What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bullying in the media

Mark B

Juniors
If anyone has had the displeasure of seeing Paul Kent in the flesh, you will know he is a short arse. That stool he sits on whilst hosting 360 would be at maximum height.

fourplay

Juniors
I thought the banter was really funny tbh and added to the entertainment value.

It was just jokes about him not paying tax and liking cash jobs. Bit of a storm in a teacup.

Suitman

Post Whore
I thought the banter was really funny tbh and added to the entertainment value.

It was just jokes about him not paying tax and liking cash jobs. Bit of a storm in a teacup.

Ask Anthony Maroon if he thought it was a storm in a teacup.
He said it had taken a great toll on his personal life which is why he had requested many times for it to stop, both officially to management and personally (off-air) to his colleagues, who he probably thought were his mates.
The fact that management did nothing about it, and the fact that Kent and Hooper continued the childish jokes says far more about them than it does about Maroon.
The imbeciles were still joking about it after he walked off air.
Complete f**kwits.

fourplay

Juniors
Ask Anthony Maroon if he thought it was a storm in a teacup.
He said it had taken a great toll on his personal life which is why he had requested many times for it to stop, both officially to management and personally (off-air) to his colleagues, who he probably thought were his mates.
The fact that management did nothing about it, and the fact that Kent and Hooper continued the childish jokes says far more about them than it does about Maroon.
The imbeciles were still joking about it after he walked off air.
Complete f**kwits.

Them joking about him taking cash jobs "is taking a great toll on his personal life"? lol cmon. Seriously.

That he has such a hissy fit about such light hearted jokes just makes it funnier. I think he takes himself too seriously.

Suitman

Post Whore
Them joking about him taking cash jobs "is taking a great toll on his personal life"? lol cmon. Seriously.

That he has such a hissy fit about such light hearted jokes just makes it funnier. I think he takes himself too seriously.

At first, he did joke joke about it with them.
But it went on for five f**king years. How do YOU know it didn't take a toll. How do YOU know he wasn't actually submitted to a tax audit for example. It's easy for you to claim it's a storm in a teacup, but do you know all the facts?
And, I love how you ignored all the other statements I made.

fourplay

Juniors
At first, he did joke joke about it with them.
But it went on for five f**king years. How do YOU know it didn't take a toll. How do YOU know he wasn't actually submitted to a tax audit for example. It's easy for you to claim it's a storm in a teacup, but do you know all the facts?
And, I love how you ignored all the other statements I made.

I read your message but didn't know you wanted an in depth itemised response to every sentence you wrote. You should have said.

I obviously don't know for sure if some jokes about him liking cash jobs didn't "take a great toll on his personal life", but if it did, it's embarrassing that it affects him so much. I find it borderline pathetic for a grown man to be broken down by jokes about cash jobs to this extent. What kind of grown man can't handle a bit of work place banter from peers. Does he drive home from work thinking about how Paul Kent called him the "King of Cash"? Taking a toll on his personal life LOL. He doesn't need babying, he needs resilience training.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I read your message but didn't know you wanted an in depth itemised response to every sentence you wrote. You should have said.

I obviously don't know for sure if some jokes about him liking cash jobs didn't "take a great toll on his personal life", but if it did, it's embarrassing that it affects him so much. I find it borderline pathetic for a grown man to be broken down by jokes about cash jobs to this extent. What kind of grown man can't handle a bit of work place banter from peers. Does he drive home from work thinking about how Paul Kent called him the "King of Cash"? Taking a toll on his personal life LOL. He doesn't need babying, he needs resilience training.
And this my friends is why bullying is still so rife in our culture.

Tiger5150

Bench
There is obviously more to it, whether he has been audited by the ATO, or it has cost him cash jobs or has cost him other jobs, it doesnt really matter. If you are working with a bloke you respect and they ask you to cut it out, its not for for you to judge whether its a big deal or not, it is for the bloke that you are working with.

Pretty clear that Kent & Hooper have no respect for Maroon and that is for them, but the fact that they kept it going, didnt immediately pull up says WAY more about them than if Maroon is overly sensitive. FWIW I think Maroon has handled it pretty well. Cant see a way back for him after the walk out and he has resigned in a reasonable fashion.

I also think it highlights the fake tough guy culture that permeates RL. There are many guys who gravitate to RL because it is a tough sport and they need the reflected glory from it. These guys usually talk in a fake tough guy voice, consciously making sure they replace all "th"s with "f" and hoping that their being adjacent to RL fills the void left by their own insecurity. Kent & Hooper are the archetype.

Chimp

Bench
The on air ‘apology’ by Hooper was almost as much of a disgrace….
Rather predictably, ‘It’s just banter’ and ‘he can’t take a joke’ and ‘sorry IF he was offended’….
Even if you think someone is being soft or overly sensitive, if they’ve told you privately numerous times to stop it and even gone to the employer etc, it’s clear they’re not finding it funny, and it’s having an impact - to carry it on is shithouse, and in this instance is workplace bullying.
Shows how much sway Kent has at Triple M, no apology from him, not even a comment, and he’s the one who’s ensured Hooper has been looked after.
Shameful.

Hoofhearted

Juniors

Big fan of Maroon, he is the main reason that I listen to the show each week. But I must say, when it all happened I was very surprised and thought it was a gee up. I'll have to say that I agree with a lot of what Kenty says below.

Paul Kent fires back at social justice hypocrites backing Anthony Maroon​

Anthony Maroon has somehow emerged as a sympathetic victim of bullying, which suggests a man attacked without the ability to defend himself. This is a major distortion of facts but the hypocritical mental health snowflakes will never consider that, writes PAUL KENT.

Paul Kent Paul Kent
Follow

4 min read
May 9, 2022 - 6:08PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

With a fond farewell each Sunday afternoon Anthony Maroon, once the much-loved host of Triple M’s Sunday Sin Bin, now retired, would announce Happy Hour was starting and so, sadly, it was time for me to go.
When McDonald’s sponsored the show for a while I wasn’t allowed to buy a McHappy Meal.
Well, settle in, as the next six minutes or so won’t be a part of Happy Hour, either.
What has followed Maroon’s walkout two Sundays ago since is a solid distortion of facts where Maroon has somehow emerged as a sympathetic victim of bullying, which suggests a man attacked without the ability to defend himself.

Most allegations have come from those who have never listened to the show or who don’t have an understanding of what happens every week, making their accusations naive.
Maroon’s fear of the Australian Tax Office, and that he loved cash jobs, was a consistent joke on the show.
He has a sideline business hosting corporate functions alongside big name NRL stars.
It was a simple joke, not particularly funny, that was driven for no other reason than to elicit a response from him.

That was when it got funny, as one of Maroon’s great talents was the gift of being able to blow up while maintaining a laugh in his voice that brought you in on the laugh.
He was a funny man.
Sunday started normally enough until Maroon read a paid ad for Apricity Finance and Gorden Tallis, noting the irony, quipped that Maroon would “never work for an invoicing firm”.
And so it began, with Maroon quickly threatening to out myself, Tallis and James Hooper about our own private lives.
At no point was anything in the exchange said to Maroon that had not been said before. He had heard it and dealt with it all before.
“Can we get a walkout today, do you reckon?” Hooper asked.
“We might get a walkout,” Maroon said.
For weeks now we had been joking, off-air, about Maroon doing another walkout.
I say another because he walked out at Brookvale Oval five or six years back when he hosted the show with myself, Tallis and Ryan Girdler.
Back then he was gone about 45 minutes or so before he returned.
Maroon was known for grand gestures. It was part of his routine on the show.
He claimed on air in 2020 that if the Gold Coast Titans won five games in a row he would get a sex change.
The bet looked safe enough as the Titans had won just four games in total the previous season, but he was stirring the pot because Tallis was a Titans ambassador and had talked up their chances early in the season.
Then, wouldn’t you know, the Titans won the last five games of the season to land the bet, but he reneged.
Before the first round of the season a year earlier he claimed in an interview on regional radio that if the Roosters beat his Rabbitohs he would stand outside a pub in Port Macquarie in a Roosters cheergirl outfit and sing the Roosters’ team song.
The Roosters won, he reneged on the bet.
He claimed in 2019 that if Parramatta or Penrith made the top eight he would sing the national anthem at the grand final.
The Eels finished fifth and he tried to wriggle his way out of it until then-NRL boss Todd Greenberg organised it so Maroon stood on the field, mic in hand, to sing the anthem.
The point is, the grand gestures - like the walkout at Brookvale - were part of what he brought to the show.
Within that were the constant sharp insults. It made him popular, the little man fighting back.
He called Tallis “Uncle Fester” because of his bald head. He claimed Tallis was too tight to buy a car which is why he kept getting loan cars from Titans’ owner Rebecca Frizelle, and he made it a regular part of the show.
He called Aaron Woods “Sharon Woods” and when Woods walked into the studio a few weeks ago after being dropped by the Dragons he told him he heard he had a new position, “Left right out”.
Sideline eye Brent Read was “Mr Peabody” because of his thick glasses. Benji Marshall was too big a star to bother returning his calls.
Everybody gave as good as they got and Maroon was popular with listeners because he had the sharp tongue, giving it back.
Until Maroon, suddenly overly sensitive, took a tired joke and blew it up two Sundays ago.
Of course it laboured too long, which has irked some, but as someone that was part of it and had been down this road many times before we believed it was because he was simply driving it to get to the point to justify him walking out once again, making another grand gesture.
All part of the show.
Since then, though, almost all commentary around it has been of bullying and how we did not let up.
The only surprise at the time was that it took so long before he did walk out.
Since then, though, the mental health warriors have framed it as a simple case of bullying to justify what is really just a media pile on. We exposed a flank and they attacked.
The pile-on for Hooper, both in social and mainstream media, is ten-fold to what Maroon copped yet none of these mental health warriors have considered that, instead taking comfort in being part of the righteous majority.
We live in a world of snowflakes, sadly.
Maroon is being repositioned as a champion of the cause, even doing a victory dance last Friday when he was congratulated at a function for standing up to us, his persecutors.
There once was a time when lunatics on soapboxes in Hyde Park were put in the asylum.
They progressed from that to writing on the back of dunny doors.
Nowadays they live on Twitter and quickly demand not justice but a win at all costs victory, whatever the collateral damage, and since Sunday they have been tweeting hard, asking where is my apology.
Well, that won’t be happening.

Chimp

Bench
I see he gives no mention to the fact Maroon stated he has asked them off air, and spoken to management about it, which completely changes the environment - if that has happened, it’s no longer banter, it’s bullying. If it hasn’t happened, and Maroon is making up the fact he’s asked them not to, and has spoke to management about it, then I’d be with Kent…. But I expect Kent and Hooper would have called out that lie if it were the case.

Tiger5150

Bench
Wow tough guy, anti snowflake Kenty doubles down on ignorance.

All that matters is a co worker asked them to lay off (in private) and they couldnt muster up that respect. The fact that Kenty has publicly thrown him under the bus here, despite the fact that Maroon hasnt bagged these guys in public, says all that needs to be said about the two blokes.

fourplay

Juniors
FWIW I think Maroon has handled it pretty well.

If slinging dirt like bringing up others drink driving charges on air to his listeners and everything else he could is handling it well, then sure.

His melt down is embarrassing 😂

Wow tough guy, anti snowflake Kenty doubles down on ignorance.

Maroon hasnt bagged these guys in public, says all that needs to be said about the two blokes.

Yeah he has had Ray Hadley and the army of twitter snowflakes to do it for him.

Kent by name, Kent by nature.

Holy forking shirt balls. What a sociopath.

This is cyber bullying. Please stop. It may be taking an enormous toll on Kent's personal life. 😎

yobbo84

Coach
If a mate and I were joking around for years about something that I thought was inconsequential, then one day he says, repeatedly, "you know what, I actually don't like that joke, it's caused me a lot of harm, I've asked you repeatedly to stop it, so please, stop it."

You know what I - or anyone with half a conscience - would say? "Shit mate, I'm sorry, I didn't realise that, I thought it was just the usual banter between us. I'll stop it now."

I wouldn't double-down on it that's for sure. The guy has textbook narcissistic personality disorder.

fourplay

Juniors
Doesn't seem to be much support for Kent or Hooper in this thread atm, besides from one.
I'm starting to wonder why?

One reason might be with this being a "Media Watch" sub forum those who tend to dwell here have an inherent bias against the likes of Kent & Hooper.

The sentiment is quite different on other forums.

Latest posts