premiership!!! Over there a Clubs Salary Cap is 50% of its turnover. The Club who spends the most money will generally win!

whocares

Juniors
HYpothetically:-
Let's see BS is out in 2004.
Whom do you think should be our coacha nd based on what credibility.
Just a opinion guys.

The Colonel

Immortal
whocares said:
HYpothetically:-
Let's see BS is out in 2004.
Whom do you think should be our coacha nd based on what credibility.
Just a opinion guys.

There are about two dozen posts about this whocares.

My pick would be John Cartwright or Terry Matterson.

The Colonel

Immortal
Misty Bee said:
Phil Economides.

He would be good but he has been out of first grade a while. At least Matterson and Cartwright are in the NRL.

Bob McCarthy would have been good about three years ago.

Eelectrica

Referee
I'd like to see Phil Economedies get another shot in the NRL. Maybe if he coached a First division team to remind everyone of what a great job he did on the GC. I think he'd go well if he was made the Parra coach.
Whenever we are in the market for another coach, I just hope they interview plenty of candidates and don't just give it to whoever happens to walk in the office first.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Economides has been involved in junior development somewhere, France I think. Carty would be good.

How about Ian Millward?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It was reported in the media, in this part of the world, that Phil Economidies was keen to get an NRL gig and was speaking to a few clubs for next season.

There was no mention of which clubs, nor at which capacity he would be employed.

The Colonel

Immortal
Ian Millward would be good but I'd like to see him in the NRL as an assistant ala Matt Elliott before he took over. Super League isn't exactly defence oriented.

whocares

Juniors
Next question will be how do we compare these coaches against Brian Smith.
I mean I am talking about reshuffling the way PARRA plays. I mean I would like to see someone who will set a style that is unique and will be successfull with it. We have to benchmark in performance. In other words other team should be compared to us whether they can match us or not.
Untill we do this I do not see parra going anywhere . We need slick, fast people who can run couple of metres in quick pace.
I am no expert in rugby and I consider myself novice. But looking at the game I see players like Wing, Minechello who can run in a quite space.
We need to bring the revolution in playing style what we did in 2001.
We need to get that thing back, I guess what you experts call"run from dummyhalf",
Am I right guys.