What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burt and Reddy

oldmancraigy

Coach
Whatever. Hayne would not displace either Boyd or Nightingale as easily as you claim. You're an Eels fan, and biased towards Hayne. The truth is the Dragons wouldn't need him because their roster is fine without him. You can carry on however you wish, but that's the truth. And you know it.

This whole argument saying that a player stinks because he wouldn't walk into another side'd starting 13 is idiotic. With Fui and Mannah on fire there aren't too many props that would walk right up into out starting 13. I guess that makes every prop other than those two crap.

Just for what it's worth: Hayne would walk into any team in the comp.

Don't worry about what their moronic fans say - ask any coach/ front office guy if they'd like to swap their fullback straight up for Hayne and you'd get a "yes please".

The only one who would say 'no' is Bellamy because he really doesn't like Hayne. But the front office would do the swap in an instant - get rid of an aging fullback for a young guy with more natural ability that anyone in the comp AND who has already won the golden boot AND still has the best part of his career ahead?

caylo

Bench
Whatever. Hayne would not displace either Boyd or Nightingale as easily as you claim. You're an Eels fan, and biased towards Hayne. The truth is the Dragons wouldn't need him because their roster is fine without him. You can carry on however you wish, but that's the truth. And you know it.

This whole argument saying that a player stinks because he wouldn't walk into another side'd starting 13 is idiotic. With Fui and Mannah on fire there aren't too many props that would walk right up into out starting 13. I guess that makes every prop other than those two crap.

You can claim im bias but we are of differnt opinion. The dragons wouldn't go after Hayne because they have very good players in their team already but if he was already in the squad he would be in the team just like Inglis was forced into the centres to accomidate slater.

If Hayne was in the dragons squad today it would be my opinnions he would either force Boyd out of fullback or he would play in the backline ahead of Hornby or Nightingale. Either way its hypothetical and not worth arguing about, you make a good point that the line of argument that a player wouldn't make anyother team is stupid and I disagree with anyone who thinks that Reddy and Burt dont have a place in our team.

Parra Pride

Referee
The only one who would say 'no' is Bellamy because he really doesn't like Hayne. But the front office would do the swap in an instant - get rid of an aging fullback for a young guy with more natural ability that anyone in the comp AND who has already won the golden boot AND still has the best part of his career ahead?

Hayne has not won the golden boot.

Its about the culture of the place.

the senior players should be looking up at a veteran of 200+ games, and i'm sure they do. But he is an average player at best who has glorified his career because he's a goal kicker.
He doesnt defend at all, he doesn't contest high balls, he doesn't get in there and help his forwards , he doesn't link with Hayne or his other winger , He's a below average ball player, i wouldn't call him a great finisher..he just finishes what he has to. He seems to have a great attitude off the field though, always impressing those he comes across and is tight with all the senior players and well respected people in the game. He is easily replaceable, and if we're fair dinkum about clearing out the place and creating a good winning culture where PLAYERS ARE ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR PERFORMANCE AND PUT IN THEIR BEST EFFORT EVERY WEEK, then Burt should be gone.

Reddy has had the same defixiencies in his game since he debuted. Gets towled up by the better centres and cant create anything for his winger. Also runs terrible lines. Sorry Reddy lovers, but why perservere with a guy who hasn't improved his average game in 5 years?

Ben Smith...we're playing a grnding style based on discipline yet he gives away ill diciplined penalties EVERY week.

What im saying is, if Kearney is serious about the culture he is trying to develop , based on discipline, and excellence in preperation and performing to your best effort every week, these are not the sort of people you want leading the way. They are 3 of the types of people who have created the current culture we have now . Would you not agree with that?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They showed us how to work a team over. Notice the ball movement, players in motion, sweeping plays across the field in possession and the offloads.

Then notice how we looked tired and holes were appearing everywhere. And yet we continue to hit it up the middle.

f**k yeah!

With our roster we should've played exactly like the Dragons!!!

I can't believe you f**king idiots are blaming the gameplan for our $2 million dollar side getting lapped by the defending premiers.

Eels Dude

Coach
Its about the culture of the place.

the senior players should be looking up at a veteran of 200+ games, and i'm sure they do. But he is an average player at best who has glorified his career because he's a goal kicker.
He doesnt defend at all, he doesn't contest high balls, he doesn't get in there and help his forwards , he doesn't link with Hayne or his other winger , He's a below average ball player, i wouldn't call him a great finisher..he just finishes what he has to. He seems to have a great attitude off the field though, always impressing those he comes across and is tight with all the senior players and well respected people in the game. He is easily replaceable, and if we're fair dinkum about clearing out the place and creating a good winning culture where PLAYERS ARE ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR PERFORMANCE AND PUT IN THEIR BEST EFFORT EVERY WEEK, then Burt should be gone.

You're just making yourself look like a fool. Burt is a terrific finisher. There's been a few tries he's scored and a few other plays he's come up with in the past couple years that no other winger in the game could pull off. He has great natural instinct for the game.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Precisely he is a very useful winger but below average fullback. Kinda makes the continuing idea of moving to Hayne a bit more ridiculous.

If Hayne had played yesterday the score would've been a lot closer.

The first time Soward made a break he would've been flattened after passing the ball. He's an absolute cat and the next time he made a break he would've thought twice about drawing the fullback.

When he got to Burt yesterday he actually took him on and just stepped out of the tackle. Can you imagine what Hayne would've done to him?

No, not a headbutt.

Eels Dude

Coach
f**k yeah!

With our roster we should've played exactly like the Dragons!!!

I can't believe you f**king idiots are blaming the gameplan for our $2 million dollar side getting lapped by the defending premiers.

Average sides on paper can still perform well if they're coached the right way. So far this season we've averaged 13.25 points per game in attack. If we keep that average up for the remainder of the season we'll be the worst attacking side since the Western Suburbs Magpies in 1999 and they were that was the worst side in the comp since the NRL began in 1998. There have been plenty of other sides worse on paper over the last 14 years than our current one who have performed a lot better.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So far this season we've averaged 13.25 points per game in attack.

Blown out by two floggings away against the two best sides in the comp.

Of our 8 games, 3 have been against top 4 sides. Another two have been against teams in the top 8.

How many other teams have played the Storm and the Dragons away from home? Because so far these two games account for a quarter of our season.

Get some perspective (Eels) dude.

Last edited:
You're just making yourself look like a fool. Burt is a terrific finisher. There's been a few tries he's scored and a few other plays he's come up with in the past couple years that no other winger in the game could pull off. He has great natural instinct for the game.

can u give me some examples of trys his scored no other winger could pull off ? Thanks.

Eels Dude

Coach
Blown out by two floggings away against the two best sides in the comp.

Of our 8 games, 3 have been against top 4 sides. Another two have been against teams in the top 8.

How many other teams have played the Storm and the Dragons away from home? Because so far these two games account for a quarter of our season.

Get some perspective (Eels) dude.

Fair point. But we also got convincingly beaten by Souths and Penrith in our homes games. Two sides that are struggling.

Eels Dude

Coach
can u give me some examples of trys his scored no other winger could pull off ? Thanks.

1. Panthers in '09, his race down field from halfway after a kick downfield to chase down Sammut and strip the ball one on one to score in the in goal.

2. Against Souths last year, he sprinted down the wing to chase just a clearing kick from halfway after he noticed Wesser was just lingering to the ball yet outsprinted him to score.

3.Against Bulldogs last year, when he noticed there was no marker off a break last year so from dummy half took a quick dart then grubbered for himself, ran around the retreating defence, and regathered to score.

4. There was a game last year where he was given the ball on the last tackle, when on the right wing, about 40 metres out. He put a banana kick bomb up which Reddy caught on the full on the RIGHT hand side of the goalposts to score.

5. City v Country last year. Playing as second receiver off a scrum 10 metres out notices the opposition winger is 5 metres infield so puts a grubber in first tackle for Robertson to score off.

Can you name me some other winger in the comp, with examples, that have come up with similar plays? Example 1 and 2 specifically.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Just for what it's worth: Hayne would walk into any team in the comp.

Don't worry about what their moronic fans say - ask any coach/ front office guy if they'd like to swap their fullback straight up for Hayne and you'd get a "yes please".

You can claim im bias but we are of differnt opinion. The dragons wouldn't go after Hayne because they have very good players in their team already but if he was already in the squad he would be in the team just like Inglis was forced into the centres to accomidate slater.

If Hayne was in the dragons squad today it would be my opinnions he would either force Boyd out of fullback or he would play in the backline ahead of Hornby or Nightingale. Either way its hypothetical and not worth arguing about, you make a good point that the line of argument that a player wouldn't make anyother team is stupid and I disagree with anyone who thinks that Reddy and Burt dont have a place in our team.

Look, fair enough, guys.

All I am trying to say is that players don't always fit into certain teams. Fui, IMO, is the game's best prop. He mightn't get a gig at too many clubs because of his age, his judiciary record and because a lot of the NRL clubs these days have a good prop rotation. But that does not necessarily mean Fui is a bad player. Far from it.

Hayne is a superstar. Easily the most athletic and gifted back in the game. But I am just saying that he might not fit into every team's culture or (dare I say it) structure, and that does not mean he's a bad player.

Luke Burt and Joel Reddy might not walk right up and start in other sides' top 13. That does not prove how good or bad they are. That's all I'm saying.

But I certainly appreciate both your points of view.

Eelementary

Post Whore
1. Panthers in '09, his race down field from halfway after a kick downfield to chase down Sammut and strip the ball one on one to score in the in goal.

2. Against Souths last year, he sprinted down the wing to chase just a clearing kick from halfway after he noticed Wesser was just lingering to the ball yet outsprinted him to score.

3.Against Bulldogs last year, when he noticed there was no marker off a break last year so from dummy half took a quick dart then grubbered for himself, ran around the retreating defence, and regathered to score.

4. There was a game last year where he was given the ball on the last tackle, when on the right wing, about 40 metres out. He put a banana kick bomb up which Reddy caught on the full on the RIGHT hand side of the goalposts to score.

5. City v Country last year. Playing as second receiver off a scrum 10 metres out notices the opposition winger is 5 metres infield so puts a grubber in first tackle for Robertson to score off.

Can you name me some other winger in the comp, with examples, that have come up with similar plays? Example 1 and 2 specifically.

Agree with all those examples! And the Dogs try was freaking sensational! Vintage Burty!

All truely remarkable plays :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy: . You want me to give u examples of where wingers have chased kicks and scored over the years? You got me mate, I can't. Clearly no other winger in the comp could do that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You want me to give u examples of where wingers have chased kicks and scored over the years? You got me mate, I can't. Clearly no other winger in the comp could do that.

How about you give us one example of one other winger doing all that in just two seasons.

Of course freak tries happen all the time, and every winger has at least one in his career.

But Luke Burt has been doing it consistently for over ten years. The only one with that kind of record is the current Australian fullback.

Latest posts