What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs fullback Ben Barba stood down indefinitely

firechild

First Grade
Because the media would be all over the club trying to get a soundbite to play on the news. This way the media gets something they can play on the TV or radio and f**k off. There weren't camping outside the club for days trying to get something which makes it easier for the rest of the players and the club to focus on football

The day after this news broke the telegraph NRL page had a list of about 10-12 consecutive articles relating to Barba and the Bulldogs. I think the media would have been hanging round like a bad smell trying to get more information from the club (they all want something exclusive, not just the same info that was given to every media outlet). You may or may not be right but a lot of people feel that Greenberg simply turned it into his own media circus.

Cammo

Bench
The day after this news broke the telegraph NRL page had a list of about 10-12 consecutive articles relating to Barba and the Bulldogs. I think the media would have been hanging round like a bad smell trying to get more information from the club (they all want something exclusive, not just the same info that was given to every media outlet). You may or may not be right but a lot of people feel that Greenberg simply turned it into his own media circus.

It would have been a worse circus without the press conference.

Surely you have seen media scrums when people try and remain silent and the media run after them to their cars. This is the sort of thing that the press conference prevented.

The media could not get sensationlist headlines as Greenburg was on the front foot. You can see what is happening with The Sharks when your leadership and ability to deal with the media is not strong.

firechild

First Grade
The media could not get sensationlist headlines as Greenburg was on the front foot. You can see what is happening with The Sharks when your leadership and ability to deal with the media is not strong.

Very poor example considering Cronulla also had a press conference.

Cammo

Bench
Very poor example considering Cronulla also had a press conference.

The Sharks press conference did not help them as it did not seem confident and on the front foot. They let the media control the press conference and look at what is happening now, AND it would have been even worse for them if they had no press conference at all.

You are saying Greenburg should not have held a press conference. Please tell me how you think the media would have reacted to that if there was nothing, or if Greenburg came out saying "no comment" and seemed shaky and not confident when dealing with them.

firechild

First Grade
You are saying Greenburg should not have held a press conference. Please tell me how you think the media would have reacted to that if there was nothing, or if Greenburg came out saying "no comment" and seemed shaky and not confident when dealing with them.

Regarding the bold part, I fail to see how that is remotely relevant.

As for the rest, providing a media release as I had already mentioned, would have meant a "no comment" was unnecessary. If he was fronted by the media he could have responded with something along the lines of "I have provided a media release with all the information we can currently give. Ben is undergoing treatment and we would like to keep the details private".

Cammo

Bench
As for the rest, providing a media release as I had already mentioned, would have meant a "no comment" was unnecessary. If he was fronted by the media he could have responded with something along the lines of "I have provided a media release with all the information we can currently give. Ben is undergoing treatment and we would like to keep the details private".

And my belief is that would have created a media circus that would have spiralled out of control as the media try to dig deeper and deeper and never let Greenburg, Barba or the club alone until they get what they want.

I think the press conference is what prevented that as the media got what they wanted and could use all the sound bites they needed and there was no need for speculation as to what was going on with Ben.

The media will ravage most clubs these days if they don't hold press conferences, that is why they are so common now.

ek999

First Grade
Firechild I have one question for you. Have the Bulldogs or Barba or Greenburg suffered any negative media reaction through what has happened?

Cammo

Bench
If he was fronted by the media he could have responded with something along the lines of "I have provided a media release with all the information we can currently give. Ben is undergoing treatment and we would like to keep the details private".

Is it your honest belief that the media would have just accepted that and left the club alone?

firechild

First Grade
And my belief is that would have created a media circus that would have spiralled out of control as the media try to dig deeper and deeper and never let Greenburg, Barba or the club alone until they get what they want.

I think the press conference is what prevented that as the media got what they wanted and could use all the sound bites they needed and there was no need for speculation as to what was going on with Ben.

The media will ravage most clubs these days if they don't hold press conferences, that is why they are so common now.

Fair enough and I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. Neither of us are going to change our views. Glad it didn't turn into a typical LU bagging match.

Cammo

Bench
Fair enough and I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. Neither of us are going to change our views. Glad it didn't turn into a typical LU bagging match.

Yea, if everyone agreed on everything the world would be a pretty boring place :)

Fire

First Grade
Ben Barba to return next Thursdee night in the Grand Final replay.

The five minute promo Channel 9 will do on how "brave" and "courageous" this "great young footballer" has been to get back on the paddock will be vomit inducing shit.

Cammo

Bench
Ben Barba to return next Thursdee night in the Grand Final replay.

The five minute promo Channel 9 will do on how "brave" and "courageous" this "great young footballer" has been to get back on the paddock will be vomit inducing shit.

I agree, positive Rugby League stories are terrible

dogslife

Coach
More Barba before the game leaves less time for Tom Waterhouse and Dr Karl

f**k I hope they do voiceovers!

Fire

First Grade
I agree with that the less Waterhouse the better.

Hopefully the merkin is like a kid with a new toy and gets sick of going to matches and just sends a company rep in the future.