What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building the next NZ team

It’s an observation based on the repeated disapointment of the warriors. Seems nz can produce good players if they move to australia at 15. The main justification for nz2 seems to be player base but the warriors continue to show that the pathways are not yet there in nz.

problem is nrl doesn’t want to build from the base up. Be it in nz or WA.
What you're saying is true. The problem is it's a complaint that can be made about all expansion bids except Brisbane 3.

I doubt you would use it as an excuse to justify parachuting the Tigers in as the 18th team?

Let's agree on one thing. Perth and Christchurch have one thing over Port Moresby. They're not third world cities rife with violence. Players will want to live in Perth and Christchurch.

I cannot see how a team based in Port Moresby can work before 2050. The Hunters can get away with it in the Queensland Cup because their players are locals and competing in a semi-professional competition. There aren't 30 NRL-callibre players in PNG to supplement an NRL team based in Port Moresby.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
What you're saying is true. The problem is it's a complaint that can be made about all expansion bids except Brisbane 3.

I doubt you would use it as an excuse to justify parachuting the Tigers in as the 18th team?

Let's agree on one thing. Perth and Christchurch have one thing over Port Moresby. They're not third world cities rife with violence. Players will want to live in Perth and Christchurch.

I cannot see how a team based in Port Moresby can work before 2050. The Hunters can get away with it in the Queensland Cup because their players are locals and competing in a semi-professional competition. There aren't 30 NRL-callibre players in PNG to supplement an NRL team based in Port Moresby.
Even if there were 30 NRL standard Papuans ready to go, even they would jump at the chance to live in Australia or New Zealand over Port Moresby.

docbrown

Coach
It’s an observation based on the repeated disapointment of the warriors. Seems nz can produce good players if they move to australia at 15. The main justification for nz2 seems to be player base but the warriors continue to show that the pathways are not yet there in nz.

problem is nrl doesn’t want to build from the base up. Be it in nz or WA.
New Zealand 2 will have a world class stadium and go a long way toward cementing NRL's place at the number one sports league in New Zealand. The player base is just one part of the equation.

But if you were judging on this metric alone, I'd go with NZ over WA simply because NZ has much more junior exposure to at least one form of rugby when compared to WA.

So again, a weird hill for a Perth fan to die on.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Cleary warns off rushing through New Zealand expansion​

Ivan Cleary has warned the NRL against rushing expansion into New Zealand, fearing now is not the time to flood the market and dilute the Warriors' presence.

The NRL have started the process towards a 20-team competition, with expressions of interest for new franchises to officially be received in the next month.

Perth and Papua New Guinea are the favourites to earn the 18th and 19th franchises respectively, with a second Kiwi side likely to be the 20th.

The NRL's preferred timeline will likely be confirmed in September, but it is expected new teams will enter in 2027, 2028 and early in the next decade.

It is the New Zealand bid that is likely to be the most contested, with multiple parties vying to enter in different locations in the country.

There are at least three bid teams working to put together a side on the south island, with former NRL CEO David Moffett behind one and ex-Warriors coach Frank Endacott another.

And while the Warriors are the best placed they have ever been, with 14 straight sell-outs at home, Cleary believes expansion in the country should not come too fast.

"I would prefer we keep progressing with the Warriors," he said.

"They are doing really well in that space over in New Zealand. They're bridging the gap with rugby.

Cleary's comments come after Warriors coach Andrew Webster echoed a similar sentiment a fortnight ago.

"I really do hope that we keep one team in New Zealand for a lot longer, just keep making this product even better," Webster said.

"There's certainly no complacency from us as a club, as players, or staff or anyone in the club that we've hit where we want to hit.

"I'd like us to nail that first before we did (expand)."

MugaB

Coach

Ivan Cleary has warned the NRL against rushing expansion into New Zealand, fearing now is not the time to flood the market and dilute the Warriors' presence.

The NRL have started the process towards a 20-team competition, with expressions of interest for new franchises to officially be received in the next month.

Perth and Papua New Guinea are the favourites to earn the 18th and 19th franchises respectively, with a second Kiwi side likely to be the 20th.

The NRL's preferred timeline will likely be confirmed in September, but it is expected new teams will enter in 2027, 2028 and early in the next decade.

It is the New Zealand bid that is likely to be the most contested, with multiple parties vying to enter in different locations in the country.

There are at least three bid teams working to put together a side on the south island, with former NRL CEO David Moffett behind one and ex-Warriors coach Frank Endacott another.

And while the Warriors are the best placed they have ever been, with 14 straight sell-outs at home, Cleary believes expansion in the country should not come too fast.

"They are doing really well in that space over in New Zealand. They're bridging the gap with rugby.

Cleary's comments come after Warriors coach Andrew Webster echoed a similar sentiment a fortnight ago.

"I really do hope that we keep one team in New Zealand for a lot longer, just keep making this product even better," Webster said.

"There's certainly no complacency from us as a club, as players, or staff or anyone in the club that we've hit where we want to hit.

Ivan knows his shit, and that's not me being bias as a panther fan, he lived there in nz for quite a long time even got the warriors into a GF aswell as played in one himself with them (both to no avail tho)
Still him saying we need to create a winning warrior team first is more acceptable then expand, rather than dilute this attraction right now (or half decade, as seen by reports of 20th team)

Last edited:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the rise of the Warriors due to the decline of Super Rugby?

Watching from afar I get the impression that New Zealanders are turning to the All Blacks and Warriors as their two main teams?

If it's the case then a second NZ team would cannibalise the Warriors. However, if done right it could lead to the Warriors becoming a North Island team and the other representing the South Island.

MugaB

Coach
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the rise of the Warriors due to the decline of Super Rugby?

Watching from afar I get the impression that New Zealanders are turning to the All Blacks and Warriors as their two main teams?

If it's the case then a second NZ team would cannibalise the Warriors. However, if done right it could lead to the Warriors becoming a North Island team and the other representing the South Island.
No it's coz the warriors were playing good football last year, and winning many games, so much so they made it down to the last 3 teams, before the ref/linesman butchered the call with 2 fwd passes that led to a broncos steamrolling them

BuffaloRules

Coach
Ivan knows his shit, and that's not me being bias as a panther fan, he lived there in nz for quite a long time even got the warriors into a GF aswell as played in one himself with them (both to no avail tho)
Still him saying we need to create a winning warrior team first is more acceptable then expand, rather than dilute this attraction right now (or half decade, as seen by reports of 20th team)

The Warriors are very protectionist about their territory ..reminds me of the Broncos for decades…

I wonder when the Warriors think it will be the “right time “ for the second NZ team to come in … I suspect it might be the 12th of never …. What they need to understand is that the competitor might actually be good for them ..

MugaB

Coach
The Warriors are very protectionist about their territory ..reminds me of the Broncos for decades…

I wonder when the Warriors think it will be the “right time “ for the second NZ team to come in … I suspect it might be the 12th of never …. What they need to understand is that the competitor might actually be good for them ..
I know this too, and I've said it many times prior, but as far as Warriors starting to climb as a fan favourite in NZ, we don't want to dilute it just yet, much like the dolphins just starting every agrees that we need to let them sink in for atleast a decade before adding another possible SEQ team, the Warriors just got this vast amount of attention just recently, best to let it become something more before attempting to split it into two, us all I'm saying

jim_57

Staff member

Probably worse tbh… Broncos fought to remain the only team in Brisbane, Warriors are fighting to remain the only team in their whole country. Did the Broncos push back against NQ in 95? Or even Gold Coast in 07 for that matter.

I’d have to imagine the Warriors active fan base on the South Island is pretty minimal. Maybe more this year since they’ve played 2 games there but in the recent past I doubt sales of tickets, memberships & merch were huge. Wellington would hit slightly closer to home but even then they are hardly taking regular games there. A bit of competition would be good for them.

MugaB

Coach
Probably worse tbh… Broncos fought to remain the only team in Brisbane, Warriors are fighting to remain the only team in their whole country. Did the Broncos push back against NQ in 95? Or even Gold Coast in 07 for that matter.

I’d have to imagine the Warriors active fan base on the South Island is pretty minimal. Maybe more this year since they’ve played 2 games there but in the recent past I doubt sales of tickets, memberships & merch were huge. Wellington would hit slightly closer to home but even then they are hardly taking regular games there. A bit of competition would be good for them.
Cowboys also pushed back the idea of the "Cairns based" png bid at the start of this year

BuffaloRules

Coach
I know this too, and I've said it many times prior, but as far as Warriors starting to climb as a fan favourite in NZ, we don't want to dilute it just yet, much like the dolphins just starting every agrees that we need to let them sink in for atleast a decade before adding another possible SEQ team, the Warriors just got this vast amount of attention just recently, best to let it become something more before attempting to split it into two, us all I'm saying

Personally I dont really see that adding a team 1,000 kms away in Christchurch will impact too much on the Warriors …

We aren’t talking about next week either ..it’s still 6 or 7 years away at the earliest …

BuffaloRules

Coach
Pretty much anything outside of the upper north island would have negligible impact on the active Warriors fanbase. The bigger issue is probably competition for juniors.

You would know better than me … but with how many NZ juniors get poached by Aust clubs … I dont see this being a large problem if they now have an opportunity to go to another NZ team …

What about corporates and sponsorship? I could see this perhaps being a bigger potential concern …particularly at the top end of town

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I don't know, I think the whole dilute the existing team argument is so overblown in this case where the new team is in a whole different city at the other end of the country

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Pretty much anything outside of the upper north island would have negligible impact on the active Warriors fanbase. The bigger issue is probably competition for juniors and sponsorship.
I think NZ2 would probably steal more sponsorship dollars from Union than from the Warriors. Why? Because outside of the All Blacks, no NZ team is capable of getting so much consistent exposure in both NZ (longer season that Super Rugby) and in Australia (we actually watch NRL). It's that sort of attention that has sponsors wanting their name on a jersey

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cowboys also pushed back the idea of the "Cairns based" png bid at the start of this year
Vlandys has said any new club cant cannabilise existing ones. Not sure Christchurch would that much with warriors in any meaningful way though?
Given we are talking 6 or 7 years away in likelihood for NZ2 I dont get the "not yet" statments.

The positive is there seems to be 3 genuine bidders for a club so plenty of interest there.

Latest posts