What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bud News

Old Timer

Coach
OT, what are you saying here?
You will cease to support the dragons whilst ever Flanno is coach?
So you’ll stop watching NRL altogether?
Or you’ll watch but you’ll hope for failure?
I reckon the only way I could stop “going for” dragons would be to stop watching NRL altogether.
I admire your values, OT. In fact I share them. Obviously we grew up in an era when parents regarded inculcating excellent values in their kids as one of their most important parental roles.

However where I differ from you is that because I hold the whole operation of the NRL in contempt I argue that if I am to remain a Dragons' fan, my ethical framework just can't be applied. There are just so many ways that the NRL fails to respect my values. The lack of consistency in their treatment of different players and clubs, their adjusting the rules mid-season (do you remember the sudden crackdown on high tackles? Poor Rava!) their pandering to the TV networks in contempt of the devoted and lifelong fans (Friday, 6pm any takers? Anyone miss watching the three grades at the same venue on a Saturday or Sunday arvo?), the embedding of betting into the game, the increasing frequency of broken contracts including coaches, most notably Ricky Stuart and Ivan "get on the bus with me" Cleary, player off-field behaviour such as drug taking or lack of respect for women. I am sure you can add other examples.

In this environment I say I have a choice: take a step back from my values and maintain my almost six decades of attachment to the Dragons or reject the world of the NRL for good. This season especially has tested that attachment, but for the moment I am sticking with the first choice outlined.

On a lighter note, I have taken the drastic step of travelling to the UK to avoid having to watch another Dragons' loss this season. But in a town just out of Edinburgh today I discovered a pub named The Four Marys. For the Dragons, of course, one Mary was one too many!

My interest in RL has and will always be with the Big Rev V at the very heart of it.

My moral compass says that I can't agree with the decision of the club to employ someone in a most senior position when I perceive that person is damaged goods notwithstanding that I can forgive actions if people show remorse / contrition so hope springs eternal that truth and accountability again stand for something.

I wouldn't cop deceit from from my kids when they were growing up (still won't and they are now well into their 40's) so why would I be willing to cop it from a footy code, footy team, footy coach?

So after the end of this season I will have little more than a passing interest in the game itself as I will not be purposefully following the fortunes of the club I have followed for > 60 years.

I wish the club no harm nor will I be buoyed by any success that comes its way and if asked why after all these years my interest has fallen of a cliff I will simply say that I decided to cast my vote in an affirmative way.

TBH I have watched us become the putana of the RL world being constantly f**ked by one and all and us the loyal supporters being f**ked over by the club itself time and time again and this just puts the icing on a very moldy and rotten piece of fruit cake that is left over from a most inconvenient marriage.

I more than anyone else hope that it turns around and I can come back in and talk about my team.

Mojo

Bench
I agree, Flanno has worked with Bud before, he will have an idea what hes dealing with on and off the field.. I still think Bud is our best shot at success, but I only see the onfield stuff.. the other thing is whether our high performance team is a big part of his injuries.. maybe.. maybe not..

Boyd is definitely looking good, but I dont understand why the Titans would have any interest in letting a young halfback who is settling in well at first grade level go, especially after just releasing their other decent halfback Sexton.. who was also going well.. especially a team still pushing for finals with said halfback. But something has to give for the side getting Ben Hunt.. perhaps its Foran?

Edit: I think what dawns on me is.. why the hell do the Titans even want Hunt for? What would the Broncos want him for? They must believe he is significantly more useful than their current 7... maybe they done.. maybe they r hoping to stockpile them in case of injury.
Re Hunt: I agree. I suspect Hunt is much less significant to the Titans and the Broncos than he thinks he is. Personally, I've never held him in high regard as a player. The 'best player' tag irks me. He's a very good, opportunistic attacking player. He's pretty hardy too - very few injuries. Other than that, IMO he doesn't offer much. The way the team appeared to be so much more dynamic without him didn't surprise me at all. It's a team sport and, all things considered, I think he detracts from a team's overall performance.

I also agree with the sentiment comments made by other posters. RL, and especially Saints, were iconic when I was a kid. Lots of sports paradigms were considered fundamental parts of the game - 'may the best team win', 'it's how you play the game', cheating was considered utterly piss weak, play to the whistle etc etc. Money came into the game - Murdoch and Packer, TV rights, gambling, big sponsors, big playing contracts, huge stadia, rabid media, player trades, more and more commercially motivated manipulative manoeuvres …. and the game has slowly changed. It's faster and more professional, it's more spectacular and colourful … I guess it had to change ….but it has certainly lost a lot of the intangible things - values, if you like, that used to define what the game was all about. Of course, there were criminals and maniacs playing the game back then too, but it was a different type of contest.

I still get a great buzz out of a Dragon's win but I don't feel like the team 'represents' me the way that it used to. They're not as attached to the club or to us in the same way and nor are we to them. It can't be because it's not that kind if sport any more.

Nostalgic crap, no doubt.

Initially, I was very anti-Flanno for the same reasons as OT has espoused. But the more I thought about it - and the 'almost Ryles' hoopla - Young Jnr (possible) nepotism - m'eh - it used to be a gladiator sport; now it's a money game - why do I give a shit? We just need a decent coach so we can play some decent footy - my values don't amount to a hill of beans.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Re Hunt: I agree. I suspect Hunt is much less significant to the Titans and the Broncos than he thinks he is. Personally, I've never held him in high regard as a player. The 'best player' tag irks me. He's a very good, opportunistic attacking player. He's pretty hardy too - very few injuries. Other than that, IMO he doesn't offer much. The way the team appeared to be so much more dynamic without him didn't surprise me at all. It's a team sport and, all things considered, I think he detracts from a team's overall performance.

I also agree with the sentiment comments made by other posters. RL, and especially Saints, were iconic when I was a kid. Lot's of sports paradigms were considered fundamental parts of the game - 'may the best team win', 'it's how you play the game', cheating was considered utterly piss weak, play to the whistle etc etc. Money came into the game - Murdoch and Packer, TV rights, gambling, big sponsors, big playing contracts, huge stadia, rabid media, player trades, more and more commercially motivated manipulative manoeuvres …. and the game has slowly changed. It's faster and more professional, it's more spectacular and colourful … I guess it had to change ….but it has certainly lost a lot of the intangible things - values, if you like, that used to define what the game was all about. Of course, there were criminals and maniacs playing the game back then too, but it was a different type of contest.

I still get a great buzz out of a Dragon's win but I don't feel like the team 'represents' me the way that it used to. They're not as attached to the club or to us in the same way and nor are we to them. It can't be because it's not that kind if sport any more.

Nostalgic crap, no doubt.

Initially, I was very anti-Flanno for the same reasons as OT has espoused. But the more I thought about it - and the 'almost Ryles' hoopla - Young Jnr (possible) nepotism - m'eh - it used to be a gladiator sport; now it's a money game - why do I give a shit? We just need a decent coach so we can play some decent footy - my values don't amount to a hill of beans.

Yeah..I agree..

Like OT I was against Flanno initially. Then I had to consider he DID in fact pay a price. His reputation was ruined. Years in limbo. Whatever level of his involvement was during the Sharks scandal, I don't know.

It wasn't pretty.

Bottom line for me is, there were consequences for his actions. He paid those consequences, and it's a bit like double jeopardy, ... he shouldn't be charged / impugned for those offences again.

We are tragics here, and if people want to take a stand, that's fine. My love for the badge is greater than any coach, CEO, player.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Yeah..I agree..

Like OT I was against Flanno initially. Then I had to consider he DID in fact pay a price. His reputation was ruined. Years in limbo. Whatever level of his involvement was during the Sharks scandal, I don't know.

It wasn't pretty.

Bottom line for me is, there were consequences for his actions. He paid those consequences, and it's a bit like double jeopardy, ... he shouldn't be charged / impugned for those offences again.

We are tragics here, and if people want to take a stand, that's fine. My love for the badge is greater than any coach, CEO, player.
Flanno also said, in his own words, that he has taken 'full ownership of my actions' in 2019.

dragon thomo

Juniors
I feel your frustation and dissapointment OT and can understand your feelings toward Flannigan. But for the club and my own sannity i hope he has success. Also everybody deals with guilt and wrong doings differently and hopefully he understands what went on at the sharks years ago was unacceptable and he has learnt from it.

Mojo

Bench
Look what John Sattler said (my italics) about the legends in sitting in the front row:
People talk about the enforcers in the game, but Langlands and his mate Smithy were the toughest of the tough because they could play with injury — arm hanging off, crook leg, strap 'em up and send 'em out — and they could perform. And they had such club spirit. They were knockabouts and larrikins off the paddock, but they respected their club and teammates and treated Frank Facer like their own father." [2]

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
My interest in RL has and will always be with the Big Rev V at the very heart of it.

My moral compass says that I can't agree with the decision of the club to employ someone in a most senior position when I perceive that person is damaged goods notwithstanding that I can forgive actions if people show remorse / contrition so hope springs eternal that truth and accountability again stand for something.

I wouldn't cop deceit from from my kids when they were growing up (still won't and they are now well into their 40's) so why would I be willing to cop it from a footy code, footy team, footy coach?

So after the end of this season I will have little more than a passing interest in the game itself as I will not be purposefully following the fortunes of the club I have followed for > 60 years.

I wish the club no harm nor will I be buoyed by any success that comes its way and if asked why after all these years my interest has fallen of a cliff I will simply say that I decided to cast my vote in an affirmative way.

TBH I have watched us become the putana of the RL world being constantly f**ked by one and all and us the loyal supporters being f**ked over by the club itself time and time again and this just puts the icing on a very moldy and rotten piece of fruit cake that is left over from a most inconvenient marriage.

I more than anyone else hope that it turns around and I can come back in and talk about my team.
Just curiouys OT. What will it take to bring you back after this season ends if success does not?
My opinion for the things we love in life.. remember life is too short.

Old Timer

Coach
Just curiouys OT. What will it take to bring you back after this season ends if success does not?
My opinion for the things we love in life.. remember life is too short.
Good question
For me to have belief in the following
1) That Flanagan has been 100% honest in his statements re the peptides saga or that he comes clean and admits his part and is contrite
2) That no back room deal has been done with Flanagan to ensure Young makes a return to the club
I have serious doubts on both fronts
The club is full of shady characters and Flanagan IMO fits in with that culture

Sage63

Juniors
I

I haven’t said I’d let Sullivan go with a certainty but I think the idea may have merit with the correct replacement. As much as we believe in him, it will be very hard to rebuild with a half back that is in and out of the team constantly to injury. That’s been the story with him since he was 18. That’s the facts.

we’ve ended up in a lot of trouble with blind loyalty and I hope Flanagan can come in with ‘success starts now’ mentality. If that means making a big call on a Sloan or Sullivan then I will back him. I suspect Flanagan will want to work with these two young guns and I’m fine with that however there’s not a player in the squad whose position should be guaranteed. Someone needs to apply a blowtorch to the place. Heads need to roll high and low in the joint.
“I haven’t said I’d let Sullivan go with a certainty but I think the idea may have merit with the correct replacement. “
Yeah, correct “replacement”, like who?
I can remember Benji suffering many shoulder injuries, and Mal suffering several broken arms.
How did that turn out for them & their fans?

Sage63

Juniors
My dilemma is that I have always believed in the truth and accountability

A trait that my wonderful parents instilled in us from a very early age.

Now we all know people will make mistakes and some will admit to them and are contrite but alas some will obfuscate and be in denial.

If Flanagan was to come clean and admit not only the error but his knowledge / involvement of what occurred and then seek redemption I could remain but I do not see that in him

Matbe one day it might happen and then I can return and accept his error and move on.
Gee, OT, I generally understand & respect some of your tenets, but, please tell me, when did you attain perfection?

thebigredv

First Grade
Yeah? Really? Like who?

Sullivan is yet to string two decent performances together or to stay on the field very long. I know his potential but that's the reality. There are other halves out there looking around or who will come on the market soon enough. Towshend, Walker, Cogger, Salmon, Wakeham, Flanagan...maybe go look in England as well.

We put all our hopes on Sloan and Sullivan I think we are going to end up pretty deflated.

One is a turnstyle and the other is made of glass. Times up for coddling them. Does anyone think any amount of bulking up and coaching is going to turn Sloan into a reliable fullback? I'm sorry but I doubt it. Meanwhile I hear Edwards is on the market. Easy call. Sullivan's hamstrings won't be getting stronger with time either.

We are too scared to consider alternatives or about making the same mistake Tigers made with Tedesco and I get that but I am so tired of the waiting game that comes with each incumbent coach. I don't think Flanagan is going to muck around.

Old Timer

Coach
Gee, OT, I generally understand & respect some of your tenets, but, please tell me, when did you attain perfection?
If I expect high standards from myself, my family, my friends then it is not too much to expect it of others.

Now neither myself, my family, my friends are perfect and we all make mistakes but for me it is how you conduct yourself after the mistake.

Conduct yourself with honesty and dignity and most things are forgivable but to knowingly not do that is much harder if not impossible to forgive.

Someine earlier said that Flanagan had apologised but my understanding is that that apology was for supposedly not knowing when he should have and tgat is a cop out plain and simple for mine and his clear breach after that shows me that he has no problem crossing boundaries to suit himself.

Louiethefly

Juniors
Sullivan is yet to string two decent performances together or to stay on the field very long. I know his potential but that's the reality. There are other halves out there looking around or who will come on the market soon enough. Towshend, Walker, Cogger, Salmon, Wakeham, Flanagan...maybe go look in England as well.

We put all our hopes on Sloan and Sullivan I think we are going to end up pretty deflated.

One is a turnstyle and the other is made of glass. Times up for coddling them. Does anyone think any amount of bulking up and coaching is going to turn Sloan into a reliable fullback? I'm sorry but I doubt it. Meanwhile I hear Edwards is on the market. Easy call. Sullivan's hamstrings won't be getting stronger with time either.

We are too scared to consider alternatives or about making the same mistake Tigers made with Tedesco and I get that but I am so tired of the waiting game that comes with each incumbent coach. I don't think Flanagan is going to muck around.
To be fair to both of them - they've had a bit of a dodgey path to first grade in that lower grades were cancelled through COVID, so they've essentially jumped from SG Ball straight into first grade. They've then had Griffin as their coach, who has stuffed them both around something severe over the last few years.

Our strength and conditioning team who have been pretty bad have been replaced with people who know can get the job done.

Both Sullivan and Sloan have shown they have talent that can't be coached and that the parts of their game that require improvement are the ones that actually can be improved by better coaching. Sullivan's played less than a handful of games in his actual position in first grade, and none of them have been in a row. Bit harsh to say we've been coddling him.