What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs fullback Ben Barba stood down indefinitely

Cammo

Bench
They don't know jack.

If they knew anything about anything they would have encouraged him to keep going to work.

He's not injured you clown. He doesn't require a period of rest to recuperate.

Thanks Doc

adamkungl

Immortal
While I appreciate everyone's cynicism but when has keeping someone in an institution been good for them? Get back on that bike son.

You say cynicism, I say geniusation. None of them have an idea what Barba's problem was, but are happy to say he obviously isn't ready to come back.

I rarely defend the Dogscum but fmd some people are clutching at straws in here

You say cynicism, I say geniusation. None of them have an idea what Barba's problem was, but are happy to say he obviously isn't ready to come back.

I rarely defend the Dogscum but fmd some people are clutching at straws in here

Yet on the other side of the coin, people (Doggies supporters mainly) who have no idea what Barba's problem was/is, nor what his rehab was, are quite happy to say that he is fine and that the best thing for him is to be out and playing footy again. But that sounds ok. :sarcasm:

firechild

First Grade
No CEO has ever called a press conference because a player was going to be "suspended" for having psychological problems either.

Cammo

Bench
No CEO has ever called a press conference because a player was going to be "suspended" for having psychological problems either.

So that means he has no issues? It's all Greenburgs fault. Kick the Sharks out and suspend Ryles now

firechild

First Grade
Where did I say that? I'm saying Greenberg is a dope for making it into this massive issue rather than just releasing a media statement like the other 15 CEOs would have done. He said that they contemplated sacking Barba but wanted everyone to feel sorry for him.

ek999

First Grade
Where did I say that? I'm saying Greenberg is a dope for making it into this massive issue rather than just releasing a media statement like the other 15 CEOs would have done. He said that they contemplated sacking Barba but wanted everyone to feel sorry for him.

Releasing a statement was the first thing he did. He had to call a press conference. He would have been slammed if he didn't. Imagine the outcry if they did stand him down with just a statement. The media and people on here would have absolutely crucified him.

firechild

First Grade
Why would there have been? Plenty of players have been stood down without a press conference. He just needed to say that Barba had some mental health issues he needed to work through and that would have been it. Sure the speculation would have still been there but it's not like the press conference cleared anything up or prevented the speculation.

dogslife

Coach
Yep.

"We've stood the reigning Dally M medalist down, and he won't be taking part in the season launch. No further questions"

Piece of piss huh? I'm sure everyone would've been sweet with that...

firechild

First Grade
Yep.

"We've stood the reigning Dally M medalist down, and he won't be taking part in the season launch. No further questions"

Piece of piss huh? I'm sure everyone would've been sweet with that...

No, I said he should have outlined the fact that Barba was dealing with mental health issues. It's a huge difference between just saying he's been stood down and outlining the basic reason for him being stood down. He achieved absolutely nothing with the press conference because he pretty much said he couldn't give any details anyway. How is that any different to doing the same with a media release?

Cammo

Bench
No, I said he should have outlined the fact that Barba was dealing with mental health issues. It's a huge difference between just saying he's been stood down and outlining the basic reason for him being stood down. He achieved absolutely nothing with the press conference because he pretty much said he couldn't give any details anyway. How is that any different to doing the same with a media release?

Greenburg actually achieved a lot with press conference. He got the media on side and instead of negative stories about Ben Barba and Rugby League, the stories have been mostly positive about how he is being supported and how the club and the game of Rugby League are helping a troubled young man.

Without the press conference the media would have had a field day talking about "siege mentality" and rumours around what was going on.

Can't see how it "achieved nothing"

Packy

Bench
Yet on the other side of the coin, people (Doggies supporters mainly) who have no idea what Barba's problem was/is, nor what his rehab was, are quite happy to say that he is fine and that the best thing for him is to be out and playing footy again. But that sounds ok. :sarcasm:

No. You thick merkin. We are saying that we'll leave it to the pros whose care he has been placed under.

TALENted

Juniors

Fact ! Everything toddy saids has an angle!
Can't believe the press for for his shite

Todds specials so far:
Barba press conf
Mad Monday
Stealing des

Any more?

firechild

First Grade
Greenburg actually achieved a lot with press conference. He got the media on side and instead of negative stories about Ben Barba and Rugby League, the stories have been mostly positive about how he is being supported and how the club and the game of Rugby League are helping a troubled young man.

Without the press conference the media would have had a field day talking about "siege mentality" and rumours around what was going on.

Can't see how it "achieved nothing"

Still could have all been achieved through a media release. State (without going into detail) what the issue is, say that the club is supporting him while he undergoes treatment at a rehab facility and state that they do not know how long Barba will be out of the game. How does that not achieve exactly what you have suggested the press conference did? The press conference was nothing more than Greenberg frolicking in front of the media trying to get the spotlight on himself once again.

ek999

First Grade
Because the media would be all over the club trying to get a soundbite to play on the news. This way the media gets something they can play on the TV or radio and f**k off. There weren't camping outside the club for days trying to get something which makes it easier for the rest of the players and the club to focus on football

Cammo

Bench
The press conference was nothing more than Greenberg frolicking in front of the media trying to get the spotlight on himself once again.

That is your opinion (please don't state it as fact unless you have spoken to Todd directly), I completely disagree with it