What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BULLDOGS v BRISBANE *live updates & discussion* LET'S GET IT ON!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
from www.bulldogs.com.au

COACH'S CORNER: PRELIMINARY FINAL
22 September 2006

This will be short.

The players are ready to do whatever it takes to win tomorrow night.

They have prepared well over the past two weeks and the return of Roy and Reni to the 17 is a bonus. They have been two of our best all year and they know how to play in the finals.

Brisbane need to be respected. They have a very good side with experience and skill in every position.

Can we beat them? Yes.

Come on Bulldogs!!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Timmah said:
from www.bulldogs.com.au

22 September 2006

This will be short.

They have prepared well over the past two weeks and the return of Roy and Reni to the 17 is a bonus. They have been two of our best all year and they know how to play in the finals.

Brisbane need to be respected. They have a very good side with experience and skill in every position.

Can we beat them? Yes.

Come on Bulldogs!!!

gee Folksy is a deep dude...isn't he?? :lol:

Timmah

Staff member
From http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20453056-23214,00.html

0,5001,5252727,00.jpg

Sonny Bill takes a seat
September 22, 2006

THE Bulldogs are poised to take one of the biggest gambles in NRL finals history by promoting Premier League halfback Ben Roberts to the centres against Brisbane tonight.

In an 11th-hour selection switch, The Daily Telegraph has learned the 2004 premier intend to bench superstar Sonny Bill Williams and move Reni Maitua to lock for the grand final qualifier.

The last-minute move is designed to give the Bulldogs added punch, with New Zealand internationals Williams and Roy Asotasi to be used as impact weapons off the interchange bench.

Despite having made just five NRL appearances this season, Roberts will be handed the monumental assignment of marking Queensland centre Brent Tate.

Normally a halfback or five-eighth, Roberts was a late Bulldogs inclusion in the opening week of the finals against Canberra, and he was the golden point hero from the Belmore outfit's round 16 win over the Warriors.

The Bulldogs camp remained tight-lipped when contacted about the selection shock last night.

Asked about Asotasi starting the match, Folkes said: "He can be a good impact player. He hasn't played for four or five weeks so his match fitness is obviously down a bit.

"But he's been working hard off the field so that will go a long way towards getting him through."

Unheralded Bulldogs prop Nick Kouparitsas, who has played just three first-grade games, will be culled from the squad.

The Bulldogs will seek to overturn a 30-0 thumping against the Broncos and qualify for their fourth grand final in 10 years.

"We haven't even mentioned the last game, so that's not in their thinking at the moment," Folkes said.

"Whatever happened in rounds one to 26 doesn't count for much in semi-finals.

"Semi-finals are what you train for and you play football to play at this time of the year, so we are really pumped up for it as Brisbane will be.

"Semi-finals are a mental game, we're fresh, everyone's fit and I think we'll be better for having the bye last week."

The Bulldogs paid the heaviest possible price the last time they met the Broncos in round 24, losing prop Asotasi and centre Willie Tonga with season-ending injuries.

But Dally M prop of the year Asotasi has since made a surprise return, getting a green light to line up for possibly his last appearance in a Bulldogs jumper after passing a final fitness test at Belmore yesterday.

Fellow Bulldogs enforcer Mark O'Meley said the Bulldogs were prepared for the Origin IV onslaught Brisbane are expected to direct at them.

"The last gam, I still think the scoreboard didn't indicate how tough the game was," O'Meley said.

The Bulldogs were given further motivation for tonight's match after former Queensland captain Trevor Gillmeister declared the Broncos had a blueprint to "bash" their way into the grand final.

Daily Telegraph

----------

I had a feeling this would happen. Sorry Koups, you were on fire two weeks ago but we need the strikepower of someone like Roberts... and have SBW and Roy off the bench is such a good thing for us...

I'm EXCITED!!!! Just 8 hours of work then I'm on my way. Good luck Brisbane, this will be one of the best finals clashes in a LONG time IMO. Come on Doggies! You can do this!

:crazy:

Noa

First Grade
The Broncs could be up by 12 before they even send him on. Imo one game out from the GF you start with your best 13 (the same go's for Mick Crocker) especially with 2 players returning from injury.

Azkatro

First Grade
Wise way to make the switch, if they do - on game day. What that means is it will come down to Lockyer having the ability to target him off the top of his head, as they won't really have time to incorporate it into their tactics.

Although I get the feeling the Dogs' wings will be bombed all night anyway.

Timmah

Staff member
Noa Nandruku said:
The Broncs could be up by 12 before they even send him on. Imo one game out from the GF you start with your best 13 (the same go's for Mick Crocker) especially with 2 players returning from injury.

The only weak link, IMO, is having Myles in ahead of Asotasi... which is to be expected with the injury return. Apart from that, the lineup is as strong as can be, and IMO, no offence to Kouparitsas, bringing Roberts in and having Maitua running at lock makes us much stronger. We are now more or less at full strength with Roy and Sonny off the bench, Brisbane will have to turn it up twice as much as they did for the Knights to inflict 12 points early.

Anyone else nervous about tonight?

Timmah

Staff member
Azkatro said:
Wise way to make the switch, if they do - on game day. What that means is it will come down to Lockyer having the ability to target him off the top of his head, as they won't really have time to incorporate it into their tactics.

Although I get the feeling the Dogs' wings will be bombed all night anyway.

I think Utai and Hazem are pretty safe under the high ball, as is Patten. Only worry might be Hodges outjumping one of them. Hopefully our defence will be good enough to not even let them near the line. :D

salivor

First Grade
Been stuggling to concentrate at work today, just bring it on! Today will answer the question whether or not last week was just a flash in the pan or we have the goods to win the premiership, can't wait.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Timmah said:
from www.bulldogs.com.au

22 September 2006

This will be short.

Can we beat them? Yes.

Come on Bulldogs!!!

I hope Steve and the puppy dogs aren't planning on turning up tomorrow night! I would at least like to see them field a team to be beaten, rather than forfeit due to a calendar misunderstanding.

Timmah

Staff member
Frank_Grimes said:
I hope Steve and the puppy dogs aren't planning on turning up tomorrow night! I would at least like to see them field a team to be beaten, rather than forfeit due to a calendar misunderstanding.

He wrote it last night, obviously, and it was posted on the website this morning.

Either way, you won't win ;-)

:crazy:!!!!

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Timmah said:
He wrote it last night, obviously, and it was posted on the website this morning.

Either way, you won't win ;-)

:crazy:!!!!

Thanks Captain Obvious.

If only you were as accurate in your prediction.

Timmah

Staff member
:lol:

Too bad the game hasn't finished yet for any prediction to be wrong or right ;-)

Latest posts