What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs offer unacceptable for O'Meley

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
hineyrulz said:
I would prefer O'Donnell over Omeley, but both would be nice ;-)

greedy much

what if we can get 70 cents a litre as well

Bigfella

Coach
I hope that when people turn their noses up at the thought of Mark O'Meley coming to our club that it is purely out of superficial antagonism to Canterbury, because in my opinion he is precisely the type of player that we need more than any.

A week to week performer in the front row, capable of all aspects of dominant front row play: brilliant metre gains, (relatively) mobile in lateral defence and capable of playing good game time (vastly improved in recent years), wonderful defender also capable of the savage hits, and most of all, a player who thrives on competition and confrontation at the highest level and instils in his teammates a belief that they can compete and win.

He is in the absolute top class of front rowers, with Steve Price, Ruben Wiki, Roy Asotasi and the Broncos famous pair.

Compare that to any prop we have had since 1986. Only Dean Pay would come close to him, and we only had Dean for a short time.

Compare what O'Meley has contributed to his club and team in the last five years to what any front rower has provided to us in the same time.

In my opinion only Fui has provided us anything near that level, and that has been in small bursts.

Vella, Cayless, Tsoulos, Stringer, Cannings ... although injury has played a part in limiting what they have done, some of them have been extremely highly paid in that time, and given back nowhere near as much as some other props provide week in and week out. Not only that, some clubs have had two or three guys of that calibre (see Broncos, Dogs, and Roosters 2002-2004). Not surprisingly,those clubs have won competitions in that time...

Stagger eel

Staff member
I would love MOM at the club he's a proven bigmatch peformer who rises to any big occasion.

spot on Bigfella.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
O'Meley is one of the best props in the world.

I'd take him in a heart beat.

Cayless couldn't even hold a candle to the bloke lol

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Cayless isn't as great as what people make out. O'meley is a genuine gun frontrower who has all the good attributes of what we need at this club eg agression, intimidation etc

Stagger eel

Staff member
Natalie's Daddy said:
I think Hagan would love to have a big go forward prop. No offence to Cayless but no other NRL club would want him.

really? have you aked them all?? how could you be so sure??

He's definitely not the player he used to be but there's not many around I'd replace him with?

cardinal

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
Cayless isn't as great as what people make out. O'meley is a genuine gun frontrower who has all the good attributes of what we need at this club eg agression, intimidation etc

Well going on their most recent games Cayless was far more impressive in the tri nations than O'meley, more agressive in defence and made more yards, hope he does that for us next year. As for people wanting to let go of Cayless, Chad, Tsolous, Ian H,Wags and Fao'soa to sign O,meley gee it would be great if we did that and he got injured, anyone remeber last year and the slight problem with depth in the front row.

Bigfella

Coach
I would love to have an O'Meley type player. I take Cardinal's point though that you need depth as well; in fact the teams that have won the comp recently have generally had somewhere between 3-4 front rowers of that calibre - often supplemented by backrowers who play a similar game.

As to who of our youth would be in a position to develop that type of game:

I hope Jake is right about Cordoba. I think he may lack the size and physical bulk to get his game to that level. I hope I am wrong. He certainly has great durability, mobility and athleticism. I would love to see him bring more of the offload he produced in the Sharks game to set up a try. We need more of our forwards hurting the opposition rather than breaking even and hoping for a brilliant performance by a halfback or our big outside backs to do so. Having last season under his belt is a huge plus.

I see more in Tsoulos than any of the youngsters; I am not concerned about a lack of perceived aggression. He has great defensive technique, good size and great skills. He has shown real determination and ability to come back from injuries. He was also brilliant in a thoroughly beaten pack in his first year of first grade. However, he has been prone to serious injuries, and his appearances over the last two years have seen him with reduced mobility and poor lateral movement. His current appearance suggests he has done plenty of work to address those issues.

Cannings has always been highly rated for size, athleticism, strength and skill. Seemed to be almost the entire package, but it is hard to remain too excited about someone who has played so little football over such a long period. He has been our strike weapon over several years but we have not been able to use him.

Assuming Cayless can sustain the form which he showed in Tri-Nations (which IMO was well above what he produced for us last season), and Fui can be suspension free, we have a very good pair of starting props. But in the modern game you need at elast 4 props available at any one time, all playing to that standard.

Given the physical demands of the game, 1-2 props are a chance to be injured at any one time.

So really it looks like we would need somewhere between 4-6 of Cayless / Moi Moi / Cordoba / Tsoulos / Cannings / Fa'oso / Oak / Paolo / Hauraki to play to or near the best of their ability and potential when they are available to win a comp this year.

Last year we probably only had Moi Moi / Cordoba / who did so with superhuman efforts from Hindmarsh carrying the load of the others.

We can probably talk as much as we like about the potential of our halves, the size and speed of our backs, and our workaholic backrow, but if we don't get a front row team working, we will be also-rans even if we make the finals on ticker.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Bigfella said:
As to who of our youth would be in a position to develop that type of game:

the closest thing to a MOM style of a player would be a kid named Tim Mannah currently in our flegg squad and was the star in the Australian school boys tour of Britain.

yy_cheng

Coach
THe dog's pack plays an arrogant psychological style. They want to get on top in any confrontation and they feed off each other. Mason, Asotasi, SBW and Shrek.

However, I feel that if they were left to their own accord, without the gang per se, they would try, but would be ineffective.

If our pack plays a conservative style, no doubt Shrek would enhance the pack but may not be as effective.

However, in saying that, and combining with Fuifui, their enthusiasm and style could be infectious and bring out the best in Cannings and some of the younger blokes. I believe he would also take alot of weight off Caylo.

BTW, is Jaycay free next year?

8. JayCay
9. Riddell
10. O'Meley

15. Moimoi
16. Cayless
17. Cannings/Fa'aoso/Tsolous/Cordoba