What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bud News

_Johnsy

Referee
Not to the same degree, because many Dragons fans fall for this:
View attachment 76669
To be fair the same journo was accused of making up his info (Hunt saga), yet it was rubbished & ridiculed here as click bait. As it turned out it was 100% accurate. While I’m not saying we believe everything that comes out of sloths face, he does often get good mail.

Old Timer

Coach
Stay with us old mate , don't let everyone on here get off lightly ......
My dilemma is that I have always believed in the truth and accountability

A trait that my wonderful parents instilled in us from a very early age.

Now we all know people will make mistakes and some will admit to them and are contrite but alas some will obfuscate and be in denial.

If Flanagan was to come clean and admit not only the error but his knowledge / involvement of what occurred and then seek redemption I could remain but I do not see that in him

Matbe one day it might happen and then I can return and accept his error and move on.

Crush

Coach

Now we all know people will make mistakes and some will admit to them and are contrite but alas some will obfuscate and be in denial.

If Flanagan was to come clean and admit not only the error but his knowledge / involvement of what occurred and then seek redemption I could remain but I do not see that in him

Matbe one day it might happen and then I can return and accept his error and move on.
OT, what are you saying here?
You will cease to support the dragons whilst ever Flanno is coach?
So you’ll stop watching NRL altogether?
Or you’ll watch but you’ll hope for failure?
I reckon the only way I could stop “going for” dragons would be to stop watching NRL altogether.

saintmar

Juniors
OT, what are you saying here?
You will cease to support the dragons whilst ever Flanno is coach?
So you’ll stop watching NRL altogether?
Or you’ll watch but you’ll hope for failure?
I reckon the only way I could stop “going for” dragons would be to stop watching NRL altogether.
Personally I will stop watching the NRL altogether if Flano brings Kyle and gets rid of Bud.

VodkaSaint

Juniors
Flannagan has seen bud come through the system , maybe he believes he has defensive issues.
or maybe he is looking after his own
time will tell

Last edited:

Dragonsteve2

Juniors

I admire your values, OT. In fact I share them. Obviously we grew up in an era when parents regarded inculcating excellent values in their kids as one of their most important parental roles.

However where I differ from you is that because I hold the whole operation of the NRL in contempt I argue that if I am to remain a Dragons' fan, my ethical framework just can't be applied. There are just so many ways that the NRL fails to respect my values. The lack of consistency in their treatment of different players and clubs, their adjusting the rules mid-season (do you remember the sudden crackdown on high tackles? Poor Rava!) their pandering to the TV networks in contempt of the devoted and lifelong fans (Friday, 6pm any takers? Anyone miss watching the three grades at the same venue on a Saturday or Sunday arvo?), the embedding of betting into the game, the increasing frequency of broken contracts including coaches, most notably Ricky Stuart and Ivan "get on the bus with me" Cleary, player off-field behaviour such as drug taking or lack of respect for women. I am sure you can add other examples.

In this environment I say I have a choice: take a step back from my values and maintain my almost six decades of attachment to the Dragons or reject the world of the NRL for good. This season especially has tested that attachment, but for the moment I am sticking with the first choice outlined.

On a lighter note, I have taken the drastic step of travelling to the UK to avoid having to watch another Dragons' loss this season. But in a town just out of Edinburgh today I discovered a pub named The Four Marys. For the Dragons, of course, one Mary was one too many!

Illusion

Bench

I respect your morals , and hope to see you back , or hope you re think and stay ..... What ever you decide, mate Stay true to yourself and stay safe .......

I admire your values, OT. In fact I share them. Obviously we grew up in an era when parents regarded inculcating excellent values in their kids as one of their most important parental roles.

However where I differ from you is that because I hold the whole operation of the NRL in contempt I argue that if I am to remain a Dragons' fan, my ethical framework just can't be applied. There are just so many ways that the NRL fails to respect my values. The lack of consistency in their treatment of different players and clubs, their adjusting the rules mid-season (do you remember the sudden crackdown on high tackles? Poor Rava!) their pandering to the TV networks in contempt of the devoted and lifelong fans (Friday, 6pm any takers? Anyone miss watching the three grades at the same venue on a Saturday or Sunday arvo?), the embedding of betting into the game, the increasing frequency of broken contracts including coaches, most notably Ricky Stuart and Ivan "get on the bus with me" Cleary, player off-field behaviour such as drug taking or lack of respect for women. I am sure you can add other examples.

In this environment I say I have a choice: take a step back from my values and maintain my almost six decades of attachment to the Dragons or reject the world of the NRL for good. This season especially has tested that attachment, but for the moment I am sticking with the first choice outlined.

On a lighter note, I have taken the drastic step of travelling to the UK to avoid having to watch another Dragons' loss this season. But in a town just out of Edinburgh today I discovered a pub named The Four Marys. For the Dragons, of course, one Mary was one too many!
You have summed it up beautifully. Everything that had changed over the years that ive been a Saints/ Dragons supporter for. Its just such a shame weve had to watch it happen, but the same as you , i just sit back and watch my team and hope we’ll win. I never think we’ll lose which is why my tipping is so bad. All the rest to me these days is just noise and i try not to let it impact my love of the Dragons. I couldnt do without football so for now i blindly follow and try not to worry too much. However Amone going to jail could really test me. Ive never had to even consider that about a player before

BLM01

First Grade
I’ll le
I hope the rumour isn't true. Bud could shut it all down by staring into a TV camera and saying "I'm going nowhere. I am a Dragon at least for the remainder of my current contract and I hope for more extensions after that".
I will leave this judgement in Flannos hands
He will have time to judge him as a half and may have already
He may or may not have liked what he sees
I am certainly still on the fence watching him and Amone compared to other young halves starting out at NRL
My surprise packet who is growing in the role is Tanah Boyd from the Titans
Not saying he will be a target for us but I thought he was a fill in plodder but apart from being a speedy runner and taking in the line the rest of his game is solid

Dragon David

First Grade
I’ll le

I am certainly still on the fence watching him and Amone compared to other young halves starting out at NRL
Not saying he will be a target for us but I thought he was a fill in plodder but apart from being a speedy runner and taking in the line the rest of his game is solid
To me, Tanah Boyd is the type of player that Flanagan likes in his teams but I don't think that he is on the radar to join us. Anyway, time will tell.

Gomarchin

Juniors
I hope the rumour isn't true. Bud could shut it all down by staring into a TV camera and saying "I'm going nowhere. I am a Dragon at least for the remainder of my current contract and I hope for more extensions after that".
Yeah, just like Bmoz did when there was the rumour about a move to the dogs.

I still can't believe we let one of the best wingers to play the modern game walk out (Yes I know he wanted to play with his brother of course). We didn't we try and get Josh back?!!

One of many mistakes this club has made.

TheRev

First Grade
I agree, Flanno has worked with Bud before, he will have an idea what hes dealing with on and off the field.. I still think Bud is our best shot at success, but I only see the onfield stuff.. the other thing is whether our high performance team is a big part of his injuries.. maybe.. maybe not..

Boyd is definitely looking good, but I dont understand why the Titans would have any interest in letting a young halfback who is settling in well at first grade level go, especially after just releasing their other decent halfback Sexton.. who was also going well.. especially a team still pushing for finals with said halfback. But something has to give for the side getting Ben Hunt.. perhaps its Foran?

Edit: I think what dawns on me is.. why the hell do the Titans even want Hunt for? What would the Broncos want him for? They must believe he is significantly more useful than their current 7... maybe they dont.. hes a very short-term fix.. maybe they r hoping to stockpile players incase of injury.

Last edited: